Media Center Master (MCM) changes my backdrop artwork to "backdrop.jpg._temp" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-25-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I updated my MCM after I finished my server and I ripped some discs and used MCM to get metadata like I always do. I always check the artwork in "artwork manager" for each title I rip and delete and renumber the backdrops I choose. Since I updated yesterday to 2.05 whenever I make any changes and try to renumber my backdrops it automatically changes all my backdrop files to "backdrop.jpg._temp" and "backdrop1.jpg._temp" and so on... The backdrops then disappear from the "artwork manager" window and all my backdrop files no longer have thumbnails in Windows Explorer. You can see what it did on this screenshot below... Is this supposed to happen? How can I edit or change artwork backdrops and auto renumber them if this happens all the time now?

I am using WHS2011 and the files are stored there. The artwork downloads fine originally but when I go to change anything, it modifies all the backdrop files to "temp" and doesn't show any longer in "artwork manager".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I went to the MCM website and just realized the newest version was only released 3 days ago. I also tried reinstalling and also tried running it on local drives in my workstation PC independent from the server. Still had the same effect. And not only with new rips, it also messes with older rips that have already been set up for over a year. Anytime you go to the artwork manager for any movie and try to modify something MCM just changes all the backdrops. Hopefully there is a solution soon.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Hmmm I just installed the new version and I don't have that problem.

I'd suggest the mediacentermaster forum or email Peter directly.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Hmmm I just installed the new version and I don't have that problem.

I'd suggest the mediacentermaster forum or email Peter directly.

That's interesting because I ran it on 2 different client PC's on 2 different downloads and installs. Both pointing to the network (Flexraid) drive Z: and both had this issue. I thought maybe it was a Flexraid or network or WHS2011 problem so I ran it on a local drive which I happen to have a copy of a few movies on it and it did the same thing completely independent of the network or server.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try the new version

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I saw Peter post on Facebook there was a bug in a newest release he fixed. you got the bad one.

Uninstall reinstall

He fixed the next day

-

post #7 of 15 Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I saw Peter post on Facebook there was a bug in a newest release he fixed. you got the bad one.

Uninstall reinstall

He fixed the next day

It seems I am running the latest version as I downloaded it last night... I have version 2.05, build 11213.1330

It seems the problem is when I try to modify a backdrop or when I click the ticker box for "Automatically renumber backdrops".

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling again.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-29-2013, 05:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Any luck?

(I used mine all weekend)

-

post #9 of 15 Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Until you get it fixed why not use MetaVideoEditor ? I personally like it much better than MCM. The only thing it doesn't do well is fetch actor images.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Why do you like it better than MCM ?

-

post #11 of 15 Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why do you like it better than MCM ?
I personally think it has a much nicer UI that allows quicker and easier previewing of meta data and images. It seems faster to search and find the meta data from the movie databases. And I also find it easier to pick and chose the backdrops and cover art I want to use because it shows image previews side by side while selecting. There are additional features I find useful; I increased the number of backdrop images to 10, and configure it to only add missing data (not overwrite). I never allow MCM or MVE to touch my media library, I point them at a temp working directory because it is too slow to read 300+ movies and MCM overwrites my choice of image art. The one thing that I really like about MCM is the actor art, I use it for this.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for intelligent reply. I'll check it out.

-

post #13 of 15 Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any luck?

(I used mine all weekend)

No, I couldn't get it to work the way it did before. I actually did a complete new install of windows 7 on another PC that is replacing my current HTPC. And even on the clean fresh build it was still giving me the "temp" problem, however this time it only changed half the images to "temp", the others remained unchanged asnormal. I ended up having to manually change the backdrops names in windows explorer to accomplish it.

That is so strange you are not having this issue as I have done it on 2 different PC's, one with a fresh windows 7 install, and reinstalls of MCM from different downloaded files, and I also tried it on local and network drives. All produce the same problem. Anytime the renumber box is clicked it has the issue.

Thanks for the recommendation on metavideoeditor. I will check it out.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff lam View Post

Thanks for the recommendation on metavideoeditor. I will check it out.

Sure. Let me know how it works out.

I suggest not letting any program change your backdrop art once you have locked it in.

Here is a rough outline of how I add new media, metadata, and artwork.
  1. Rip movie to local SSD temp directory.
  2. Perform and CODEC conversion and format changes, strore on on local SSD temp directory.
  3. Run MCM, only reading the new media in the temp directory. Allow MCM to do it's thing. This gets any needed new actor images and stores them to the shared location on my server - the only reason I use MCM.
  4. Run MVE, only reading the new media in the temp directory. Choose cover art, backdrops, etc.
  5. Move temp directory to my movie library on the server.

Neither MCM or MVE are configured to read my movie library on the server. I do not want them changing anything that I have already selected. I do configure both to access and store actor images in my shared area on the server.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Great suggestion to use a temp working directory. I never thought of that, will start doing it immediately.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page