How to get Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and Dolby Digital Plus on Desktop Computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I currently use my desktop computer as my Blu-ray player for my TV, everything works great expect for the audio quality. With this setup I do not get the Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and Dolby Digital Plus audio quality that I would get with an AV receiver or other Home Theater equipment. My question is what sound card do I need to purchase to get the Blu-ray audio quality out of standard computer speakers? I am trying to avoid purchasing a receiver and would like to do all the audio decoding on my computer and then output the sound via 3.5mm analog to normal computer speakers. Right now I just have a left and a right channel set of computer speakers, after I purchase the sound card I need to get Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, and Dolby Digital Plus audio quality from my computer I will start saving to get a decent 5.1 system.

Thanks,
Woz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250

The audio needs to be decoded in software first. You can't bitstream HD audio to PC speakers. 

What media player are you using on the PC?

post #3 of 13 Old 04-08-2013, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
For blu-ray movies I use Cyberlink PowerDVD 10, the software that came with my bluray drive, and for mkv/other video files I use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema x64 version 1.6.5.6366 with the CCCP codec pack. If a set of stereo Logitech speakers is unable to reproduce HD audio, what would I need to purchase to hear it?
post #4 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250

What motherboard do you have? Your integrated audio may already support HD audio for bluray movies.

The problem is only a few sound cards can do hd audio without the media player (ex..cyberlink) downsampling the audio to 48khz/16 bit. This only affects bluray discs.

If you're going to use Logitech speakers for your audio setup, I would stick with the lossy tracks (AC3/DTS) on the bluray discs.

post #5 of 13 Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 135
If you're not using a high quality surround system and preamp/processor or receiver you won't get any benefit from decoding the HD audio. PC speakers just don't have the same sound quality as a dedicated home theater setup. For your purposes, stereo is all you need until you upgrade your speakers at a bare minimum.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked: 10
I just got a new AMD motherboard with an FM2 integrated Richland CPU for my HTPC with a Blu-Ray drive. I am thinking about a new AV receiver. If I connect HDMI from the computer to the receiver, and use Corel WinDVD to play Blu-Rays, will I get Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA coming out of my speakers?
post #7 of 13 Old 07-13-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Shark007 for the win !

http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-Setup-and-usage

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 13 Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceInSeattle View Post

I just got a new AMD motherboard with an FM2 integrated Richland CPU for my HTPC with a Blu-Ray drive. I am thinking about a new AV receiver. If I connect HDMI from the computer to the receiver, and use Corel WinDVD to play Blu-Rays, will I get Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA coming out of my speakers?

Yes.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzie87 View Post

For blu-ray movies I use Cyberlink PowerDVD 10, the software that came with my bluray drive,

The OEM version of the PowerDVD bundled with your drive doesn't have HD audio playback capability. You need purchase the full version which costs as much as a BluRay player.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-20-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

What motherboard do you have? Your integrated audio may already support HD audio for bluray movies.
The problem is only a few sound cards can do hd audio without the media player (ex..cyberlink) downsampling the audio to 48khz/16 bit. This only affects bluray discs.

If you're going to use Logitech speakers for your audio setup, I would stick with the lossy tracks (AC3/DTS) on the bluray discs.

Digging up an old thread as this is something I would like to do without a receiver. I would like to be able to send audio from my computer directly to my amps and control everything via remote desktop on my tablet. I don't mind getting a nice sound card as I would also operate Dirac room correction on the computer for all content. Most content will be BluRay ripped to NAS with HD audio preserved. Do media players like VLC process the lossless sound track to the analog multichannel outputs on a compatible soundcard like an Auzentech X-Fi Home Theater HD and/or mobo analog outs? My mobo is an Asus Sabertooth Z87 if that helps. Thanks!

Anthem MRX-500 - Vincent SAV-P200 - RAW Acoustics Lambda Plus arrays, Apex C II center and HT4 towers - Rythmik FV15HP - Vizio XVT553SV - Xbox One - Xbox 360 - WD Live TV - QNAP TS212 NAS w/WD Red drives - APC H15BLK
post #11 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 12:51 AM

Liked: 10

I am trying to figure out the same thing.  Can I run the DVI out of my nVidia card for video and losslessly output analog audio directly to my amps and sub?  Will the ASUS Xonar cards allow this?  Also, Is there any sort of room eq software that is similar to those on some of the receivers now (that take audio snapshots of the room and adjust accordingly?  Thanks!

post #12 of 13 Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This thread might be a good read for your needs
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476117/how-to-replace-your-home-theater-pre-pro-with-a-htpc
Mfusick likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-24-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Crazy cool project ^

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page