HTPC HDMI Audio Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have searched all over, tried a number of "fixes", but no luck so far.

I have an HTPC with ASRock H77 mATX board using HDMI out to my Marantz NR1403 receiver, and HDMI from there to Samsung TV. Drivers everywhere are up to date. Sound is configured under "playback" to use the Intel Display Audio which is labeled "Marantz AVR." I disabled the other two (Speakers and Realtek Digital Output). The output is configured for 5.1. Test tones play through all speakers. I use Windows media center, and all test tones play fine in that audio setup as well. So far, so good.

When I go to the receiver, I see the PCM and DIG lights on and status

Sig.:PCM
fs: 48kHz
format 3/2/.1

However, I only get stereo output on the speakers--no surrounds and no sub regardless of what I play on media center(even those labeled DD). I must be missing a setting somewhere but I don't know where. I have been through all the AVR settings, tried the various HDMI settings there, been in the HTPC BIOS to enable all HDMI audio, etc.

Does an HTPC only output PCM? Can it bitstream DD from network TV so I get the corresponding DD lights on the AVR?

Not sure where to go next.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would also make sure that your speakers did not come unplug this can also result in your system not playing correctly.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All speakers/sub respond when TEST is pressed. I also went through Audyssey setup with no issues. Cables are good
post #4 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
What audio codecs or packs are you using to playback the files (LAV, Shark, CCCP)?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

None--I use WIndows Media Center only. If I play a recording from the HTPC via an extender, like the Xbox, I get DD 5.1. Why can't a direct connection from HTPC to the AVR do the same?
post #6 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Check the audio properties for your playback device. On the last tab is a check box for exclusive control. If that is not checked, you cannot bitstream. Also, on one of the tabs it will say every codec it can output, if the bitstreaming ones are not listed there, then it will not send them out. Most likely it is an edid issue at that point (though it could also be a driver issue).

To answer a question directly, yes, WMC can bitstream DD from live TV. I do it all the time. Well, I used to, but the audio drop out that happens when you pause a bitstream codec irritated my wife, so I removed the exclusive control and send the PCM only across - this allows me to get audio instantly after pausing a movie or TV.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
What type of files are these that you are attempting to play?

HTPC's can output any and all audio formats, providing they are set-up properly. I don't use WMC directly, or an XBox (I use Media Browser with mpc-hc to playback my media), therefore have no real experience with it, but I would think to get your HTPC to work properly you will need to install additional codecs to enable playback, though I'm sure someone with more experience with your actual set-up will chime in with a solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Check the audio properties for your playback device. On the last tab is a check box for exclusive control. If that is not checked, you cannot bitstream. Also, on one of the tabs it will say every codec it can output, if the bitstreaming ones are not listed there, then it will not send them out. Most likely it is an edid issue at that point (though it could also be a driver issue).

To answer a question directly, yes, WMC can bitstream DD from live TV. I do it all the time. Well, I used to, but the audio drop out that happens when you pause a bitstream codec irritated my wife, so I removed the exclusive control and send the PCM only across - this allows me to get audio instantly after pausing a movie or TV.

did you have to install additional codecs to achieve this though?
post #8 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Those boxes were checked, and the codecs were all listed. I will check into MonInfo and go through that.

Thanks
post #9 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No luck with the EDID change
post #10 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If Windows is outputting 5.1 PCM but your source content contains less than 5.1, Windows will still be outputting 5.1 but other channels will simply be empty since there is no content for them. If the test tones built into Windows work correctly, then your problem lies in getting the proper signal from your media player. If your receiver is always indicating PCM even if you're using a compressed format then your PC is doing the decoding and it may be downmixing to stereo.

I'd test with another media player to see if the problem is isolated to WMC. I'd test both compressed (Dolby/DTS) and multichannel PCM content. I strongly suspect the issue is with WMC.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash676 View Post

If Windows is outputting 5.1 PCM but your source content contains less than 5.1, Windows will still be outputting 5.1 but other channels will simply be empty since there is no content for them. If the test tones built into Windows work correctly, then your problem lies in getting the proper signal from your media player. If your receiver is always indicating PCM even if you're using a compressed format then your PC is doing the decoding and it may be downmixing to stereo.

I'd test with another media player to see if the problem is isolated to WMC. I'd test both compressed (Dolby/DTS) and multichannel PCM content. I strongly suspect the issue is with WMC.

SUCCESS! There is an area under Settings in WMC for TV, then AUDIO, where you can set AUTO Volume to make it so that volumes of programming and commercials are level and commercials don't blast you out. In the fine print, it says that enabling auto volume disables Dolby.I unchecked the box and all was well.

Thanks everyone.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-02-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Read this forum with great interest - I have a Win-7 HTPC with a ASRock H67M-ITX mobo. In XBMC I am able to watch/hear my audio as Dolby Digital. When I run a sound test in control panel, the test is successful. However if I play a video in VLC or go to YouTube in Chrome, there is no audio output. The display on my Pioneer VSX-1021k AVR says PCM and there is no sound. I don't see the levels bouncing within the Windows sound taskbar either, sop something is clearly awry.

Disabled Logitek and Speakers. Audio driver is Intel and is dated several years back. I have both Exclusive Mode boxes checked off and in Supported Formats I see DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital and Sample Rates from 32-192 kHz. I've never installed any codecs, does that need to be done?

Thanks!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page