Anyone using 4tb internal drives with success ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey

I am rebuilding my htpc. I sold all my 2tb green drives in my norco. Going to use a silverstone lc20 case and 4tb drives. Basically uses less drives but not sacrifice storage space. I saw the seagate is on sale for $189 just wanted to see if anyone was using 4tb drives for movie storage and what their failure rate is

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I have seen plenty of people on many different forums starting to use 4TB drives without any problems. Thus far. 4TB drives are still very new. It's too early to be judging how reliable they are.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Liked: 147
I am using two Seagate 5900 RPM ones without any problem. Well, I DID have a problem with my ASUS P5Q-E motherboard properly detecting and running them - but that is a Core2Duo board from many years ago, so I cannot fault the drives for that. I am running them both off of one 2 port PCIe 1X add in SATA card and have no issues at all.

EDIT: I am using an SSD for Windows and a 1.5TB drive for WMC Recorded TV. The 1.5TB drive is a 5400 RPM drive and it has no problems recording four shows simultaneously while playing back a fifth show.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 AM
dpn

Liked: 11
I have a 4 TB Seagate and a 4 TB WD and both are doing great for their intended purpose. I store my ripped media on one drive, and using SyncToy and Task Scheduler, nightly backup only INCREMENTAL changes from THAT drive to the other drive. Therefore I identical data on TWO drives.

I use a SSD for Windows and ALL programs.

So far no problem. The only problem I did have was a failure after a month of a 2 TB WD Green drive, which they replaced without incident. So far it seems to be working okay.

Many people purchase external drives and remove the inner drive.

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithkeith View Post

Hey

I am rebuilding my htpc. I sold all my 2tb green drives in my norco. Going to use a silverstone lc20 case and 4tb drives. Basically uses less drives but not sacrifice storage space. I saw the seagate is on sale for $189 just wanted to see if anyone was using 4tb drives for movie storage and what their failure rate is

Thanks everyone
post #5 of 8 Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 AM

My system is set up with a mini itx HTPC (A10-5700K APU, 120gb Corsair Neutron, 4gb Gskill DDR3 1600 Eco (1.35v) ) and I stream all my media from my data dump in my office. The data dump has a Samsung 840 for Ubuntu and apps, 2x 4TB drives, 2x 2TB, and 1x 1.5TB.

The 4TB drives are both Hitachi HDS5C404 models and have had no issues at all. According to SMART one has been running for 1 year and 27 days, and the other for 10 months and 2 days. Neither have had any errors and manage to run around 24-30c in an Antec 300 with twin 1200 RPM 120mm fans blowing over all the drives. The drives had initially been running 24/7 for several months but I eventually configured the drives to put themselves to sleep individually after 10 minutes of idle. By sleeping idle drives I manage to save about 40-50w under typical usage. Paired with an Intel 2100T it has proven to be a very efficient and powerful system, I am quite happy with it.

I had some minor issues setting up and formatting the 4TB drives under the earlier versions of Ubuntu, but the latest kernels make things a breeze. There is one specific software whos name escapes me right now that made it a lot easier when adding that 2nd drive. But performance, reliability, efficiency, cooling, noise, etc have all been exceptional.

And $189 is quite a tempting price, I paid somewhere around $250-220 for each of my 4s - but as noted above that was a while ago.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-07-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well I bought two seagate 4tb drives. One works rock solid. The other has issues. All my mkv rips crash and freeze up on it. The other seagate plays perfect. Do I contact newegg for a replacement drive or do I contact seagate directly ? I know when I had issues with wd drives I would send them back to wd and they would send out a replacement.

Thanks everyone
post #7 of 8 Old 06-07-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just call Newegg and ask them. It is not rare to get a bad drive. In years past I sent one back to Newegg for a replacement of a bad HDD.

I just bought five 5 4TB HDDs and put 4 in a direct attached storage unit. The were correctly recognized and I am in the process of doing a backup. The fifth I will use to replace a 600 MB HDD in the computer. So far indications are good for the 4 TB Seagate ST4000DM000. But not enough time has passed to declare them a success.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I always use HDDScan to run SMART extended test and then run a Erase surface test and then a Verify surface test on all new drives. This way I know if I need to RMA the drive before adding data to it.

Contact Newegg for the replacement. It will be quicker to get the replacement from them.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page