Intel ValleyView: 22nm Atom SoC with Ivy Bridge graphics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I am looking forward to this, especially if there's a thin mini-ITX version with the on-board DC-DC PSU.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6203/details-on-intels-valleyview-soc-emerge-22nm-atom-with-ivy-bridge-graphics

I like: dual-channel memory, quad-core, Ivy Bridge GPU and somewhere in the article it said HW decode for 1080p60.

I hope it's not a flop like CedarView.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Keep in mind it's not going to have the full power of the Ivy Bridge GPU; it'll share a design and use the same Execution Units, but there will be fewer (I'd guess probably 4, whereas Ivy Bridge has 6 or 16.)

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Doesn't the NUC provide more power than an Atom in a smaller package as mini-ITX?
Just saying, Atom is moving into phone/tablet space, the "real" Core CPUs can do just fine in miniITX or smaller (NUC), especially with Haswell which has even more low-power options for embedded designs, including the special BGA "Haswell-H" version, designed for "All-in-one" miniITX or NUC systems specifically.

I don't see Atom in those use-cases anymore.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

Doesn't the NUC provide more power than an Atom in a smaller package as mini-ITX?
Just saying, Atom is moving into phone/tablet space, the "real" Core CPUs can do just fine in miniITX or smaller (NUC), especially with Haswell which has even more low-power options for embedded designs, including the special BGA "Haswell-H" version, designed for "All-in-one" miniITX or NUC systems specifically.

I don't see Atom in those use-cases anymore.

The Haswell-H version is 65W TDP; these are going to be in the order of 12W for the most powerful ones. That's getting down into fanless territory with some of the variants (at least most of the time, maybe it'd need to spin up at full load). Haswell's 10W chips are most likely going to be tablet only, and very expensive.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 121
If the current pricing is any indication however, the ValleyView will be 3x less expensive than Haswell ULV. It only needs to be good enough to play 1080p rips and Netflix in that price range. If it could be fanless like current Atom designs that would be the icing on the cake.

In between, performance-wise, I really hope to see the Ivy Bridge ULV Celeron 1007U and 1037U come to mini-ITX motherboards soon -- and with a better fan design than current Celeron ULV motherboards. Right now Atom and Celeron ULV pricing is very close making the Celeron ULV choice a no-brainer (not to mention the crappy Atom GMA3650 and GPU driver debacle).

Edit: what jhoff80 said smile.gif

post #6 of 8 Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

So don't use BGA, but get a normal LGA mini-ITX board with a 35w Haswell. Thats easy in the fanless regions (not to mention that you can still have fans and inaubile at the same time, don't need a full-power blower at those levels)
In any case, i would rather have a powerful Haswell then some weak Atom. I know many people like the idea of getting just enough to make it work, but i rather have some reserves.

What if H.265 suddenly catches on, and your CPU has no hardware decoder for it (which it won't)? And you have no CPU power to decode it? New hardware it is! wink.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

So don't use BGA, but get a normal LGA mini-ITX board with a 35w Haswell. Thats easy in the fanless regions (not to mention that you can still have fans and inaubile at the same time, don't need a full-power blower at those levels)
In any case, i would rather have a powerful Haswell then some weak Atom. I know many people like the idea of getting just enough to make it work, but i rather have some reserves.

What if H.265 suddenly catches on, and your CPU has no hardware decoder for it (which it won't)? And you have no CPU power to decode it? New hardware it is! wink.gif

First of all, I think you're basing too much on past Atom performance here. This is an entirely newly designed architecture which should be a drastic improvement over current Atoms (which to be honest, makes me think it's a branding failure to name it Atom, as it's going to be associated with the horrible netbook performance of days past). And secondly, H.265 suddenly catching on doesn't seem all that likely to happen in the next few years anyway, but who knows.

But most importantly, you're still ignoring the fact that the cost will be dramatically cheaper.

Now, personally, I'll always want the more powerful chips, but this could fit a very large niche if it turns out as well as expected to.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Intels target for Atom is primarily mobile and embedded markets in the future, since the small-form-factor PC-device area is being overrun with Haswell, and mobile is where the future is. It doesn't make sense to have great overlap in your own products. There will also be Haswells later on with even lower TDPs, down to something like 10w if earlier reports are accurate (Surface Pro with Haswell was rumored), and any lower there is Atom.
Sure there may be the occasional miniITX design with an Atom, but i don't think it'll be the dominant low-power CPU in that market, simply because its not in Intels interest to push it into PC regions.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page