What keyboard+Mouse do you use? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: what KB+Mouse?
Logitech 50 57.47%
Microsoft 11 12.64%
HP 2 2.30%
Razer 3 3.45%
SteelSeries 0 0%
Roccat 0 0%
Ducky 0 0%
Dell 0 0%
Other (Please specify) 21 24.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 127 Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Andy o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rapoo E9180P.

Got tired of the damn K400 only supporting ONE multitouch gesture, and Logitech's half-baked software implementation (even being generous). No middle click at all, no right-click gesture. Tap-and-drag doesn't work well (it starts dragging only after the arrow has moved a few pixels, which makes you select text incompletely, or resizing windows very annoying, for instance).

The Rapoo I got at Walmart online for about $35. Build quality is pretty much the same as Logitech. Pretty much all imaginable gestures work (even in W7) without installing the software, which is only necessary to change default gestures (which the K400 never gave the option to). 3-finger middle click, 2-finger right click, 3 finger swipe down to minimize/restore, pinch to zoom, all work, out of the box, no software installed. Keys are actually full-size, while the K400's are smaller, and the trackpad is bigger. It's only about a cm longer, but significantly less tall. The right shift key is the correct size, and it works in the 5GHz range instead of the cramped 2.4GHz one. The only pet peeve I have is that there's no triple click, but that's minor compared to the plusses.

I can't believe it took all these years for a company to put a simple product like this that just worked. Logitech could have very easily done it with the K400, but they never even came close. Now they sell a new, slick, very expensive model though.
gonzo90017 likes this.
Andy o is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 127 Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,928
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
I don't use many gestures (except when I'm driving), but this is a great find. The K400's misplaced shift is a major annoyance, and that inaccurate tap-and-drag gets me every time. Thanks for posting.
mdavej is offline  
post #93 of 127 Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 AM
Member
 
SlantNGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Rapoo E9180P.

Got tired of the damn K400 only supporting ONE multitouch gesture, and Logitech's half-baked software implementation (even being generous). No middle click at all, no right-click gesture. Tap-and-drag doesn't work well (it starts dragging only after the arrow has moved a few pixels, which makes you select text incompletely, or resizing windows very annoying, for instance).

The Rapoo I got at Walmart online for about $35. Build quality is pretty much the same as Logitech. Pretty much all imaginable gestures work (even in W7) without installing the software, which is only necessary to change default gestures (which the K400 never gave the option to). 3-finger middle click, 2-finger right click, 3 finger swipe down to minimize/restore, pinch to zoom, all work, out of the box, no software installed. Keys are actually full-size, while the K400's are smaller, and the trackpad is bigger. It's only about a cm longer, but significantly less tall. The right shift key is the correct size, and it works in the 5GHz range instead of the cramped 2.4GHz one. The only pet peeve I have is that there's no triple click, but that's minor compared to the plusses.

I can't believe it took all these years for a company to put a simple product like this that just worked. Logitech could have very easily done it with the K400, but they never even came close. Now they sell a new, slick, very expensive model though.

The new revision K400r adds more multi-touch support and is better designed as a media keyboard, with the F-keys defaulting to Windows 8 and media functions (customizable in their software). It's still being sold as the K400, but Amazon and many other retailers are shipping the K400r now it seems. Two-finger scrolling both up/down and side-to-side are supported, pinch zoom and rotate are supported, and Windows 8 edge swipes are supported.

With that being said, I still have two major annoyances with the touchpad:
1) Two-finger right-click only works about half of the time. Maybe I should just give up on that and start using the right-click button.
2) The tap-and-drag issue as you mentioned. I try to get around this by first dragging perpendicular to the direction I want to go, i.e. if I want to move something to the right and the object I'm moving isn't very wide, I'll first start moving it up or down and then to the right. I wonder if this issue is what prompted the extra left-click button in the upper left of the keyboard. Maybe it would be easier to just hold that down rather than getting tap-and-drag to work properly.
SlantNGo is offline  
post #94 of 127 Old 09-18-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Andy o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have read from a couple of people reviewing their products that Rapoo used to make Logitech products, but I didn't bother to look it up. What I can say is that the build quality is similar, and their products resemble a lot in some of their features, for instance the 3920p mouse is strikingly similar to my (pretty awesome) Anywhere Mouse MX including its ability to track over glass, and the very unusual feature that lets you use only one of the two batteries. And it's almost half the price, and also uses the 5GHz band.
Andy o is offline  
post #95 of 127 Old 10-04-2013, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
72.9.159.100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wait... what? Rapoo used to make some products for Logitech? Got any other examples?
72.9.159.100 is offline  
post #96 of 127 Old 10-15-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Andy o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's just what I've read, but not from official sources, but from some internet reviews, and as I said I didn't try to verify it. What I can tell you is that some products are similar, and the build quality is on par.
Andy o is offline  
post #97 of 127 Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
emcdade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 310
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 79
iPhone app for mouse and keyboard support takes care of all my HTPC needs.

Remote + app


For gaming, I use a Razer Anansi and Razer Naga Epic.
emcdade is offline  
post #98 of 127 Old 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Member
 
PrinzII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I still have my Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard. I will be scouring Ebay to buy another when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick
Cheap is cheap and nice is expensive. It's how life works.
PrinzII is offline  
post #99 of 127 Old 10-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Member
 
SocketAzzWIPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Rapoo E9180P.

Got tired of the damn K400 only supporting ONE multitouch gesture, and Logitech's half-baked software implementation (even being generous). No middle click at all, no right-click gesture. Tap-and-drag doesn't work well (it starts dragging only after the arrow has moved a few pixels, which makes you select text incompletely, or resizing windows very annoying, for instance).

The Rapoo I got at Walmart online for about $35. Build quality is pretty much the same as Logitech. Pretty much all imaginable gestures work (even in W7) without installing the software, which is only necessary to change default gestures (which the K400 never gave the option to). 3-finger middle click, 2-finger right click, 3 finger swipe down to minimize/restore, pinch to zoom, all work, out of the box, no software installed. Keys are actually full-size, while the K400's are smaller, and the trackpad is bigger. It's only about a cm longer, but significantly less tall. The right shift key is the correct size, and it works in the 5GHz range instead of the cramped 2.4GHz one. The only pet peeve I have is that there's no triple click, but that's minor compared to the plusses.

I can't believe it took all these years for a company to put a simple product like this that just worked. Logitech could have very easily done it with the K400, but they never even came close. Now they sell a new, slick, very expensive model though.

35 bucks was a steal...it's sold out now.

IS the Rapoo flimsy? I found the k400 to be flimsy.
SocketAzzWIPE is offline  
post #100 of 127 Old 10-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
aliaskary77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinzII View Post

I still have my Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard. I will be scouring Ebay to buy another when the time comes.

yep, love mine for the last 5+ years. one of the mouse buttons sticks a little and charger power needs some wiggling now and then, but still one of the sleekest looking combos out there.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
aliaskary77 is offline  
post #101 of 127 Old 10-17-2013, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
72.9.159.100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
it seems as Logitech had some really cool stuff and then they quit those and are focusing too much on idevice accessories frown.gif
72.9.159.100 is offline  
post #102 of 127 Old 12-03-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 23,500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 915
I grabbed a Razer on black friday .. $35 biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #103 of 127 Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
MKANET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 5,724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16

My latest wireless custom keyboard+mouse combo.  It uses new backlit Ducky Shine III Tenkeyless MX Cherry Brown switch keyboard (converted to wireless) with my Logitech mouse.  Now that it's backlit, Im also comfortable typing in low-lit conditions.  The keyboard and mouse are velcro'ed on.  So I can pick this up and take it anywhere.

 

Since I sit 5.5 feet away from my 55" LCD screen (sitting on my couch, my HTPC doubles as a full time desktop PC as well.  With this new keyboard, I can type easily over a 100wpm; certainly a lot faster any wired desktop keyboard + mouse.

 

 


Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
MKANET is offline  
post #104 of 127 Old 12-14-2013, 02:40 AM
Newbie
 
Takinato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Logitech k400 here, I do wish it was backlit though

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Takinato is offline  
post #105 of 127 Old 12-14-2013, 05:50 AM
Member
 
clwalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

iPhone app for mouse and keyboard support takes care of all my HTPC needs.

Remote + app


For gaming, I use a Razer Anansi and Razer Naga Epic.

Curious what iPhone app you are using that allows you to send keyboard commands to the HTPC?

I am currently using a Logitech K400. Works OK for now.
clwalter is offline  
post #106 of 127 Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,928
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
^^^
A couple of good ones are Hippo Remote and Mobile Mouse. I prefer Hippo.
clwalter likes this.
mdavej is offline  
post #107 of 127 Old 12-17-2013, 04:41 AM
Member
 
clwalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

^^^
A couple of good ones are Hippo Remote and Mobile Mouse. I prefer Hippo.

Hippo looks solid. Just downloaded the lite version. Thanks!
clwalter is offline  
post #108 of 127 Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
wiley165's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Sorry to reply this far into the original post, but I've got the following for my HTPC:

Keyboard: Logitech K400 - I love the size and form, but hate the line of sight needed for IR (Edit: somewhat poor RF). Also like the Micro-USB receiver, and the built in TrackPad.
Mouse: Logitech M510 - for the times when you absolutely need a mouse.
Remote: Rosewill RHRC-11001 - this is a surprisingly good remote for the price. Very basic in nature, great for navigation in WMC, and includes an IR dongle.

I also have the following, but I'm not completely comfortable abandoning the above items to use them exclusively.

Lenovo N5902 - great concept, feels good in hand, backlit keys, but odd button arrangement, and "Thumb mouse" button is somewhat limited. I would think a trackball in its place would be better.

Logitech 650 - just got this, and still need to program better for optimal usage. It's extremely responsive. Need more time to play with it.

I first started off with a Microsoft 5000 Keyboard/Mouse combo that had great range (I also use for my Desktop), the only thing I didn't like was the full size keyboard.

Typically I favor the Microsoft branded Keyboards and Mice, but I'm not fond of the recent designs.

One nice thing about the Logitech Keyboards and Mice is that you can set up both to share the same USB receiver.

wiley165 is offline  
post #109 of 127 Old 12-17-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,928
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post

Logitech K400 - I love the size and form, but hate the line of sight needed for IR
What do you mean by this? The K400 isn't IR.

BTW, these are $20 at Best Buy at the moment. They also have a white version now.
mdavej is offline  
post #110 of 127 Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Senior Member
 
wiley165's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

What do you mean by this? The K400 isn't IR.

BTW, these are $20 at Best Buy at the moment. They also have a white version now.

My bad, you are correct that the K400 is RF. This surprises me, as generally the trackpad is sufficient, but typing is troublesome.
I've edited my above post. Maybe I just have to much clutter in that area that alters the signal.

It's still a great buy. I think I was able to get mine for $15 at Staples a while back. Even at $25 it's a great deal.
I've also read that the K400 was updated, but still labled as K400. Not 100% sure which version I have, but the newer version may perform better.

wiley165 is offline  
post #111 of 127 Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,928
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post

My bad, you are correct that the K400 is RF. This surprises me, as generally the trackpad is sufficient, but typing is troublesome.
I've edited my above post. Maybe I just have to much clutter in that area that alters the signal.

It's still a great buy. I think I was able to get mine for $15 at Staples a while back. Even at $25 it's a great deal.
I've also read that the K400 was updated, but still labled as K400. Not 100% sure which version I have, but the newer version may perform better.
Yeah, I agree the range isn't great. I have an updated one (K400r) with a bunch of special keys and programmable keys. It does a little more, but the range isn't any better. Right shift is also in an odd place, causing me some grief at times. But it's still my favorite keyboard for HTPC, warts and all. Luckily, I can do most things with just a remote. I pull out the K400 only for web surfing and controlling Daum Pot Player, if I don't have my phone handy and need to do a lot of typing.
mdavej is offline  
post #112 of 127 Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 281
robnix is online now  
post #113 of 127 Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 PM
Member
 
AnnaJune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Keyboard: Logitech G710 Plus (Cherry MX Brown)

Mouse: Logitech G9x

Thinking about picking up a Favi mini keyboard for couch duty typing in searches on my Sony S5100.
AnnaJune is offline  
post #114 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Member
 
abelincoln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is this (microsoft.com) on anybody's radar?

Microsoft All-in-One Media Keyboard
Part #: N9Z-00001
MSRP: $39.95

About the same MSRP as the Logitech K400. I would love to see some reviews. Who knows, maybe this will be a good replacement for my wireless kb + mouse combo.
abelincoln is offline  
post #115 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
 
wiley165's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by abelincoln View Post

Is this (microsoft.com) on anybody's radar?

Microsoft All-in-One Media Keyboard
Part #: N9Z-00001
MSRP: $39.95

About the same MSRP as the Logitech K400. I would love to see some reviews. Who knows, maybe this will be a good replacement for my wireless kb + mouse combo.

On my radar. I'm waiting for some hands on reviews. If the I/O range is better than the K400, I'll make a serious consideration on it.

wiley165 is offline  
post #116 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,928
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley165 View Post

On my radar. I'm waiting for some hands on reviews. If the I/O range is better than the K400, I'll make a serious consideration on it.
Mine too. I like it better already since the right shift is in the correct place and the correct size. But it's hard the $25 street price of the k400 and the 1-year battery life.

For essentially a very pricely backlit version, check out the Logitech K830. But the backlight comes at a heavy price - 10 day battery life.

Once I put the k400's dongle on a USB extension, my range is great. It'll work in another state now, or at least so far that I can no longer read my 60" screen.

It's good to finally see some more mainstream options at least.
mdavej is offline  
post #117 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 04:03 PM
Member
 
abelincoln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Too bad about the battery life on the K830.

I'm waiting to see the reviews to see how the N9Z stacks up against the K400.
I like the N9Z's larger trackpad. Maybe it will be worth the extra $15.
abelincoln is offline  
post #118 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 04:40 PM
Member
 
driver7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I'm still in market for high end mouse. Finding good reviews of mice is like pulling teeth.

Anyone have suggestions for quality mice and keyboard?

No crap please.

 

One of the most underrated offerings out there, likely because it's not widely known is the Gigabyte Aivia Osmium.  Great board if you don't need a bunch of (g)immick keys which reduce APM anyway.  It does have a couple which can be good for house keeping macros, that's about all I would use them for.  The keys are spectacular with alt/shift/ctrl wide key combos which are difficult to press the key straight down on unless you have massive hands and long fingers or  so my friends tell me (my hands are huge).  Back when I use to pro game I used Razer keyboards for a year, each lasted about 6 months before keys stopped working.  The keys were squishy and required straight down operation of the keys for them to register.

driver7 is offline  
post #119 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,928
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Cool, but would be a major tripping hazard in my system. ;-)
mdavej is offline  
post #120 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 23,500
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver7 View Post

One of the most underrated offerings out there, likely because it's not widely known is the Gigabyte Aivia Osmium.  Great board if you don't need a bunch of (g)immick keys which reduce APM anyway.  It does have a couple which can be good for house keeping macros, that's about all I would use them for.  The keys are spectacular with alt/shift/ctrl wide key combos which are difficult to press the key straight down on unless you have massive hands and long fingers or  so my friends tell me (my hands are huge).  Back when I use to pro game I used Razer keyboards for a year, each lasted about 6 months before keys stopped working.  The keys were squishy and required straight down operation of the keys for them to register.

I have a Razer keyboard now, it's easily 5 years old (Tarantula model I think) and it works great. I just would prefer something more sophisticated and better for typing fast. I don't like the "click" sound though.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off