Hauppauge 1800 compression artifacts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently put together a HTPC build to replace a Sony DHG-HDD500. I have OTA and cable, and my location necessitates keeping my backwaters (analog and a few QAM stations) cable company subscription to get many of the Denver area stations.

On the Sony box, the QAM channel quality was excellent. However, I'm seeing really bad compression artifacts on the 1800, particularly halo artifacts on scenes with solid color gradients (i.e. sky, shadows, etc). It's very distracting. TV viewing is currently through WMC.

Does the 2250 do a better job in this regard? This weekend, I plan to do some testing with an AverMedia Duet (currently handling my OTA needs). I think I could probably shoe-horn another one of those in my case, if need be, but I'd really like to keep room available for a discrete video card, should I upgrade in the future.

Thanks for any insight.

Specs:
Silverstone GD04
ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
i3-3225
8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 RAM
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (OS - Win7 Home Premium)
Seagate ST3000DM001 (for recorded TV storage)
AverMedia Duet (OTA)
Hauppauge 1800 (Cable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-09-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I started thinking about other variables that could be a problem (not necessarily the fault of the 1800).

My display is a Panasonic TH-42PH9UK. It's connected to my AVR via HDMI, so I'm not getting1:1 pixel mapping (used the overscan correction tool to size the output). That could be the source of the problem, right?

I also have a DVI blade on the Panny that I could run straight from the PC, but didn't do that originally, as I'd then need to deal with a separate (optical) cable run for audio. Plus, there would also be one more cable for my wife to complain about seeing. Fun, fun!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page