Anyone here using Event Ghost and switching between apps? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm trying to set up Event Ghost so that I can switch between XBMC, WMC and Windows Basic functionality and not have to worry about the fact that some shortcuts may not work properly / cause conflicts

It looks like using the plugin Tasks / Switch should be the solution I need but I can't figure out how to switch between apps properly.

As it is, when XBMC is enabled using "Enable Exclusive" everything is disabled. That's perfect. The problem is I have no idea how then to switch to another app that is currently disabled. So I open WMC, Eventghost still stays stuck on XBMC

I'm guessing that "Task.Deactivated" needs to be used somehow but not sure where it would need to be placed in order to be able to switch between apps.

Anyone know how to handle this? I've added my config as well

setup.xml 74k .xml file I
Attached Files
File Type: xml setup.xml (74.0 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I ran into the same problem a few months ago, after using EventGhost for several years. I gave IntelliRemote a try, and found it to be much easier for me. Part of its built-in functionality is to sense which app has the focus, and change to that profile automagically. I use it with a USB-UIRT IR receiver and a URC 850 remote.

It's dependably switching between XBMC, ZoomPlayer, MPC-HC and TMT5.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd2k View Post

I'm trying to set up Event Ghost so that I can switch between XBMC, WMC and Windows Basic functionality and not have to worry about the fact that some shortcuts may not work properly / cause conflicts

It looks like using the plugin Tasks / Switch should be the solution I need but I can't figure out how to switch between apps properly.

As it is, when XBMC is enabled using "Enable Exclusive" everything is disabled. That's perfect. The problem is I have no idea how then to switch to another app that is currently disabled. So I open WMC, Eventghost still stays stuck on XBMC

I'm guessing that "Task.Deactivated" needs to be used somehow but not sure where it would need to be placed in order to be able to switch between apps.

Anyone know how to handle this? I've added my config as well

setup.xml 74k .xml file I

Using start application works just fine for switching between steam big picture and xbmc for me.
post #4 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pagali - I may consider that if I can't get Event Ghost to work. Just not willing to spend $24 at the moment as I think I can set up Event Ghost to do the same if there was better tutorials online. I haven't had much luck finding any detail online of what I want to do even though I would think it's pretty common

macks - how so?
post #5 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 PM

It hard to describe since EG configuration is so graphical. Also the best approach depends some on exactly how your remote behaves. I'll assume the remote always sends the same IR codes for every individual key. In that case the easiest would be to create several folders, one for each major activity (i.e., WMC, XBMC, Windows). Each folder needs to contains the same macros with triggering IR events for every remote function key since they are always the same IR codes but then you assign different Actions depending on what activity (folder) it's in. Also you create global macros, one for each remote key that *switches* to an activity. In the global macro(s) you *enable* the folder for that activity and disable all the others. When you switch, you repeat for a new folder so that one and only one folder is active at a time. Also these gloabl "switching" macros also usually do whatever Actions you need to actually begin the activity (i.e., launch WMC, launch XBMC, etc.)

The initialization becomes a little tricky because you need to have at least one folder enabled to get functionality so you either have to define some "initilization" macros that will allow to to select any activity or you always need to start up the same way into media center or whatever you think your "home page" app is and then make sure that activity folder is enabled at start. The best way is to define some remote command that can actively *force* you into default activity mode.

This become a lot easier if you use a remote like a harmony with fully definable keys depending on activity selected from the remote. Then the multiple folder/activity config isn't necessary at all because the remote changes IR codes depending on activity. You can put all macros in one always-enabled folder since the IR code triggers can't conflict with one another.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I actually have a Harmony One. When you say remote changes IR codes depending on activity, does that mean you're using different remote configs so that the button presses will be different? If so, I didn't even think of doing that. I could just use another remote config since I'm not locked down to a Windows remote. I'm using a USB UIRT as well. Or did you mean something else?

It seems like I got things working without having to use the Task / Switch Plug in. Not sure if it's because I now am launching the apps through Event Ghost but I no longer have conflicts like I was having that lead me to use Task / Switch in the first. I haven't fully tested it, though
post #7 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM

Yes. Kind of. EG responds via an "event" which is the actual IR code it receives. You can put any IR event in as the trigger for a macro. It doesn't really have to be something specific like the code the Media Center Remote sends for "play". You can change the trigger to any code from any device to start media center "play" as long as you know what the code is. In your case one way to do it is to just have one folder for all your macros in EG for all the activities. In your Harmony activities you include "dummy" devices; ones you don't have and that don't conflict with other remote codes. So, e.g., put a Marantz receiver in the Harmony "Watch WMC activity". Now when you start that activity, the IR codes for the Marantz reciever device will be available to assign to Harmony keys. You assign ones that might be unique for that activity then test them to EG (watch what code comes up in the LH status pane when you send it). Use that code as the trigger for a marco that needs to be specific to that activity in EG. Repeat for any unique macros/functions. Repeat that again for XBMC, adding say, a Sony BR player model in that Harmony activity and using it's codes to trigger any unique XBMC macros.

That way you avoid having to switch folder enabling/disabling at all.

If you don't like that approach (cuz it is a lot of work) then you can instead use the procedure I outlined before. Individual folders in EG for each activity with separate macros for each Harmony remote key function. A set of "global" macros that "enable exclusive" the correct EG folder for that activity and use a unique IR code trigger for each. Then you set up the Harmony activity switching to send that unique IR code at some point in it's start up process. Again you may need to include a device in your Harmony set up that you don't really have in order to get some codes that are unique and won't conflict with other devices you really do have.

ED: I'd be happy to send you my EG config xml as an example you can load and look at. I don't do exactly what you are doing but I incorporate some of those same things in it. I don't use XBMC but I do use MPC being launched from MyMovies in WMC and it's kind of the same thing; needing to switch EG folder contexts when I start MPC-HC from WMC control to MPC-HC control. If you want it PM me with an email where I can send an attachment and I will.
post #8 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok thanks for your help! Pming now. Can't hurt to have a look. May learn from it smile.gif
post #9 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's the one thing I hate about Eventghost. I wish you could switch profiles by using the command line exactly like Xpadder does. The way I do it with Eventghost is by creating an Autohotkey script that detects when my application is closed> kills eventghost> launches the new evenghost profile along with the application.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 PM

You probably can.

eventghost.exe -e "mceremote.play"

Will send the mceremote play command to EG as if you had pressed the button. You can send any IR command that way if you know the text version of the code and you can get it from EG by testing it with the remote.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Not really the way I wan't it. The way xpadder works is: xpadder.exe wmc
This loads the profile you have for Windows Media Center. If you would like to switch profiles. xppadder.exe firefox
This would switch to the firefox profile. With eventghost if you try to do this. I forgot EG's command line but if you the equivalent
you get a dialog box asking you if you wan't to switch profiles. Not really ideal for an 10' UI.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 PM

Eventghost is very powerful and can easily switch between apps without requiring command line intervention or popups. Use the task switch plugin and a folder for each app with the commands in it. Then when a program is activated associate that event with a command to give that program's folder exclusivity from the other apps.

As mentioned before it is difficult to explain since it is more GUI dependent.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 12:47 PM

post #14 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd2k View Post

Pagali - I may consider that if I can't get Event Ghost to work. Just not willing to spend $24 at the moment as I think I can set up Event Ghost to do the same if there was better tutorials online. I haven't had much luck finding any detail online of what I want to do even though I would think it's pretty common

macks - how so?

I simply use a start application macro for xbmc and one for steam with buttons mapped on my remote(lcd screen).
post #15 of 20 Old 04-08-2013, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I managed to get this working for the most part. Thanks glorpsd for your config!

What I'm stuck with now is not being able to get out of screensaver mode. The attached config is how I currently have things set up. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get out of screensaver mode. Even if I launch XBMC or WMC I can hear the apps in the background but the screensaver stays. Anyone know how to handle?

config.JPG 43k .JPG file

setup2.xml 91k .xml file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg config.JPG (43.0 KB, 26 views)
Attached Files
File Type: xml setup2.xml (91.4 KB, 18 views)
post #16 of 20 Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyborg View Post

Eventghost is very powerful and can easily switch between apps without requiring command line intervention or popups. Use the task switch plugin and a folder for each app with the commands in it. Then when a program is activated associate that event with a command to give that program's folder exclusivity from the other apps.

As mentioned before it is difficult to explain since it is more GUI dependent.
This is a problem since I use Internet explorer to launch different websites in Kiosk mode. Each requiring a different profile.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo90017 View Post

This is a problem since I use Internet explorer to launch different websites in Kiosk mode. Each requiring a different profile.

Yeah that is a special case. You would be able to just pass an event via the command line to do what you need. I would have a folder for Internet Explorer that was activated exclusively from other apps using the task switcher plugin. Then within it have subfolders that were activated exclusively from command line events. Within each subfolder have all of your specific remote commands for each website. Pass your events to eventghost using the command line

Eventghost.exe -e "specific ie subprofile"

You should never get a prompt with this method. Once your subprofile is active then you pass commands from the remote like normal. When you exit and go back to your front end the task/switch plugin generates an event that you use to exclusively enable the top level folder for your front end.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-17-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone know how to handle the screensaver issue I'm currently facing?
post #19 of 20 Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
If you hit one of the arrow buttons on your remote that is the equivalent of hitting an arrow key on a keyboard. That should easily defeat a screensaver.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That is what I would expect but the thing is that I want event ghost to switch between different profiles depending on the app. So if xbmc is loaded, functions are different than when I load wmc

That seems to work well. I even have a profile for windows that activates when I'm on my desktop or metroui

Neither of those two help when the screen saver is running though

The crazy thing is that I can still do stuff in the background which makes no sense. I can launch wmc or xbmc and the screen saver will continue to run. Not sure if it's a windows 8 bug with event ghost but as of now I've disabled my screen saver so that it doesn't happen anymore

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 2
Reply Home Theater Computers