Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-19-2013, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have a question.

I'm gonna buy a home cinema system and I was planning on watching movies on it by connecting an hdmi from my laptop to my receiver. Most of the movies I will be watching will be blu ray movies, so will I be able to get uncompressed HD sound? Like dts hd master, dolby true hd? I'm guessing this will be in a form of uncompressed PCM as it will be sent to my receiver to decode from my laptop?

Now here's what I need to know, will a normal hdmi cable be enough for uncompressed PCM? Or do I need one of the newer version like 1,3 or even 1,4 as these support something called audio return channel? I have no idea what audio return channel is, but do I need it in my case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A normal short HDMI cable will do the job, on bitstreaming hd audio that will depend on the chipset in your laptop.ARC just lets you send sound back down hdmi cable from your tv to your av receiver primarily to listen to the sound from the tv tuner.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Most of the movies I will be watching will be blu ray movies, so will I be able to get uncompressed HD sound? Like dts hd master, dolby true hd? I'm guessing this will be in a form of uncompressed PCM as it will be sent to my receiver to decode from my laptop?

Depends, are you watching from the disc? Or a rip of some sort? Basically, it depends on what software is used for playback and if you have the correct codecs and demuxers installed.
Quote:
Now here's what I need to know, will a normal hdmi cable be enough for uncompressed PCM? Or do I need one of the newer version like 1,3 or even 1,4 as these support something called audio return channel? I have no idea what audio return channel is, but do I need it in my case?

Just about any hdmi cable will work just fine. Many people, including myself, will highly recommend monoprice.com for those. ARC is not needed in your case.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page