post #31 of 35 Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFromLI View Post

Well, THAT spawned some conversation :-)

I re-checked the Ceton Echo reviews and even the recent ones still seem horrid. I have definitely got caught up in review hell in the past however there just seem to be an overwhelming number of negative reviews for a box that retails for $170 or so.

HOWEVER, in all my research on the Xbox I somehow missed the fact that the "slim" models seem to be much, much more reliable. I had actually bought a used 360 arcade with a bad dvd drive off ebay for testing and even though I'm not really a gamer and only used it for WMC, it died with a RROD after a month or so, granted it was used but still not a good experience. I did fix it via reflowing with a heat gun and replacement of the heat sink screws, but the WAF on a box that can randomly fail while I'm out or at work is very low. However the slim seems worth a try. I definitely prefer to have a server using the HDHomeRun versus a controlled cable box so I think I may give the slims a shot, although they seem to go for more on ebay than I was originally planning on but if they solve my problem then wth...

Only other thing is, with Cablevision and a cablecard, I still get regular errors due to the card losing authentication, a known issue with Cablevision to the point where the HDHR actually reboots itself when it detects the failure. But it happens maybe every few days so it's doable.

Thanks for all the info and input.

My echo has been quite stable for use as a PVR extender from my HTPC. You can get them for $130 when they are on sale. For me, that is worth it because to have a DVR with Charter it is a minimum of $30 per month and the cable card is $2 per month for two extensions and you don't get a unified DVR.

Charter with the Prime is very reliable but does need a reboot or even a CCV hit about every couple months for some reason. I'm a happy camper with the savings I get from this system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I guess it would be tough to replace in that case. There really isn't an analog to that on the web, especially with everything all in one place. I wish there was.

Comcast has an Xfinity website for subs with tons of VOD available, same thing is available on Xbox 360s and tablets. There's no need to rent a box except for the ease of use factor, which for wives can be rather high. biggrin.gif
post #33 of 35 Old 07-25-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Comcast has an Xfinity website for subs with tons of VOD available, same thing is available on Xbox 360s and tablets. There's no need to rent a box except for the ease of use factor, which for wives can be rather high. biggrin.gif
Cool. I need to check and see if my cable company has such a thing.
post #34 of 35 Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Yeah I use the Xfinity website to watch ESPN3--the quality is better than ESPN's own stream. The availability (# of episodes) last time I checked was not as good as the actual On Demand cable box service, but definitely better than the 5 episodes on Hulu free.

The ease of use is indeed the biggest problem however. It would be nice to have a remote controllable interface for it, but of course Comcast wouldn't make it (just get a cable box!).
post #35 of 35 Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Well, the Xbox 360 is remote controllable and also has ESPN (in addition to Xfinity), plus Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, HBOGo, Youtube etc. Of course you do have to pay the yearly $40-50 (discounted) fee for Live Gold to actually use any of these streams.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/LIVE/partners?xr=shellnav

(It's also a WMC extender btw, but you already knew that... wink.gif)
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page