Using HDMI Splitter with HTPC HDMI out port - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
dpn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Gigabyte motherboard with 2 HDMI out ports. I have one port feeding an Onkyo Receiver/Mitsubishi projector, and the 2nd HDMI out port feeding a Phillips TV. All works great as CLONED displays.

I would like to SPLIT the output currently going to the TV, and route 1 leg to the TV, and the 2nd split leg to another TV using a Monoprice HDMI splitter, but I keep getting a blue screen.

Can you split HTPC output???

Thanks in advance.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
dpn

Well, I tried turning off the HTPC and all other items and THEN plugging in the Splitter, and now I can get the Onkyo Receiver and the Sanyo TV, OR the Onkyo Receiver and the Phillips TV, but never all three visible in PLAYBACK DEVICES.

To get the Phillips TV back I have to physically UNPLUG the Sanyo TV HDMI cable from the splitter, and the same to get the Sanyo to display.

Isn't there ANY way to have all 3 possible PLAYBACK DEVICES accessible? hate to have to plug and unplug HDMI cables and/or power cords to get access.

I only want one display visible at a time...

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpn View Post

I have a Gigabyte motherboard with 2 HDMI out ports. I have one port feeding an Onkyo Receiver/Mitsubishi projector, and the 2nd HDMI out port feeding a Phillips TV. All works great as CLONED displays.

I would like to SPLIT the output currently going to the TV, and route 1 leg to the Phillips HD TV, and the 2nd split leg to a SANYO TV in another room using a Monoprice HDMI splitter, but I keep getting a blue screen.

Can you split HTPC output???

Thanks in advance.

David
post #3 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can split HDMI output from an HTPC just fine. The problem is that the HDCP will not work. So while you can clone the desktop and view it, and WMC and possibly any non copy protected material, if you try to watch liveTV or recordedTV, its going to flash up the HDCP error. The other issue you will get is that even if you get it working, your audio is going to go down to the least common demoniator. So if your TV can't handle DTS-MA or TrueHD, you won't get that on the AVR either.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
dpn

Thanks for the reply!

The good thing is I don't rely on my HTPC for live TV or recorded TV. I just want to be able to play Media Browser in WMC, and MAYBE do some web surfing.

I CAN get 7.1 audio on my Onkyo Receiver when I select it as my PLAYBACK DEVICE in Windows. (Right click the SPEAKER icon.)

I can get 2 Channel Stereo on the Phillips TV or the Sanyo TV once I change one or the other to DEFAULT DEVICE in PLAYBACK DEVICE.

But in PLAYBACK DEVICES I will see HT-RC460 (Onkyo Receiver) AND Sanyo (TV) or HT-RC460 (Onkyo Receiver) AND Phillips HD TV, but never ALL 3 at the same time!

I'm just trying to eliminate having to physically plug and unplug an HDMI cable into the splitter to get thsi to work. Maybe I won't be able to eliminate this step.

Thanks again,

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

You can split HDMI output from an HTPC just fine. The problem is that the HDCP will not work. So while you can clone the desktop and view it, and WMC and possibly any non copy protected material, if you try to watch liveTV or recordedTV, its going to flash up the HDCP error. The other issue you will get is that even if you get it working, your audio is going to go down to the least common demoniator. So if your TV can't handle DTS-MA or TrueHD, you won't get that on the AVR either.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page