I use the same software as the one I use for my music and video collection : JRiver Media Center. Amazing search capabilities.
When I import photos on the NAS, I take time to carefully fill 3 tags for each picture:
- People. A list of everybody known to us that appears on the picture.
- Place. Where was it taken. A list of location keywords such as "home;Montreal"
- Keyword. A list of keywords related to the occasion such as Halloween, Christmas, Jeff's birthday, basement construction
This is a bit time consuming, but only once, and sooo valuable !
Afterwards I can see all pictures where (as an example):
- Annie is on the picture
- Ita (Annie's dog) is on the picture
- her dad is not on the picture
- picture taken in Montreal or Ottawa
- picture not taken during Christmas
There is no limit to the filtering expression, it is amazing !