Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
TT meka g1 (black cherry switches) and a mx518 which is around 5 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I have a Razer keyboard now, it's easily 5 years old (Tarantula model I think) and it works great. I just would prefer something more sophisticated and better for typing fast. I don't like the "click" sound though.

What's not sophisticated about it?

post #123 of 127 Old 04-17-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Logitech K800 keyboard + Logitech M570 trackball in my bedroom HTPC/workstation.

Logitech K400 on all other HTPC's.
post #124 of 127 Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As the new Logitech K830 hasn't been discussed much here yet, I thought I'd post a review (slightly tweaked from the review I posted on Amazon uk):

I've been looking for a wireless backlit keyboard with mouse functionality for a while. This is the best solution I've found so far even if it's not perfect (see below).

On the plus side, it works as advertised, is responsive, with automatic 2 level backlight, good range, and -it seems- good autonomy. No drivers are needed, although the Logitech software adds some useful configuration features. The support of Windows 8 gestures is also welcome with 2 finger scrolling, charms, etc.

The key selection is good, with useful features such as a sleep button combination, and it is possible to customise what happens for 10 pre-set key combinations (F2 to F8, shift Ins, shift Del). I wish there were keys for fast forward and rewind, but these can be fixed with some creativity.

Fit and finish is good, but not stellar, with some flex, a not-quite-flat touchpad, and a fairly weak power switch. The backlight, while good, doesn't fully light the white text on the keys unless one look straight above some keys ("enter" being the main culprit). The engraving in red is not backlit. Not a deal breaker, but it doesn't feel 'High end'

The main flaw in my view come from the absolutely flat surface of the keys, the lack of a built-in way to raise the keyboard when used on a desk (the rubber pads are too far from the edges of the keyboard to make it easy to lift the back of the keyboard without it slipping) , the limited space between the keys, and the not so precise key mechanisms. All this makes touch typing more difficult than with the Microsoft Arc, Apple and the old SK7100 keyboards I compared it to. It's definitely no Thinkpad/IBM keyboard even though one can get used to it.

All in all a very decent product, but it could have been better with just a few changes and I expected a bit more from Logitech at the full MSRP. This being said, the features combination is unique.
post #125 of 127 Old 05-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I still love my Steelseries Merc Stealth and my Razer Naga Molten.
Both for obvious reasons.
For my HTPC/Media Server any Bluetooth enabled keyboard/mouse combo should work.

Sent from my Note3 via Tapatalk
post #126 of 127 Old 05-26-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

I still love my Steelseries Merc Stealth and my Razer Naga Molten.
Both for obvious reasons.
For my HTPC/Media Server any Bluetooth enabled keyboard/mouse combo should work.

Do you really prefer bluetooth? How do you wake your PC from a bluetooth keyboard? How do you access the BIOS? I find the ones that come with their own RF dongle are far more functional and have much better battery life.

And isn't it awkward to use a wired keyboard and mouse when you're 10 feet away on the couch? What surface to you use the mouse on?

I think wireless is the number one requirement for an HTPC keyboard/mouse. And for a mouse, only touchpad, joystick, trackball or gyro make sense. I find it very difficult to use a traditional mouse without a fairly large, even surface.

As for lighted keyboards/mice, I don't really see the point of those either. I never look at my keyboard. Plus they eat batteries. I'll stick with my K400 and annual battery changes.
post #127 of 127 Old 05-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
My server never sleeps, so waking isn't an issue but I do have a infrared remote USB connection for my harmony.

As for the wired connections, it's only on my gaming rig so 10 feet away on a couch doesn't come into play.
I do rock out in 6020x1080 @120hz with a pair of msi 780ti gaming 3g's...but I digress.
For the games I play, there is no better keyboard / mouse combo IMO. My left has all the function and movement controls for the keyboard and the right has 19 action functions (plus more if you macro).
The lights were just a bonus.
Function over form. There isn't a feature on either piece that I don't make regular use of.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page