Couple of minor but very irritating issues on my HTPC + XBMC...have been trying to figure them out but in vain - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I built my pc 2 yrs ago and been running xbmc 12 on it and have been seeing couple of these minor quirks which are not a major issue but still annoying. Appreciate it if anyone provides a solution.

Setup : HTPC --> Onkyo SR608 -->(HDMI replicator + 50ft hdmi)--> Panny TV.

Issue #1: Audio goes away every now and then to xbmc. I will switch to htpc input from say cable and I will not see any sound. The only way to fix it is , exit xbmc and play a video file on pc which play properly with sound. Then start xbmc and go to settings to select WASAPI HDMI option in Audio Settings. This WASAPI HDMI will not be there if I dont exit and dont play the video file manually.

Issue#2: Power options I have my PC to never sleep and turn off display after 30 minutes right now If I let the computer go to sleep, how can I wake it up? I use Harmony One for interface. No Keyboard (USB). The only way i was able to do it if I let it sleep is through my phone, vnc in, login then start xbmc. My wife doesnt have a smartphone so when I am not there, there is not option for her to wake it up. Is there a solution to this that I can let my pc sleep and only wake up when I need. I have tried WOL (not debugged extensively) but I doubt if my gigabyte mobo supports it.

PC Build: i3-2100 (no video card) + Windows 7 64 bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
No replies after a week?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 327
It seems like you're saying that you lose WASAPI mode when your HTPC wakes from sleep?

How are you putting it to sleep? Are you using the XBMC shutdown menu or function timer set to "Sleep"

For me, one instance of XBMC is running on a server/htpc, so it never sleeps. The other is running on OpenELEC. If you've never seen it before and your only HTPC requirements are "running XBMC" maybe give it a look. I was having issues with sleep/wake when booting it from a flash drive (during 3.0 betas) which went away when I installed it to an SSD. (May have been fixed on final release for booting from flash drive)
Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If you want to let your PC sleep and be able to wake it up, get a Windows Media Center USB IR receiver and remote. Works great with XBMC.

Issue #1 sounds like it's EDID related. Maybe switch to nVidia or get a Gefen HDMI Detective.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 AM

Liked: 10
Here are my thoughts on your problem hope it helps.

Issue #1: No Sound switching to XBMC.

This might be a problem with your TV or AV receiver. I have a Sony Bravia where the sound kept going in and out. I thought it was my HTPC at first but then i noticed that it happened on occasion on cable too. Turns out it was my TV causing the problem. I had to do a firmware update on the TV to fix the problem but it still happens every now and then. Test this out by going direct to the tv with your HDMI instead of your receiver for a few days and see if you get the same problem.

Issue#2: PC cant wake from sleep.

I have set mine to never sleep so it runs 24/7. I do use a screensaver however. On the keyboard front I use the Sony PS3 Bluetooth keyboard. I got a 5 dollar Bluetooth dongle for the pc and never looked back.