Record streaming video from HTPC to a DVD recorder ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't care for the time consuming software to capture streaming video so was wondering --

Has anyone ever tried to record a composite output from a video card directly to a DVD recorder ? on the fly. so to speak ?

My concern would be the video card itself because if it has a composite output, the technology would be too outdated to perform well -- but, how about a newer card with a VGA output and then a VGA to composite cable that feeds the DVD recorder. (composite is right there on one of the VGA pins isn't it?)

The HTPC itself would be Win 7, dual core with 3 ghz cpu.

And, if I wanted just the video of interest, I would put it in full screen -- hit play on the PC, then record on the DVD recorder.

Anyone doing this?

THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-24-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I did that back in the 90's, and it worked fine. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone this century.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

why?

don't care about HD really, just grabbing some old TV stuff off youtube. and streaming capture software is a pain.

just hit record and walk away with this.

haven't tried it yet but will scrounge through my old video cards for a VGA output -- probably will set up a seperate PC just for this purpose I'm thinking.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-24-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Like I said, it works fine. So if that's what you want, it's doable. But simply downloading the video files is much faster and easier IMO.

With your method, video must be full screen, 640x480 and never fail or rebuffer. Just seems like a lot more trouble than its worth and not reliable. That's why I stopped doing it years ago.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

I must have tried the wrong software then -- what is the latest greatest and fastest software I can use for Chrome and Win 7?

Believe I've used "video downloader" and something else.

THANKS.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcramdon View Post

why?

don't care about HD really, just grabbing some old TV stuff off youtube. and streaming capture software is a pain.

just hit record and walk away with this.

haven't tried it yet but will scrounge through my old video cards for a VGA output -- probably will set up a seperate PC just for this purpose I'm thinking.

I use Keepvid to download Youtube files to my hard drive. I keep stuff in MP4 format.

http://keepvid.com/
post #7 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 AM

Liked: 11
If you use Firefox, the video downloadhelper add-on works well
post #8 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Ok -- been playing with YTD downloader and better than I thought -- must have had a clogged cpu or something last time I tried it -- not bad.

Wonder if the pro version is worth it ? Will buy it if indeed faster.

Thanks for the keepvid info -- may compare.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Don't care for the time consuming software to capture streaming video so was wondering --

Has anyone ever tried to record a composite output from a video card directly to a DVD recorder ? on the fly. so to speak ?

My concern would be the video card itself because if it has a composite output, the technology would be too outdated to perform well -- but, how about a newer card with a VGA output and then a VGA to composite cable that feeds the DVD recorder. (composite is right there on one of the VGA pins isn't it?)

The HTPC itself would be Win 7, dual core with 3 ghz cpu.

And, if I wanted just the video of interest, I would put it in full screen -- hit play on the PC, then record on the DVD recorder.

Anyone doing this?

THANKS
That makes absolutely no sense. Screen capture software captures in real time, exactly the same real time that a DVD recorder would use. I get excellent results using Action!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCKwxzL3VM&hd=1 FWIW if YouTube is the only source you want this works: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355501-Looking-for-a-Proper-YouTube-Downloader-Website?p=2237699#post2237699
post #10 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Live and learn.

Did not know that -- guess I had the thought some sort of buffer was written in advance of real time and just playback was real time.

What's the deal with these progress bars (gray and red) then ?

Guess I was under the impression that the download (grey) (or whatever color) can finish way before the real time viewing (red) ?

Seems to me also that in the past if I tried to view streaming video and the download wasn't being written in advance (way in advance?), video playback sucked.

Guess I'm confusing the download with what the capture software actually does.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Live and learn.

Did not know that -- guess I had the thought some sort of buffer was written in advance of real time and just playback was real time.

What's the deal with these progress bars (gray and red) then?
Streaming is the same as downloading, only it's downloading to a temp location (at least when talking about sites like youtube. there are other types of streaming that functions a bit differently, but that's another topic).
On youtube, the gray bar is the download progress, the red is the playback point. So if your playback point catches up to the gray download progress, then it has to pause to wait for more to be downloaded (called buffering).

Screen capture software does capture in real time. Say you didn't wait for the whole video to load (gray bar full width of the player) and you were recording playback and the playback caught up to the download progress and had to buffer, the screen capture would record the buffering as well. Same goes with a DVD recorder.

If there is a download option, and there are several ways for youtube, then that's the best route. You're getting the original youtube file and your computer doesn't have to do any of the encoding that is required with screen capture software.

I don't have much occasion to do it, but I've use Firefox with the Video Downloadhelper and DownThemAll (download manager/accelerator) add-ons to get clips at very good download speeds.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Got it.

You know what though? As I mentioned at the start, it IS time consuming if you count the download, converting the file from FLV to DVD (or whatever) and then burning the DVD.

My objective is getting some things from you tube on DVD so think I'm heading toward the original plan and setting up a dedicated machine that uses a DVD reorder to record on the fly from my videp card output (have a nice card with an S video out laying around).

Make fun if you want but how can you beat clicking a mouse to play and then record on the DVD remote ?

Less time and much less WORK.

Not to mention beating the crap out of a hard drive.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

Got it.

You know what though? As I mentioned at the start, it IS time consuming if you count the download, converting the file from FLV to DVD (or whatever) and then burning the DVD.

My objective is getting some things from you tube on DVD so think I'm heading toward the original plan and setting up a dedicated machine that uses a DVD reorder to record on the fly from my videp card output (have a nice card with an S video out laying around).

Been there, done that and the download route is far superior.

If you try to do it with a DVD recorder you have to manually synch the download and the operation of the DVD recorder.

I don't know what kind of link you have, but if its fast enough to do live video, the download times won't be that long.

Have you actually tried any of this?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page