Overclocking - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm looking for the best walk through of overclocking processors and graphics cards for beginners. Thanks in advance!

Mike Clough #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't have much to offer other than to say I would stay away from overclocking an HTPC. I don't want any issues on mine that causes the wife to call and say the tv isn't working.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-24-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeclough24 View Post

I'm looking for the best walk through of overclocking processors and graphics cards for beginners. Thanks in advance!

YouTube. Or over clockers.net

You won't find much help here. This forum and its members are too practical and simplistic to help you.

You'll likely encounter resistance against over overclocking rather than helpful insight or info

What CPU and mobo ? I might be able to help.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 22 Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

intel 17 and asrock z77 extreme4

Mike Clough #24
post #5 of 22 Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

i7*

Mike Clough #24
post #6 of 22 Old 04-25-2013, 04:18 AM

Liked: 13
Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge i7? eg. 2600K/2700K or 3770K? And what kind of cooling do you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Also Anandtech AVForums DIYAudio Head-Fi XDA-Developers e-Savuke ECF VFF VaporWall VapePit & etceteros

post #7 of 22 Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You'll need a decent water cooler to go beyond 4.5ghz on a 2600k.

It's easier to overclock a 2600k than a 3370k.

You can use the auto tune software to do it for you. Otherwise change the multiplier in bios.

Just search YouTube for a video. There is at least a hundred dudes overclocking i7s on extreme4's. A video should walk you step by step. I'd just plug in common overclock values. No need to mess around yourself when others have done the experimenting.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 22 Old 04-25-2013, 06:41 AM

Don't for heavens sake use an automatic overclocking feature.. What you'll get is surely an overclock but with 90% of the time way WAY too much voltage. And some of those auto overclocking thingies increase the BCLK clock (stock 100Mhz) which affects everything in your system. Sure if you increase the BCLK you could perhaps get to 105-107Mhz range which with multiplier 40 you would get 200-280Mhz increase in the overclock. It isn't even remotely worth it because of the increased chance of having problems with your hard drives and GPU etcetera, basically everything in your system.

Just up the multiplier one step up at a time, run IntelBurnTest with very high or 6gb memory load for 15-20 passes. If it crashes increase voltage two steps and repeat. If it doesn't crash then increase the multiplier by one step and repeat. I tend to use manual voltage setting (constant voltage) on every rig I use but you can of course use the offset voltage which lowers the core voltage when the CPU is running at a lower Mhz (given that you use SpeedStep). When overclocking it helps to use the manual setting to find out what are the limits of your CPU. Then after you have found the proper constant voltage required for say 42x100=4200Mhz then switch the voltage mode to offset and increase the offset voltage from automatic to this value 'stable voltage at 42x - stock voltage = +x.xx v'
For example you could require 1.200v for 4.2Ghz on a 3770K, the stock voltage could be around 1.100v. You would need to set the offset voltage to +0.100v to reach that example using offset. But it's more tricky than that. I suggest you read some guides off of the internet. And I mean READ, not just skim through. Videos don't help. You can't just go and put a settings boom that should do it, it does take more than that. Reading through your motherboard manual helps as well, it should have all the different settings listed in there.
Overclocking a Sandy or Ivy Bridge is just way too easy if you know what you are doing on some level.

But I do want to ask you why do you want to overclock? In HTPC use a stock 3770K should be WAY overkill. I notice you have 550Ti SLI. So you game? What games? Since I seriously doubt those cards would be fast enough for the 3770K to be the bottleneck in your system biggrin.gif Head over to http://www.overclock.net/f/69/nvidia ask in a thread or create a thread for overclocking and stress testing graphics cards. There should be some guides as well.

|
| Also Anandtech AVForums DIYAudio Head-Fi XDA-Developers e-Savuke ECF VFF VaporWall VapePit & etceteros

post #9 of 22 Old 04-26-2013, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

I have a Zalman ultra quiet cpu cooler and i can't remember if it was sandy or ivy.. its 3770 though

Mike Clough #24
post #10 of 22 Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Laggitaja - OK thanks so much for your help man.. Really, I am just getting into pc's and this is my first build and none of my friends know **** about computers so I'm trying to teach myself as much as i can.. I play BF and any decent campaign i can get my hands on like bio shock, skyrim, deus ex, the witcher 2 etc.. I will definitely go post on that website and do some reading for sure!

Mike Clough #24
post #11 of 22 Old 04-26-2013, 03:10 AM

Yeah well if it's a 3770 then it's Ivy.
But yeah, don't worry about overclocking your cpu yet. Those 550Ti's are the bottleneck. The people over at OCN can help you for sure.

Sent from my GNote

|

post #12 of 22 Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Overclockimg won't help you

-

post #13 of 22 Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I thought overclocking died when processors became really cheap.

Who remembers "gold finger" device? OR applying rear window defroster paint to the multipler shunts? Perltier devices?

Old school overclocking.

It was cool when a 600 MHz processor was half the price of a 650 MHz one. Nowdays, difference between processors is minimal.

P.S. If anyone is interested, I have Danger Den copper block (Socket 462, yo!), and Black Ice radiator for sale with EHEM pump....

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #14 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 AM

Well it depends completely on what you're doing.
I have my 3770K overclocked because I use Handbrake a lot for re encoding stuff and here's where it's nice to have that extra grunt available which I get going from stock 3.6Ghz to 4.3Ghz..
For the average Gamer overclocking CPU's doesn't yield any huge improvements unless they have some crazy multi GPU setup. An Ivy or Sandy i3 is enough for any kind of gaming and as far as I know wouldn't bottleneck even an GTX680/7970.
For the average Joe who doesn't play games and only uses his computer for browsing the internet, paying the bills, watching Youtube and Netflix, listening to music, using Microsoft Office or OpenOffice -> a G530 is more than enough. (before I upgraded my CPU to 3770K I had a G530 in this very same rig and I upgraded because I was getting into using Handbrake and wanted better performance, and I had the money to do the upgrade)
Before I downgraded to G530 -> I had a 2500K and a GTX470 rig. 2500K running 4.8Ghz and a GTX470 overclocked as far as it was possible (literally maxing the core clock without messing with the GPU bios). I gamed a lot. And participated in distributed computing projects. My interest in both died. Decided to get rid of the CPU&GPU before Ivy Bridge came (managed to squeeze 185€ from the CPU while I paid 210€ for it, although it helped that it was a rather "silver chip" not golden good but very very good.) Then purchased G530 and a used HD5750. Was happy until I got tired of the poor performance in encoding..

As for overclocking GPU's, overclocking them has never died. If the OP can get his cards from the stock clocks of 900 core 1026 memory (nvidia reference) to somewhere around 1000-1100 core and 1050-1200 memory he would see a very nice increase in performance.

Sent from my GNote

Edit:
Well I actually went and ran Juce's x264 benchmark 0.1
3.6Ghz I get avg fps of 16.833 on medium preset and 2.593 on very slow preset. On 4.3Ghz I get 19.963 and 3.083 respectively.
Increase of 19.44% clock speed results in 18.594% and 18.897% in encoding performance. Worth it? Hell yeah..

And the test folder was on my SSD (Intel 520 60GB) and not on my 3TB drive so that might affect the results a bit.

Running it on my 3TB I get these results with 4.3Ghz medium 20.133 very slow 3.109
Not gonna bother running the test again at 3.6Ghz on the 3TB drive (which is WD30EFRX fyi)

Edi2: And now that my router came back online...I can show you the actual results if you want to see them.
3.6Ghz
http://pastebin.com/9123Yz16
4.3Ghz
http://pastebin.com/EPA6FySP

Updated the original text a bit. Sorry if it is messy! I tend to type a lot when I get going.. biggrin.gif

|

post #15 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Did you also benchmark the difference in heat output and power consumption? Just curious.

post #16 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 08:27 AM

Heat pretty much the same. And same for the noise also.
Intel decided to save a dime on Ivy Bridge and uses regular thermal paste between the IHS (integrated heat spreader) and the actual CPU die instead of fluxless solder (which they have been using afaik a long time) And fluxless solder is vastly superior to any thermal paste.
Whether I would have my 3770K running 3.6Ghz/1.160v or 4.3Ghz/1.160v, in the end the hottest core (core #1) ends up reaching and passing 80*C.
For power, well I don't own a kill-a-watt or any kind of meter.
If I would need to use a higher voltage for the 4.3Ghz speed, then the power consumption difference would be huge. Just look at bit-tech's review of the 3770K.. They pushed the 3770K to 4.8Ghz using 1.34v and under load they measured a difference of a whopping 78w in total system power consumption.
1+1=2.. Poor heat conducting material between IHS and die and stupid amount of voltage = stupid amount of power consumption..
If you're interested, this is a good article http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2281195

For quesstimating the power consumption difference, you'll also need to take into account the speed difference.
Like you saw, increasing the clock speed by 19.44% I got 18-19% of more encoding speed. So the task is getting done faster. So what if the CPU would use let's say 20% more electricity while under load and doing encoding? It uses more electricity but also completes the task faster. Less time computer heating room and less time listening to the fans go whoooom.

|

post #17 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Lagittaja - So overclocking my 550ti will help out with gaming? thats mostly what i'm trying to do. I saw you mentioned handbrake and that is also something else ive been trying to figure out. I have lots of blu rays backed up with makemkv and im trying to compress them and everyone has told me to use handbrake.. Do you know anywhere i can find a good walkthrough for that program?

Mike Clough #24
post #18 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 02:37 PM

Yes.

And the internet is full of Handbrake guides. Just go and Google them up and read several guides. I can't recommend any specific guide since I "learned" using Handbrake pretty much on my own (and by reading Handbrake wiki and looking up x264 settings and what they do). And also I did look up what different settings people used and went from there optimizing the settings for my computer.
Lately I have been using these settings when I want best quality and compression.

But do understand these settings in my opinion are on the border of sane/insane. With animation you can drop the motion estimation range (more like halve it) and drop the mode decision from 9->8. You could also drop the Uneven Multi-Hexagon to Hexagon if you wish. But go and read stuff and try out different settings.

|

post #19 of 22 Old 04-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Guess my rigs must not be typical, I have a 3770 in a p8z77-ws with a BLCK of 107, x41 mult for 4.38Ghz @ 1.224v under load, 32GB (4x8GB) 1712MHz ram @ 9-9-9-28 1t (from 1600 10-10-10-30) and Two N580GTX Lightning Xtremes (3GB) in SLI @ 940/1880/2400 and it's 24+ hours prime95 x64 stable (95% RAM used), 8 hours OCCT Linpack (90% RAM used), 24+ hours memtest86+ 4.20, and OCCT GPU 4+ hours stable - verified with Ungine Heaven 4.0, Valley 1.0, Fire Strike and 3DMark 11 all set to loop for 3 hours (separately) without artifacting.

Yes, it took over a week of trial and error to get the settings just right for my PC. No WHEA errors, no BSOD's, all games work perfectly etc. been up and running for over a year without issue.

My 3930k in a p9x79-ws is my media server and I run it OC'd at 4.3GHz @ 1.34v, same stability testing as above but no BLCK, RAM or GPU overclocking. All c-states except c6 enabled, including speedstep.

Just be aware that an unstable overclock will eat your data (bit rot) and eventually lead to problems with a media server. If you OC, it has to be PERFECT. It will also eat way more power than you may be willing to deal with, and solid cooling solutions need to be implemented to address the extra heat.

Both my rigs are air cooled but in huge cases with Noctua NH-D14's with plenty of air coming in and out to support them.
lagittaja likes this.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

lagittaja - just one more question about handbrake.. what do you put your audio settings at to get your high definition audio to work correctly?

Mike Clough #24
post #21 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 03:24 PM

In the audio tab you can select the codec which Handbrake uses.
Handbrake defaults to AAC.
If your file has DTS-HD and you want to keep DTS-HD then you select from the drop down menu 'DTS-HD (passthru)' and it then won't touch the audio, it just literally passes it through.
This should help you smile.gif
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SurroundSoundGuide

|

post #22 of 22 Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks so much for your help!

Mike Clough #24
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page