Getting surround (5.1) from laptop (audio over HDMI) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm not sure if this is th ebest subforum for this, but I figured it's a good place to start.

I'm having some problems getting more than stereo out of my laptop over HDMI.

My source is a blu-ray of Life of Pi that I ripped to my laptop.

My laptop comes with RealTek HD audio, and I'm plugging my laptop into my Denon 1612 receiver via HDMI.

When I try toggling the sound mixer settings on the Denon, I only see Stereo, MultiCH in, Mono, Virtual Surround, etc When I switch to the "Direct" setting (what i typically use when watching a Blu-Ray from my Samsung BD Player), it still just gives stereo, some I'm thinking this is a source problem from my laptop.

When I go to the Windows 8 sound control settings and I right click on the DENON-AVAMP and I test the sounds, I get sound test beeps properly from all 5 speakers and the sub...but the movies are still playing 2.0 while watching the movie.? Also, in the RealTek HD App, it does not allow me to select a speaker configuration, it's greyed out with stereo selected, I was expecting to see a 5.1 or some sort of Dolby option.

Thanks for any tips/suggestions

My system:
Lenovo Y580
i7 3630QM
nVidia GTX 660M
Intel Panther Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I'm not familiar with Windows 8 yet. However, with Windows 7, you have to set the system sound settings to 2 channel, and then set your playback software to 5.1.

Also, what audio did you rip the movie with? Is it the full DTS-MA or DD? Or did it get downmixed to regular 5.1 Dolby? Depending on your playback software, you may need a demuxer software to separate the audio, or a codec to play it back properly.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I ripped it straight with AnyDVD HD

No encoding. I've had the same problem with other file sources as well. I'll look into the codec issue.

I do have K-LITE 9.6.5 FULL installed (As well as x64). I'm not uber savvy with all that, but I can find my way around.

I did notice the "Codec Tweak Tool" which allows you to choose your speaker config. I'll play with that when I get home.

Thanks sitlet
post #4 of 4 Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250

I would not recommend installing codec packs, MPC HC + LAV filters is all you need. Add MadVR if you want a better video renderer.

Meetloaf13 likes this.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page