Toslink -> INSANITY, looking for spdif optical out with NO issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Sony AVR I am real happy with, but no HDMI, and distance and ground (hum) rule out analog and coax, so I need Toslink. It does support a bunch of input modes up to DTS ES 24/96, so I would like an output device (USB or card) with drivers that seamlessly support any and all possible output options. I'd also like the cheapest, but as my sanity slips away I'm growing less frugal.

MSI 880GM P51 16GB ram, 120GB SSD, win7 64, fussing with foobar, but ultimately WMC which I had working FINE on an older Biostar motherboard.

MSI has a great audio chip VIA® VT1828S, header on motherboard, no bracket, lots of spdif output modes, no Dolby license and no encoding. I'm currently using a Diamond XS71DDL, with Dolby Digital Live, but no DTS or above 16/48.

I am considering the idea of dumping any game play, but not sure if that eliminates the need for encoding to play back all file types, so any suggestions on either path welcome. I am open to almost any idea from running Linux, to swapping motherboards, but prefer to keep ram and amd 905e.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I'd get a new AVR.

post #3 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Headphone-Audio-Card/dp/B0045JHJSS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You can try a sound card like this. I added a similar one to a Dell Inspiron computer to get DD and DTS to a Sony receiver as well. I was having a tough time at first getting the AVR to light up as a digital signal, but after tweaking the software or ffmpeg or other, to pass thru the right signal it worked.

Failing that I a new receiver may be in order.

Note: the first pic in the Amazon link appears to be wrong (second one looks right), but the description seems to be the right product.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've considered a new AVR, but only the top of the line Pioneer Elite have similar quality and type of all digital output stages etc. I like to make my upgrades at meaningful technology milestones, not accommodation to arbitrary format changes with no quality improvements. My Sony BTW does work fine with all the lights if the source provides a properly encoded signal like on a DVD etc.

That specific Xonar card does not support any encoding for digital output, only pass through, which in many cases means PCM stereo only.

This is a problem I could easily throw money and solve, HT Omega Claro+, new motherboard, new AVR, but it irks me that apparently the incredibly cheap feature I want is only bundled with the most expensive totally unused and unwanted analog output devices.

What was once a search for cheapest that works, is turning into which of the unwanted expensive options is the least distasteful, Sound output device or new motherboard.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page