Acer revo 1600 replacement. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a replacement for my acer revo 1600. I really love it but it is getting old and I will need a new one soon. So I would like some suggestions on what to get. I know how and can build one but I want something small and cheap.

Requirements

1. Small - I want something as small or smaller than my revo.
2. Quiet - I only here my revo at boot when the fan spins up
3. Cheap - I got my revo on sale for 200 bucks and I have a 300 dollar budget right now.
4. Runs OS - I need to be able to run desktop apps easily like Skype and chrome and not bog down.

I have looked at a couple of bare-bones systems but then the cost goes up and few have the mini form factor like the revo. I have looked at the new revos but I am not sure if the AMD processors are up to the task.

Please let me know what you have done or would do in upgrading my HTPC.

Thanks, Ken smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm still using my Revo 1600 for my OpenElec machine on the main floor. It's been a great little machine. It does all I want it to, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm still using mine for XBMC and it still plays everything fine, what exactly are you running?

Price wise I don't think you will be able to find anything at the price you want that can do the same. I read the other day Gigabyte is coming out with something to compete with the NUC, but no price . http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2261252/gigabyte-introduces-brix-mini-pc-to-rival-raspberry-pi
post #4 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I just upgraded my 3610 to Windows 8 and it actually runs WMC pretty well.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

My revo is running windows 7 currently with 2 gigs of ram. It‘s still working fine and I haven’t had any problems yet. I just want some feedback from others who have a revo or similar HTPC and have upgraded or looking to. The link to the Gigabyte mini looks very interesting; I found it here for $ 145 and am very tempted to just buy it. But I want more feedback from other HTPC users. Has anyone used one yet can you tell me about the performance? One HTPC mini comes with an ARM processor running windows 8 I would be interested to see how an ARM processor would work for an HTPC.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-12-2013, 09:52 AM

When Windows 8 upgrades were offered for $39 with free Media Center, I upgraded the WIN7 on my Acer R1600 (w/factory 1 gig RAM) and am just now test driving with a 2 point touchscreen.

Everything actually works (!!), but is painfully slow. Did the same with my Acer R3610 (duo Atom processor w/2 GIG RAM ) and it's less painfully slow -- almost okay.

I'm on the fence about upgrading the R1600 with 4gigs of RAM + 256GB SSD (about $210~) -- though my fantasy is to buy a 500GB SSD and park some music on it.

For less than $400 I'm finding small form factor desktops on craigslist (in L.A.) e.g. with an i5 processor and 8 gigs of RAM, etc. Of course they'd consume more juice, but still looks like way more bang for $$. But is all that processing power and RAM really necessary? It would seem wasted to me -- or is it a waste to upgrade Ye Olde Acer?

What did you end up doing?
post #7 of 11 Old 12-14-2013, 03:28 PM

The Acer Revo 1600 just got replaced 3 weeks ago with Gateway SX2865-UR2. Nothing wrong with it as a perfect HTPC running on MyMovies for Windows Media Center 7. It was able to play all 1080p MKVs and bluray rips I could throw at it.

The only reason I replaced it was because I needed more horsepower in order to also use it dual purpose as an NVR. I got the following i3 quad core latest revision for $350 at Fry's on Sale: Gateway SX2865-UR2. It's a great, very powerful replacement...I just added a cheap $20 toslink USB external sound card in order to do pass-through 5.1 audio to my receiver/amp. Works great as my HTPC, NVR, and Airprint server at the same time, absolutely no lag even while driving six 1080p IP Security Cameras and me connecting remotely with my smartphone.

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-SX2865-UR26-Desktop-Black/dp/B00CP18XDI/ref=cm_cr-mr-title
post #8 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hammer View Post

My revo is running windows 7 currently with 2 gigs of ram. It‘s still working fine and I haven’t had any problems yet. I just want some feedback from others who have a revo or similar HTPC and have upgraded or looking to. The link to the Gigabyte mini looks very interesting; I found it here for $ 145 and am very tempted to just buy it. But I want more feedback from other HTPC users. Has anyone used one yet can you tell me about the performance? One HTPC mini comes with an ARM processor running windows 8 I would be interested to see how an ARM processor would work for an HTPC.
You totally lost me. I can understand that the Revo 1600 is underpowered for certain things, but if you're going to upgradeI would steer clear of an Atom CPU. Maybe the one you've linked to is considerably faster, but I think the Atom CPU is the main problem with the Revo 1600. Based on your requirements, I would recommend looking into a NUC or a refurb Mac Mini (or open box from Best Buy).

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I just upgraded my 3610 to Windows 8 and it actually runs WMC pretty well.
Just upped my Revo to Win 8.1 and it's now even closer to my i3 win 7 WMC machines. It took it about 4 hours to do the update though...tongue.gif
post #10 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Both my Acer R1600 (1GB RAM) and R3610 (2 GB RAM) run windows 8.1 + WMC. They both do okay as WMC dedicated devices, waking from sleep up to record scheduled OTA HD. Their native 5400 RPM hard drives handle recording and playback of 1080p video well enough, but anything else requiring disk I/O is a major bottleneck. E.g. they are slow to boot, slow to shutdown, wake, sleep, etc. When unattended, this doesn't really matter. Will be upgrading at least one of them with SSD and 4GB RAM, expecting a noticeable performance boost, mostly from the SSD.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

4GB RAM helps (most noticeable the second time you do something like use the guide). I had a 64GB SSD in it for a while but recycled the drive into an i3-3225 build. It currently sports a 500GB 7200RPM drive.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page