Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My setup:

CPU: i3 3225
Mobo: ASRock Z77E-itx
RAM 8GB 1600
Hard Drive: Hyperx 128 SSD

I have an HDHomeRun Prime setup and am watching TV through WMC. Are there any settings that I am missing or is there a guide for the best OS/software configurations to watch live TV with this setup? It looks okay, but I didn't think it would look so streamy, if that makes sense. I am on a gig LAN so don't think bandwidth is an issue. I also have shark007 codecs installed.

I am also streaming 1080p blu ray rips to WMC with media browser and media center master. If you guys have any suggestions on how I should set things up to get the highest quality possible, I would really appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My TV is a Samsung UN55D8000 if there are any recommended settings you guys have for it as well. Thank you.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Did you set up your TV in the Settings section of WMC?

post #4 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Did you set up your TV in the Settings section of WMC?

I just ran that, and it seemed to help some. Any other suggestions or resources for best OS/graphics/TV settings for HTPCs? Thanks.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

Donald, I doubt anyone here has any idea what you mean by "streamy".  Only UN5D8000 owners with HTPC setups know what you're talking about.:)  Luckily, I have the same exact setup as you... same TV, and also live TV recordings from my HTPC... and, know exactly how to fix that problem.

Our TV is extremely sensitive to HDMI video input frame-rate and respective vertical refresh rate.  This is especially true if you enable True-Motion.  The only input it will play back flawlessly.. and liquid smooth video input is:

23.976FPS+23.976Hz or 24.000FPS+24.000Hz synched perfectly

You can setup your HTPC to output all content.. TV and Movies to... 23.976FPS/24.000FPS + 23.976Hz/23.976FPS.

You can do this by learning how to use MadVR's advanced IVTC + changing the refresh rate output to 24Hz.  I use a different method than MadVR to enable IVTC; but, the results are pretty much the same.

Alternatively, you can try the below method; which is not near as nice as the above method; but, isn't near as bad as it can be:

Change your TV's True Motion setting to the "Clear" preset.  Use a current generation video card such as a $115 Nvidia GT640 (Keplar GPU); and, enable IVTC.  With a relatively fast PC, video shouldn't be too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldkbart23 View Post

My TV is a Samsung UN55D8000 if there are any recommended settings you guys have for it as well. Thank you.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

Donald, I doubt anyone here has any idea what you mean by "streamy".  Only UN5D8000 owners with HTPC setups know what you're talking about.smile.gif  Luckily, I have the same exact setup as you... same TV, and also live TV recordings from my HTPC... and, know exactly how to fix that problem.

Our TV is extremely sensitive to HDMI video input frame-rate and respective vertical refresh rate.  This is especially true if you enable True-Motion.  The only input it will play back flawlessly.. and liquid smooth video input is:

You can setup your HTPC to output all content.. TV and Movies to... 23.976FPS/24.000FPS + 23.976Hz/23.976FPS.

You can do this by learning how to use MadVR's advanced IVTC + changing the refresh rate output to 24Hz.  I use a different method than MadVR to enable IVTC; but, the results are pretty much the same.

Alternatively, you can try the below method; which is not near as nice as the above method; but, isn't near as bad as it can be:

Change your TV's True Motion setting to the "Clear" preset.  Use a current generation video card such as a $115 Nvidia GT640 (Keplar GPU); and, enable IVTC.  With a relatively fast PC, video shouldn't be too bad.

Great! Glad I'm not crazy. In order for me to get the HTPC to show up correctly on my TV was by changing the source name to PC which disabled quite a bit of options in my TV's menu including the true motion setting. Is this the best method or is there a different way to get the screen to show correctly? Does this affect anything if I am going to try the first method you listed? I'm going to start messing with it is there a good resource link you might have to walk me through it in the meantime?

Also the case I purchased does not have an expansion card slot, so installing another graphics card would require me to purchase one and a different case. Will the first method work with the integrated graphics on my i3? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

Donald, I doubt anyone here has any idea what you mean by "streamy".  Only UN5D8000 owners with HTPC setups know what you're talking about.smile.gif  Luckily, I have the same exact setup as you... same TV, and also live TV recordings from my HTPC... and, know exactly how to fix that problem.

I changed the refresh rate and that made the picture not fit on the TV anymore and looking at the madVR thing, I'm going to need some pointers lol. I'm a network admin and pretty tech savvy so I have no doubt I can learn, but just getting into video and audio.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

On our TV, when you change the refresh rate, you will need to review all your settings on the TV again for the new refresh rate/resolution.  You'll need to change the settings again specifically for the new refresh rate.  So, in this case, after you change the refresh rate, you'll have to set the "TV-fitting/scaling" setting.  I can't remember the name of the TV setting name.  BTW:  In order to watch most of the live TV you record in 24Hz, you'll need some kind of ivtc.  I dont think your intel display driver has an ivtc setting.  If there isn't one, you'll have to get ivtc in madVR.

Unfortunately, I dont know much about the settings for madVR, I use a different method... using the old school dscaler (IVTC Mod) mpeg2 decoder.  This method works better for slower CPUs; and, for people who can't or dont want to lose the ability of their EVR render.  It seems like madVR is much more popular though.  Your best bet would be to take some time to learn how to use madVR.   You can ask you questions in the official MadVR thread (I think it's on the doom9 forum).  They can help you figure out how to use ivtc on live TV and how to change your refresh rate to 24Hz when necessary.  Ultimately, MadVR will be your key to a smooth picture (as long as your PC's CPU is fast enough). 

If you find out that MadVR is not for you, send me private message on this forum, and, I'll do my best to get you started using dscaler IVTC mod + Reclock (which is exactly what I use).

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldkbart23 View Post

I changed the refresh rate and that made the picture not fit on the TV anymore and looking at the madVR thing, I'm going to need some pointers lol. I'm a network admin and pretty tech savvy so I have no doubt I can learn, but just getting into video and audio.

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page