Plasma Flicker? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-2013, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I recently purchased a LG 50PM9700 plasma that replace and old Toshiba LCD. One thing I noticed is whenever I have my HTPC set at 60hz I can see it flicker (I guess that's what it's called?) But if I set it to 24hz I don't see any flicker at all. 24hz is fine when watching my bluray rips but 98% of the time the HTPC is used to playback Live and Recorded OTA using Mediaportal. Is this just one of the drawbacks of using a plasma instead of and LCD or is there something i'm missing? The HTPC is connected through HDMI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
From doing a quick search, this Plasma seems to display 24p signals at 72Hz (24x3) and it will be showing 60Hz at 60Hz. (no plasma will be refreshing at 120Hz - as the refresh rate is increased, image quality decreases)
Flicker is one of the reasons I won't use a Plasma - even at 72Hz I see them flickering.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Plasma flickers because it has much faster pixel response time than any LCD. It is like the CRT tv. LCDs, even at 240hz, have noticeable slow pixel response time that you will never notice flickering even st 30hz. The trade off is smearing.

Unfortunately, the static content of a PC will make the flickering of a plasma very noticeable although it is less noticeable when displaying whole screen video.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express
post #4 of 5 Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Plasma flickers because it has much faster pixel response time than any LCD. It is like the CRT tv. LCDs, even at 240hz, have noticeable slow pixel response time that you will never notice flickering even st 30hz. The trade off is smearing.
That's not right at all. OLEDs don't flicker, and they have faster response times than Plasma by an order of magnitude. Plasmas flicker just because of the way they work. They create shades by pulsing the pixels on/off, they don't have variable brightness levels for each pixel. Most are now doing this at least 10 times per frame. (hence the "600Hz" marketing numbers when they are actually only displaying 60Hz)
post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

That's not right at all. OLEDs don't flicker, and they have faster response times than Plasma by an order of magnitude. Plasmas flicker just because of the way they work. They create shades by pulsing the pixels on/off, they don't have variable brightness levels for each pixel. Most are now doing this at least 10 times per frame. (hence the "600Hz" marketing numbers when they are actually only displaying 60Hz)

Sample and hold (OLED/LCD) versus PWM plasma on/off.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page