I have posted before about building a HTPC, and need a media server to become the storage hub for my household. In the past, I use to run WHS v1 which recently died and hence need to build a replacement server.
1. I own about 0.75 Tb of content, most of which are family photos and videos (have a 3 yr old
). I need a method to host a photo website so my family has easy access to pictures.
2. Function as a DVR for OTA recordings which would be done via the HTPC but the network storage pool would be used to hold the content.
3. Plan to have 4 TB pool via 2 x 2tb HDD ( already purchased Seagate greens)
4. Stream music / videos / photos throughout the household via plex. Need processor power to transcode.
5. Remotely access secure documents, plan to use skydrive fetch feature.
6. Rip some DVD / Blu-rays for easy playback for the kids, need MKV support.
7. Some way to back-up the server itself - esp the photos and videos.
8. Ability to serve and stream to 3 devices simultaneously, HTPC / iPad / Galaxy tab.
1. My biggest point of confusion is which OS to choose: Win 8 / WHS 2011 / Win 7.
2. Processor (i5 vs i7) for compute power but at the same need the power consumption to be as low as possible.
3. Minimize fan noise as it will be kept in my closet beside the bedroom.
4. Should I wait for Haswell line coming out this summer?
I already own the HDD and have Cat 5e wiring in my house. Rest everything needs to be purchased. Please help my utterly confused soul. I want this server to last for a minimum 7 - 10 years.