emulator question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will my Xbox controller work for my emulator games, if yes do I have to program it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm assuming you're trying to use a wireless Xbox 360 controller with a Windows 7/8 computer? If so, you'll need one of these if you don't have one already. Follow the directions in the customer reviews. It has worked with over a dozen emulators I've tried so far.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-08-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

So the usb dongle
that I have for my windows 7 remote will not work?
post #4 of 18 Old 04-08-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

So the usb dongle
that I have for my windows 7 remote will not work?

Correct, that dongle is most likely ir or assuming its rf it will be a different frequency and signal than that of the 360 controllers.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post

Correct, that dongle is most likely ir or assuming its rf it will be a different frequency and signal than that of the 360 controllers.
Would the wired ish controller.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-09-2013, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I'm assuming you're trying to use a wireless Xbox 360 controller with a Windows 7/8 computer? If so, you'll need one of these if you don't have one already. Follow the directions in the customer reviews. It has worked with over a dozen emulators I've tried so far.

Do you use game browser ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 18 Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I just set up Game Browser over the weekend. For a controller I am using a Wiimote and the Wii Classic Controller pad for the vintage systems. I haven't tried it yet buy I think the nunchuk will be a good stand in for an Atari 2600 controller. Wii works using bluetooth, so you need an adapter on your PC but it works well.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #8 of 18 Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There is Xbox controllers with USB ends in eBay very cheap. Or USB adapter plug adapters. FYI

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 18 Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
as other said, you will need the Microsoft gaming reciever (USB dongle) or a working knockoff. The problem I have encountered with it, you can only use it with Microsoft certified Games for Windows. The drivers for the Gamepad and Wireless receiver doesn't include anyway to map key strokes. There was some third party apps, but I don't know if they still exists or supported.

The good thing about the Gaming receiver, it supports all of Microsofts gaming controllers including the Wireless racing wheel.

I don't know have one, so I can't say with certainty, but the USB wired Xbox 360 controller works on the PC. And I think it works with non-certified Games for Windows games.

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but you're probably better off buying just a good PC gamepad from one of the third parties.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I imagine running GlovePIE would allow a 360 remote to be mapped to any key on the keyboard. It looks a bit intimidating to set up at first but it really isn't too bad. Thats what I used to set up the Wiimote.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
post #11 of 18 Old 04-09-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Most of the games that I plan to play on the emulator are from my youth, So it would be NES, SNES and Genesis games. So even if I did get the dongle, the xbox controller would not work on these games? But a regular PC game controller will. If so does anyone recommend a specific one?

Best
post #12 of 18 Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914 View Post

So even if I did get the dongle, the xbox controller would not work on these games?
The full blown emulation from within my media center is still on my to do list, but it's getting very close to the top. The controller would work fine, see below
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekeiiy View Post

as other said, you will need the Microsoft gaming reciever (USB dongle) or a working knockoff. The problem I have encountered with it, you can only use it with Microsoft certified Games for Windows. The drivers for the Gamepad and Wireless receiver doesn't include anyway to map key strokes. There was some third party apps, but I don't know if they still exists or supported.

Without any extra work, you are correct

I have no idea how many 3rd party apps there are, but two that I know work fine are event ghost and joy2key. For the purpose of using the wireless 360 controller as a retro gamepad the easiest method is as follows
  • Configure emulators (retroarch, snes9x, zsnes, Project64, etc) to your own "universal list" of keyboard presses (arrow keys, a, b, w, s, z, etc) for however many you need
  • Map the "logical-to-you" versions of those keys to your 360 controller using event ghost, joy2key, xpadder (note joystick or directional pad if you prefer)
  • Don't forget to map something to either ESC or Alt+F4 (depending on your Gamebrowser / RomCollectionBrowser setup)
post #13 of 18 Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

The full blown emulation from within my media center is still on my to do list, but it's getting very close to the top. The controller would work fine, see below
Without any extra work, you are correct

I have no idea how many 3rd party apps there are, but two that I know work fine are event ghost and joy2key. For the purpose of using the wireless 360 controller as a retro gamepad the easiest method is as follows
  • Configure emulators (retroarch, snes9x, zsnes, Project64, etc) to your own "universal list" of keyboard presses (arrow keys, a, b, w, s, z, etc) for however many you need
  • Map the "logical-to-you" versions of those keys to your 360 controller using event ghost, joy2key, xpadder (note joystick or directional pad if you prefer)
  • Don't forget to map something to either ESC or Alt+F4 (depending on your Gamebrowser / RomCollectionBrowser setup)

Every emulator I've tried including the ones you've mentioned (except maybe retroarch which I haven't tried) support the Xbox 360 controller natively. You don't need joy2key or anything like that. After you've installed the drivers for the controller, you just open the emulator and map everything using the controller.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Full blown emulation is also on my to do list

-

post #15 of 18 Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Full blown emulation is also on my to do list

It takes A LONG time to get set up. Probably a lot of it has to do with this being the first time I've ever messed around with any of these (other than briefly in college and I thought they were too buggy and a waste of time). NES seems to be the easiest.

I think for me a lot of my problem is trying to make the Wiimote play nicely. It works great with NES. I spent about 5 hours last night screwing around with the controls on the Wii Classic Controller and trying to make the SNES and Genesis emulators play nicely with both the Wii remote software and Game Browser.

I've been documenting how and what I'm doing to I can add it to the Game Browser setup faqs since several of the emulators had no setup documentation and there is nothing about using a Wiimote at all, which I think could be a popular option.

Trying to come up with a control scheme for N64 is going to be a pain. I think I'll use the analog stick only for directional movement and the dpad as the yellow C buttons.

My HTPC front end set up
post #16 of 18 Old 04-10-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

It takes A LONG time to get set up. Probably a lot of it has to do with this being the first time I've ever messed around with any of these (other than briefly in college and I thought they were too buggy and a waste of time). NES seems to be the easiest.

I think for me a lot of my problem is trying to make the Wiimote play nicely. It works great with NES. I spent about 5 hours last night screwing around with the controls on the Wii Classic Controller and trying to make the SNES and Genesis emulators play nicely with both the Wii remote software and Game Browser.

I've been documenting how and what I'm doing to I can add it to the Game Browser setup faqs since several of the emulators had no setup documentation and there is nothing about using a Wiimote at all, which I think could be a popular option.

Trying to come up with a control scheme for N64 is going to be a pain. I think I'll use the analog stick only for directional movement and the dpad as the yellow C buttons.

I really wouldn't bother with a Wii classic controller. A wired (or wireless) Xbox360 controller works significantly better. If you want a more authentic feel, you can pick up a usb version of your favorite controller. RetroUSB is one provider: http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=05e7efd624d6698663a9742d111baa7b

If anyone cares, my opinions on best Nintendo emulators. They are the most accurate, and therefore will require significantly more cpu horsepower than others:

NES: Nestopia
SNES: Higan (BSNES)
N64: Project64
post #17 of 18 Old 04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I do think the Xbox 360 is best. It's a high quality controller and every emulator I tried supports it out of the box. The one downside other than having to buy a proprietary wireless receiver is the crappy d-pad. I've just gotten use to using the analog stick in old games. You could try the fancier Xbox 360 controller with the twisting d-pad.

The PS3 controller sounded like it would be great, but driver support is abysmal. I can't stand MotionJoy.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-10-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a PS2 style controller by Logitech that was always great on pc games like Vice City and San Andreas, but the dpad was impossible to use with the NES games. You were constantly facing the wrong way and the sensetivity control didn't seem to help. I already had several Wiimote and bluetooth adapter so it was kind of a no brainer to try that before buying more remotes.

My HTPC front end set up
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page