HTPC 1080p mkv audio & video stuttering - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-19-2013, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a G540 cpu based htpc with 4gb of ram built from assassin's guide. I have my media server on a Gigabit LAN switch with my htpc. I am using shark's latest codec pack configured using assassin's guide playing through wmc and mb. I'm only getting stuttering for my 1080p mkv's and it happens as soon as I play the file and will continue through out the movie. The stuttering does not happen happen when I play DVD quality mkv's. I'm at my wits end with trying figure out what's causing the stuttering, please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 04:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Could be a network issue. Try to store one directly on the htpc and play it back to rule that out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yea def a network issue 1080p MKV played perfectly on locally on the htpc. Any suggestions on what to take a look at? I have flow control enabled, jumbo frames disabled, 1.Gbps full duplex on both the HTPC and the Media server. I did notice that Energy efficient ethernet is enabled on the media server along with green ethernet.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Try to disable Interrupt Moderation.

-

-
post #5 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Try to disable Interrupt Moderation.
Should I disable on the htpc or the media server?
post #6 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250

What kind of speeds do you get when you transfer a file from the server to the htpc?

post #7 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by megrog2 View Post

Should I disable on the htpc or the media server?

Usually both.

-

-
post #8 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Usually both.
That was it! Disabling interrupt moderation stopped the stuttering. Thank you kindly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

What kind of speeds do you get when you transfer a file from the server to the htpc?
Server to the htpc I got 38Mb/s, htpc back to the server I'm only getting 11.6Mb/s for some reason.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

That was it! Disabling interrupt moderation stopped the stuttering. Thank you kindly.
Server to the htpc I got 38Mb/s, htpc back to the server I'm only getting 11.6Mb/s for some reason.

I would make sure that all of your cables are Cat5e or Cat6. I would also make sure that all your network switches, routers, etc are indeed gigabit.

post #10 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Spoke to soon its still stuttering. I'll check the cables, I know my LAN switch is indeed Gigabit as I just purchased it to troubleshoot the stuttering.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
30 Mb/s on wired LAN ?? or MB/s ?
post #12 of 16 Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yes wired 30Mb/s
post #13 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Somethings not right with your network connection, you should at least be getting 100 megabits. Is it possible to connect the htpc and server directly to the router for testing?

post #14 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Somethings not right with your network connection, you should at least be getting 100 megabits. Is it possible to connect the htpc and server directly to the router for testing?
My media server and my htpc are in the basement and I have this monoprice Gigabit LAN switch on my rack with all of my components on it. My DSL router is only 100Mb/s and it is two floors up, so I have a powerline adapter providing internet from the second floor to my rack in the basement.

I'm going to check all of my cables but I'm sure they are all cat 6 UTP as I just bought them, except for one I think. Also going to take everything else off the LAN switch expect the HTPC and the media server then test again.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My media server and my htpc are in the basement and I have this monoprice Gigabit LAN switch on my rack with all of my components on it. My DSL router is only 100Mb/s and it is two floors up, so I have a powerline adapter providing internet from the second floor to my rack in the basement.

I'm going to check all of my cables but I'm sure they are all cat 6 UTP as I just bought them, except for one I think. Also going to take everything else off the LAN switch expect the HTPC and the media server then test again.

I have a feeling that the powerline adapter is affecting the switch somehow. Can you remove it from the switch? You may need to manually set a IP address for the server and HTPC to connect to each other.

post #16 of 16 Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

So moved the htpc and the media server off the gb LAN switch and put them both on the four port gb switch that's on the powerline adapter. The stuttering stopped!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page