Loud CPU Fan on new i3-3225 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a i3-3225 cpu with a corsair CX-430 psu. the case is a fractal node 304. MB is the ASrock H77M mini itx. Everything is stock fans but for some reason the cpu fan is really loud. I returned the cpu/fan at the store for a replacement and the replacement was just as loud. I cant figure out if its the mb causing the fan to be so loud or if other people are having the same problem with the i3-3225 cpu's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I had the same CPU and mobo. The CPU fan is quiet on mine. Make sure you didn't run the fan on full speed (even on full speed, the noise level is low). The CPU fan is PWM controlled and should be quiet on normal load beause it rotates slower. What you need to pay attention is the four wires on the stock fan. You need re-route it carefully so that it won't touch the fan blades. Out of box, those wires are very close to fan blades and easily touch them without re-arrange them.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I had the same CPU and mobo. The CPU fan is quiet on mine. Make sure you didn't run the fan on full speed (even on full speed, the noise level is low). The CPU fan is PWM controlled and should be quiet on normal load beause it rotates slower. What you need to pay attention is the four wires on the stock fan. You need re-route it carefully so that it won't touch the fan blades. Out of box, those wires are very close to fan blades and easily touch them without re-arrange them.

Yeah I made some changes to the wires so they dont touch the blade. I can take another look though. How do I do the other adjustment you are talking about? I am starting to wonder if maybe its a bios setting or a bios update I need?

I didnt make any adjustments. I just plugged it all in and kept it stock and fired it up. My main HTPC and NAS is a core-i5 and its silent.
post #4 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the same CPU, super quiet

Is the CPU fan plugged into the MB?
post #5 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-F1 View Post

I have the same CPU, super quiet

Is the CPU fan plugged into the MB?

Yes it is plugged into the MB. its super odd to me that the oriignal one i bought and this replacement one are both just as loud. I mean i just dont see it being a faulty MB.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I take the wire out of the retainers and carefully route the wire to make sure none of them touch the fan blades. In mobo BIOS, you can change the option of how the CPU fan should operate. There is also an ASROCK xTreme Tuner app that can change how fast the fan operates and monitor the fan speed and temp.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I take the wire out of the retainers and carefully route the wire to make sure none of them touch the fan blades. In mobo BIOS, you can change the option of how the CPU fan should operate. There is also an ASROCK xTreme Tuner app that can change how fast the fan operates and monitor the fan speed and temp.
Is there any recommended conditions for the CPU temp?
post #8 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Probably under 60C would be good. Take a look at this starting around page 40.

post #9 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Im wondering if those little brass post that the mb sit on if one wasent tightened all the way would that cause it to be uneven slightly and cause the issue? seems far fetched but thats really the only thing I can think of as far as physical wise.
post #10 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Those little brass posts are called "stand-offs". If you have a loose one it can create noise for sure.

post #11 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Those little brass posts are called "stand-offs". If you have a loose one it can create noise for sure.
Yeah but i doubt it would create this noise...? its most definatly coming from the CPU fan.
post #12 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 248

What is your cpu temp? Maybe the heatsink is not seated correctly causing the fan to run at high speed.

post #13 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Liked: 12
Update the motherboard BIOS? I once upgraded my BIOS (not having any issues, just did: mistake) and something didn't go right. It caused the same behavior you were describing, the temperature monitoring wasn't working because the CPU fan was really loud. I downgraded to the working BIOS and the problem went away.
post #14 of 26 Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will try the bios update first and report back. Cheers!
post #15 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I just updated the bios on an MSI H61M and the fan went crazy. I had to go into the bios and change the fan setting from auto to some specific targets. I set the CPU target to 50C and set the max fan speed to about 50 percent. The CPU runs about 39C and the fan silent. I did not try for higher temps or fan speeds but I expect those would be fine as well, it was automatic that seemed to send the fan speed out of control with the new bios. The bios upgrade was required to get my new GPU recognized. The MSI board would not post with an HD 7790 with the original bios that the factory installed.

This was a prebuilt Micro Center Sandy Bridge and had never really misbehaved before.

Just another blank signature.
post #16 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 AM

Liked: 13
Well like other's have said it's either your stock cooler isn't mounted properly or the fan speed setting in your bios is set wrong.
Under NORMAL load the cpu shouldn't get hot so the fan shouldn't get loud either.
Refer to your motherboard bios for the fan speed. And for the cooler mounting, take a look at it and see if it sits on top of the cpu level and that the four pins are pushed in properly. Sometimes those pins can be a real PITA to push down but when they are properly pushed down they give a clear quite audible snap or click sound.
Oh, does the fan noise go up and down depending on what you are doing on the computer? If it does go up and down then the fan speed control does work but it's either setup wrong or the cooler doesn't make proper contact with the cpu so the fan has to spin faster to compensate.

E: And the motherboard stand offs can't make that kind of noise. All they do is lift the motherboard off the backside of the case so it doesn't short out components on the back of the motherboard.. If one of those stand offs would a tad too loose it would just make your motherboard sit in the case a little bit crooked. Nothing to really worry about since the height difference wouldn't be huge. If those would make the noise, well then I would guess it would be more like a rattling noise (metal vs metal). A loud fan makes either or combinated a) loud humm b) loud ticking c) screeching sound of the blades cutting through air. If it's more like a flapping noise then there's something in the case that makes contact with the fan blade, for example the fan cable could touch the fan blade.

lagittaja@Overclock.net | Lagittaja@MuroBBS | Also Anandtech AVForums DIYAudio Head-Fi XDA-Developers e-Savuke ECF VFF VaporWall VapePit & etceteros
Main rig
post #17 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post

Well like other's have said it's either your stock cooler isn't mounted properly or the fan speed setting in your bios is set wrong.
Under NORMAL load the cpu shouldn't get hot so the fan shouldn't get loud either.
Refer to your motherboard bios for the fan speed. And for the cooler mounting, take a look at it and see if it sits on top of the cpu level and that the four pins are pushed in properly. Sometimes those pins can be a real PITA to push down but when they are properly pushed down they give a clear quite audible snap or click sound.
Oh, does the fan noise go up and down depending on what you are doing on the computer? If it does go up and down then the fan speed control does work but it's either setup wrong or the cooler doesn't make proper contact with the cpu so the fan has to spin faster to compensate.

E: And the motherboard stand offs can't make that kind of noise. All they do is lift the motherboard off the backside of the case so it doesn't short out components on the back of the motherboard.. If one of those stand offs would a tad too loose it would just make your motherboard sit in the case a little bit crooked. Nothing to really worry about since the height difference wouldn't be huge. If those would make the noise, well then I would guess it would be more like a rattling noise (metal vs metal). A loud fan makes either or combinated a) loud humm b) loud ticking c) screeching sound of the blades cutting through air. If it's more like a flapping noise then there's something in the case that makes contact with the fan blade, for example the fan cable could touch the fan blade.

So here is the update. I ended up taking the mb off the stand-offs and re screwing everything back in. I checked that the fan was snapped in on the 4post of the cpu so i would assume its seated properly. I mean the cpu I put in and then there is the latch that goes over and locks it in place. it was locked in place. Then the fan was placed on and all 4 fan post were popped in and looking correct.

The bios was outdated so I updated it to the most current. I saw the fan setting was set to FULL ON so I changed it to automatic with a target at 50c and set fan speed to 3. I saved and it rebooted. I noticed it spin down and it was a bit more quiet. Then fired up XBMC watched a few shows and as it just sat in the menu after I could hear the damn thing again. It sounded like the fan speed went back up to full on its own.

I guess I cant tell if the problem is with the fan itself or with the MB. This is the second cpu/fan but I do notice that intel ships these with 4 possible fan vendors. My i5 doesn't suffer from this issue at all. I just cant seem to figure out what to do next or what to troubleshoot. I dont want to buy a 3rd party fan and run into the same problem and be out $30 bucks.

Ideas? fyi my motherboard shows 2 possible 4 pin fan cables but only one is labled CPU. I have the ASRock H77M-ITX for reference. I have it plugged into the CPU fan slot. from all I can tell its plugged in all the way on the contacts.
post #18 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Motherboards usually have at least two fan sockets: one for CPU fan, one for case fan. Don't plug in the wrong socket.

With my i3-3225, even at full on speed, the fan noise is not that noticable. My power supply fan and case fan makes more noise than that. The stock intel OEM CPU fan seems to have very limited PWM adjust range. So the fan noise doesn't change much for me. 3rd party CPU cooler and fans can offer better noise control.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I had a loud fan issue with an ASRock and it was related to what you mentioned. Turns out ASRock sets their CPU fan default speed to FULL ON. Simply turning that down solved my issue.

post #20 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 13
Well then it is just your fan speed settings that are the problem. The target temperature and the target fan speed level.
I don't have an Asrock motherboard (yet) so I do not know how the different levels and targets work.
Maybe you should install AXTU (the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility) and use it to mess with the fan speed settings while you are in Windows
You can find it here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H77M-ITX/?cat=Download select your OS and then scroll down a little bit to find the AXTU download.

lagittaja@Overclock.net | Lagittaja@MuroBBS | Also Anandtech AVForums DIYAudio Head-Fi XDA-Developers e-Savuke ECF VFF VaporWall VapePit & etceteros
Main rig
post #21 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post

Well then it is just your fan speed settings that are the problem. The target temperature and the target fan speed level.
I don't have an Asrock motherboard (yet) so I do not know how the different levels and targets work.
Maybe you should install AXTU (the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility) and use it to mess with the fan speed settings while you are in Windows
You can find it here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H77M-ITX/?cat=Download select your OS and then scroll down a little bit to find the AXTU download.
I will try the software. I changed it in the bios but it didnt really seem to make a difference. I am kind of disappointed so far. I really dont know where the issue is. the cpu fan or the mb.
post #22 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The ASRock mobo BIOS fan settings are not very well written IMO. Compared to what I got on Gigabyte Mobos, it is retarded. On Gigabyte, it gives you preset settings (normal, silent etc.) as well as two threshold temp settings (low and high) so that it can scale the fan speed between the two properly. As we know, mobo and CPUs started at around 20C or so. So a base low temp point of 20c is appropriate to effectively control the fan speed as temp rises. On ASRock, it only has the top temp settings. The low end seems to be fixed at 0C which doesn't make any sense. As a result, in order to achieve lower fan speed, you need to lower the target fan speed setting which I assume will affect the final fan speed when temp rise real high. I just put in a PWM case fan which rotates from 2000 to 6000 rpm. If I only adjust temp settings, the fan will still scream at around 3500 rpm at 20c temp. I have to effective lower the target fan speed to lowest setting for it to settle down to 2000 rpm.

I now have my CPU FAN target at stage 5 instead of 9. And case fan at lowest 2. Both fans run at their lowest speed right now. Need to verify if CPU temp rises, whether or not it can ramp up the speed.

BIOS settings apply when PC boots up. AXTU software settings only apply when that software is loaded (which you can ask it to load at start up). Two basically does the same thing. So, I'd stick with BIOS settings.
post #23 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The ASRock mobo BIOS fan settings are not very well written IMO. Compared to what I got on Gigabyte Mobos, it is retarded. On Gigabyte, it gives you preset settings (normal, silent etc.) as well as two threshold temp settings (low and high) so that it can scale the fan speed between the two properly. As we know, mobo and CPUs started at around 20C or so. So a base low temp point of 20c is appropriate to effectively control the fan speed as temp rises. On ASRock, it only has the top temp settings. The low end seems to be fixed at 0C which doesn't make any sense. As a result, in order to achieve lower fan speed, you need to lower the target fan speed setting which I assume will affect the final fan speed when temp rise real high. I just put in a PWM case fan which rotates from 2000 to 6000 rpm. If I only adjust temp settings, the fan will still scream at around 3500 rpm at 20c temp. I have to effective lower the target fan speed to lowest setting for it to settle down to 2000 rpm.

I now have my CPU FAN target at stage 5 instead of 9. And case fan at lowest 2. Both fans run at their lowest speed right now. Need to verify if CPU temp rises, whether or not it can ramp up the speed.

BIOS settings apply when PC boots up. AXTU software settings only apply when that software is loaded (which you can ask it to load at start up). Two basically does the same thing. So, I'd stick with BIOS settings.

Maybe I should swap the mobo then. I have time to do that and I actually took it over a gigabyte from the reviews I read. Seems like there is not many choices when it comes to mini itx.
post #24 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtoodles View Post

Maybe I should swap the mobo then. I have time to do that and I actually took it over a gigabyte from the reviews I read. Seems like there is not many choices when it comes to mini itx.

Not so fast. I did some more testing by encoding a video clip while monitoring the fan speed vs CPU temp. It seems I misunderstood the settings. Target fan speed is what you want as your normal fan speed. Target temp is what you want to control under. Based on these two settings, the fan control logic automatically ramp fan speed up or down to achieve the results. It works as intended. So to achieve the silent results, you should set target fan speed to the lowest and target temp to something you can tolerate (50 or 60c). The BIOS will do its best to maintain the desired fan speed while keep temp under control.

The problem with Gigabyte mobo is that I had bad experience with them in the past: its BIOS tend to get corrupted often. I have to RMA once and the problem continue to happen. Ironically, the one feature they offer is dual-BIOS chips to avoid BIOS problem which didn't help at all.
post #25 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I don't remember what I set my ASRock's BIOS settings to for the CPU fan speed, but I did get the Target Speed and Target Temp correct. I'd say the OP just needs to adjust the two and it will fix the "problem". Do a quick Google search for ASRock BIOS fan speed.

post #26 of 26 Old 04-25-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Not so fast. I did some more testing by encoding a video clip while monitoring the fan speed vs CPU temp. It seems I misunderstood the settings. Target fan speed is what you want as your normal fan speed. Target temp is what you want to control under. Based on these two settings, the fan control logic automatically ramp fan speed up or down to achieve the results. It works as intended. So to achieve the silent results, you should set target fan speed to the lowest and target temp to something you can tolerate (50 or 60c). The BIOS will do its best to maintain the desired fan speed while keep temp under control.

The problem with Gigabyte mobo is that I had bad experience with them in the past: its BIOS tend to get corrupted often. I have to RMA once and the problem continue to happen. Ironically, the one feature they offer is dual-BIOS chips to avoid BIOS problem which didn't help at all.
The irony! haha. Interesting. I will go back in and set fan speed to 1 then and target to maybe 55c. I read a lot of good things on my asrock mb so I picked it. Also its got ties to asus who I usually buy but micro centers mini itx asus board was over 200 frown.gif so I felt the asrock was the best bang for the buck for a secondary HTPC.

In the end its not a HUGE deal breaker I set the hybrid sleep for 10minutes so if i have silence and the computer is on i only have to worry about it for 10minutes. then if i need to wake it up i use my iphones WOL function to wake it up instantly. Just wish I didnt have to deal with the fan issue. I suffer from OCD with this kind of stuff smile.gif

I appreciate all the input guys, love this site!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page