Screen ripping... time to upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm working with some older stuff here, and would prefer to spend no money to upgrade, but perhaps I should.

I've got a Gigabyte Radeon HD 4550 1GB DDR3 (the one with the screen/fanless heatsink) in my computer at work. It's running in an older dual-core Intel Desktop made by HP (sorry, I don't know the model of dual core). Netflix has now begun to video rip all on HD content since I upgraded to a 5 year-old Samsung 40" LCD 1080P flatscreen. I used to have an older 32" that ran at 720p just fine.

If I switch it to 720p, the new TV will run a little better, but still rips a lot on fast-moving content from Youtube or Netflix.

Have played around with the video card settings, and improved it to the point that Youtube video at 720p is smooth with no rips, but Netflix STILL rips -- especially on HD animated material like the movie Cars -- be it on 720p or 1080p. The Youtube content will run at 1080p with no rips, but it is dropping frames (probably due to an older graphics card).

I've tried playing through IE and Media Center, but both rip. Currently my Chrome browser is messed-up and won't play Netflix because of some unknown reason (keeps saying I need to upgrade to a newer version, but I have). I've uninstalled/reinstalled both Chrome and Silverlight, but can't seem to get past that, so I'm stuck with IE and/or Media Center to play Netflix.

Ignoring the Chrome issue, will upgrading improve the screen rips, or is it something else? I had read elsewhere that Netflix is CPU-dependent, not GPU... still true?

Thanks.

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Solved it. I had windows 7 set to basic XP style theme, which not only turns off aero (which I thought would be easier on my GPU), it also forces the GPU into a reduced mode, slowing it down. Going back to standard windows 7 theme fixed it!

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page