Router used as an extender - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all!

At home, I have a talktalk DSL-2780 Broadband Wireless NADSL2+ Router, and a Belkin ADSL2+ Modem with Wireless G Plus MIMO router. The TalkTalk router is the one currently being used, and that works fine. However, the signal isn't strong enough in the far corners of the house!

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could use the Belkin as a repeater for the TalkTalk, so that the WiFi could be used all over the house?

Thanks in advance!

Toby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
If you can get at the GUI for it you may be able to do that but I don't know.

What purpose do you want to do this for? If it is streaming HD content it may give you issues even if you can get the signal to all corners of your house.

post #3 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Is that the same as going to "http://192.168.2.1/"?

It's only for basic internet access, emails, facebook, that kind of thing. I get one bar on a laptop and none on my phone in my office!
post #4 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Check out dd-wrt or tomato and see if either work on your router. Otherwise you'll have to buy a repeater.

And why are you posting in the HTPC forum?
post #5 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

I'm new to this, and I saw someone had asked a similar question to me so I just clicked "Start a new thread". Which forum should it be in? smile.gif
post #6 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
In the HTPC forum "extenders" have a different meaning. We focus on issues related to multimedia on PCs. Your question has to do with routers and networking. I don't know what forum that is, but it isn't this one. Sorry
post #7 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Don't listen to that grumpy gus. I for one know several definitions of 'extender'. My router has a simple drop-down box to select. I presume mine isn't the only one that's that simple. If this doesn't help then you might take a look up in the 'Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming' sub-forum.

PS: Looking at your image, I don't think the Belkin has that option. Perhaps the talktalk one does? If so, can you use the Belkin as the modem and the talktalk as the extender? Or you can get a repeater for as little as $20: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010072&IsNodeId=1&Description=repeater&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100
post #8 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It might be under the "Wireless" -> "Wireless Bridge" option.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 140
post #10 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 185
this is interesting but is it relevant to the thread? The OP wants a repeater and not an access point,which would require an LAN connection to the first router.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 02:36 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

this is interesting but is it relevant to the thread? The OP wants a repeater and not an access point,which would require an LAN connection to the first router.

I think it is relevant as it gives another option for the OP. Personally I find wireless repeaters to work poorly whereas setting up a router as an AP works really well and is easy to setup. All that is needed is a LAN connection which can easily be provided by getting a couple of £30 200mbps home plugs.

David
post #12 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

And personally, converting a wireless router to an AP is only marginally better than using a repeater. The issue is both APs on the wireless network are independent APs so they really don't function as a single logical wireless network. Part of the setup when doing this conversion is to have both APs broadcast the same SSID but on different channels. Now when a wireless client connects, the association algorith is left solely to the wireless client which in many cases is sub-optimal. When the wireless client is next to one AP, yes, no problem, it will connect fine. Problems come in when you start to roam. The selection and association algorithms of wireless clients for roaming as I mentioned is not that great. The other issue is that these independent APs don't work with each other in their RF output. It is possible where one AP's RF output will overwhelm its neighbor AP where the converage area of the two overlap.

For me the best scenario is to purchase a real multi AP unified wireless solution when you need better coverage. There are some lower cost solutions out there from Ubiquiti, Meraki, and Aruba Networks. Even a SonicWall solution can be considered as you can purchase a TZ105W which has a built in AP and is a firewall along with a SonicPoint AP. All SonicWall firewalls have wireless controller capability to allow for a multi AP unified wireless deployment.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

It might be under the "Wireless" -> "Wireless Bridge" option.

That would be where I'd look. Take a look at page 51 of the manual.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page