W8 Ceton InfiniTV Experience? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-21-2013, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I've been using my W7 Ultimate X64 HTPC with Ceton InfiniTV watching/recording Cable TV for years. It is once rock solid HTPC to me.

I do not have any tablet except iPad. Is it a good idea to move up to W8? Any W8 Ceton user here that can share with me their W8 Ceton InfiniTV experience?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Worked exactly like win 7 for the hour I was able to tolerate win 8.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Works fine for me. Only limitation is that the Win 8 driver doesn't allow for network tuner sharing. Just add StartIsBack if you don't like using Win 8.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Works fine for me. Only limitation is that the Win 8 driver doesn't allow for network tuner sharing. Just add StartIsBack if you don't like using Win 8.
Unfortunately the missing start button is only the tip of the iceberg. For me, the damage they have done to every facet of windows is insurmountable, no matter how many add-ons and hacks you use. Just my opinion. Don't mean to turn this into a Win 8 vs. Win 7 thread.

While I agree than Ceton works fine in Win 8, I'm a strong believer in the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also realize that if you have any extenders that aren't xboxes, they won't work anymore. So I have to say, no, it is not a good idea to "upgrade" your HTPC to Win 8.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Unfortunately the missing start button is only the tip of the iceberg. For me, the damage they have done to every facet of windows is insurmountable, no matter how many add-ons and hacks you use. Just my opinion. Don't mean to turn this into a Win 8 vs. Win 7 thread.

While I agree than Ceton works fine in Win 8, I'm a strong believer in the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also realize that if you have any extenders that aren't xboxes, they won't work anymore. So I have to say, no, it is not a good idea to "upgrade" your HTPC to Win 8.

Thanks for the advice.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Win 8 is just fine with a Ceton InfiniTV installed. I really have no problem with Metro as far as a start screen for an HTPC. I have mine setup with only a few tiles and my HTPC loads to the tiles and I can select XBMC, WMC, IE or Desktop. It's really fairly simple.

My other HTPC is running Win 7 and I won't be upgrading it to Win 8 simply because of the Networking Tuner issue.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
We test on both Windows 7 and 8 and the InfiniTV works fine on both. My personal HTPC is on Windows 7 still simply because there is no reason to upgrade. However other machines in my house with InfiniTVs, like my desktop PC, do run Windows 8

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #8 of 8 Old 04-23-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Windows 8 works great with the ceton. If you use netflix, the windows 8 netflix app is really nice, with the exception of no keyboard shortcuts/remote capabilities.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page