New Bedroom HTPC mini-ITX Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I felt inspired to build a new HTPC for my bedroom. I had previously built an ITX unit last summer, but recently gave that away to my sister to get her into the world of HTPC (got my brother into it too!).

So I finally decided to build a new one for myself, and got a nice case from StardogChampion for a mini ITX build. Here's the parts I used for this build:

Intel Core i3-3225 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155
ASRock LGA 1155 Motherboards (B75M-ITX)
Crucial 4GB Kit (2GBx2) DDR3 1333
WD Scorpio Black 500 GB SATA 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive (I decided not to do an SSD this time around)
CIR Receiver (for ASRock MB's) from Inteset

The build will be done inside of this case, which is the Realan E-I7 mini-ITX case. This is a beautiful silver case too, as I wanted to draw away from the common black color cases. Plus this case has the IR window in the lower left.

This is the bracket that has the ODD bracket underneath. I removed the ODD bracket as I won't be installing such drive. The top piece I will attach the 2.5" HDD on one side.

The inside if this case has nice room, and easy to route the wires accordingly. I wanted to make this build as simple as possible.

This is the CIR chip I ordered from Inteset, the black round dot is the IR receiver.

CIR board installed on the provided bracket. The instructions says to not let the solder points touch the bracket or else could cause a short. So the washers were used to give it the spacing it needs. You could also place a piece of electrical tape too on the bracket if needed.

IR Receiver seen through the hole (to be set in place in the case)

I used some double-sided tape to hold it against the inner case wall where the IR window is, then applied some more tape to keep it in place. You could use screws for a more neat appearance but since no one will look inside the case much, I didnt worry about it.

This CIR header, circled in yellow is where the wire connector goes. It does not share the USB header as with some boards.

Back side of the case, with the HDD installed. I'm using the stock Intel cooler as there's plenty of room with it inside. Even if the ODD bracket was in place, you would still have some room. The stock cooler has been fairly quiet for me.

All the hardware installed, everything powered up as it should, as seen on the monitor. Now the software part begins (still in progress but got most of it done). I like this case and looks great in my bedroom. Some may have an issue with the blue LED light, but personally it doesn't bother me, plus it makes a great night light. The remote that came with the CIR kit works perfectly with WMC and best part is, its backlit so makes it easier to see in a dark room. I'm using the Ceton network tuner with only one tuner assigned for this HTPC (other three assigned to the main HTPC in living room).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Great build!

Btw there are led blackout covers that will mute the brightness if you need/want it. I use one on my panny plasma.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Btw there are led blackout covers that will mute the brightness if you need/want it.

Is it just like a little translucent tinted sticker? I have an Apevia Xmaster case and the power light might as well be a flashlight. I just stuck a little square
of black duct tape over it.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
post #5 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Nice build and nice pictures. I am glad you like your E-i7. It's a great case. Everyone likes the black but I think the silver is pretty special.

post #6 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Nice build and nice pictures. I am glad you like your E-i7. It's a great case. Everyone likes the black but I think the silver is pretty special.

I agree. Sometimes its nice to 'be different' from the mainstream. I still have some tweaks to do on it here and there, and figure out why the system wakes right back up after putting it to sleep. Once everything is set in stone how I like then I will make a backup system image of it if ever the case I have to do a fresh install. Other than that, beautiful case, well worth it.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent build and nice pictures AVTechMan, Can you help me out with the CIR Receiver (for ASRock MB's) from Inteset? I'm all set to pull the trigger for my HTPC build and I wanted to make sure the CIR Recevier from Inteset will work with AsRock H77M Motherboard?? Will I be able to Power ON/OFF my HTPC using a Remote?

Other:
Case:NMediaPc 7000B
MB:ASRock H77M
CPU:Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 HD Graphics 4000
PSU: CORSAIR CX430M 430W ATX12V (Modular)
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600
SSD - Samsung 840 120GB
HDD _ Use old ones
Windows 7 Home Premium
CIR Receiver (for ASRock MB's) from Inteset ????
post #8 of 9 Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35king View Post

Excellent build and nice pictures AVTechMan, Can you help me out with the CIR Receiver (for ASRock MB's) from Inteset? I'm all set to pull the trigger for my HTPC build and I wanted to make sure the CIR Recevier from Inteset will work with AsRock H77M Motherboard?? Will I be able to Power ON/OFF my HTPC using a Remote?

Other:
Case:NMediaPc 7000B
MB:ASRock H77M
CPU:Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 HD Graphics 4000
PSU: CORSAIR CX430M 430W ATX12V (Modular)
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600
SSD - Samsung 840 120GB
HDD _ Use old ones
Windows 7 Home Premium
CIR Receiver (for ASRock MB's) from Inteset ????

Hi 35king,

As long as the ASRock board you are getting has the 4-pin CIR header (which should be gray), then the Inteset kit will work. All you would have to do then is download the CIR driver from ASRock's website for that particular board.

For powering On/Off using the remote, I've been able to put it to sleep and wake it up with the remote. I've also tested where I completely shut down the HTPC to OFF state and I was able to turn it on (cold boot) by simply pressing the power button with the remote. The internal version of the CIR kit works with S5 (off), S4 (hibernate) and S3 (standby). My Harmony remote also works with the CIR as well. Just be sure to download the Nuvoton (Winbond) driver. Once installed make sure the CIR is activated in the BIOS (instructions with the kit will explain).

Hope this helps! smile.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help...
Reply Home Theater Computers