Nvidia Card only Outputting 1080p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a new Geforce 610 card connected to a 32 inch display with a native resolution of 1366x768.

If I look in the available resolutions in Nvidia control panel, 1366x768 is there, but when selected, although the screen resolution visibly changes, my TV still reports a 1080p signal.

I can make a custom resolution with DTM (I think it was) timings and then my TV shows correctly 1366x768 as the input, but there is overscan.

How can it be the scaling seems right, yet the TV's info is wrong?

I have used test patterns and everything, there is a 1:1 ratio, yet the TV accepts 1080p?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Natalya Simonova: Do you destroy every vehicle you get into?
James Bond: Standard operating procedure. Boys with toys.
Goldeneye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-29-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
What is the source and the player used?

post #3 of 8 Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Check the scaling options in the Nvidia control panel under "Adjust desktop size and position."
post #4 of 8 Old 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

What is the source and the player used?

When I use MPC-HC with madVR as the render, madVR reports its outputting to 1366x768 and not 1080p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Check the scaling options in the Nvidia control panel under "Adjust desktop size and position."

These settings have no effect when using a custom resolution. I tried changing them with no result.

---

Just seems strange its outputting a 1080p signal but somehow still remains as 1366x768. Maybe its just the display not reporting it correctly. But It seems like the card is taking any resolution and scaling it to 1080p.

BUT

If i select 1080p(1920x1080) in the control panel, unlike 1080p (1366x768) I can see the image is outputted as 1080p and scaled down by the TV. If the TV is receiving a 1080p signal how does it know not to scale it?

Goldeneye
post #5 of 8 Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post

Just seems strange its outputting a 1080p signal but somehow still remains as 1366x768. Maybe its just the display not reporting it correctly. But It seems like the card is taking any resolution and scaling it to 1080p.
Are you sure that you have the scaling options correct? By default the card will perform all scaling on the GPU, and output whatever resolution your display is reporting as its "native" resolution. (often whichever is the highest it supports)
Make sure it's set to scale on the display and not the GPU.

Similarly, when you are creating a custom resolution, make sure that the "active pixels" values are set to the resolution you want to output.
If you just left the timings on "automatic" then it is probably set to render 1366x768 in a 1080p signal - this is because most displays will not accept 1366x768 over HDMI.
Quote:

If i select 1080p(1920x1080) in the control panel, unlike 1080p (1366x768) I can see the image is outputted as 1080p and scaled down by the TV. If the TV is receiving a 1080p signal how does it know not to scale it?
A lot of displays will disable overscan automatically when they receive a 1080i/p signal, but not with lower resolution signals. What TV are you using? Check the menus for an overscan or picture size setting.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think that's the problem here. I did what you recommend and managed to resize my custom resolution of 1366x768. However after resizing I found the image to look blurred, turns out re-sizing just cuts the image.

The tv is a cheap LG badged as a Toshiba. The model is Toshiba 32BV501B. It's not even listed on their website. Bear in mind I'm in the UK, so I'm guessing it's only sold here.

So the control panel thinks the native resolution is 1080i when I know it's 768p. I guess it's possible that they make it so not even the native resolution scales correctly? Maybe this is why the edid doesn't transmit it or something.

If that's the case, I'm glad nvidia are able to mask the resolution!

Sent from my Blade S using Tapatalk 2

Goldeneye
post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that's the problem here. I did what you recommend and managed to resize my custom resolution of 1366x768. However after resizing I found the image to look blurred, turns out re-sizing just cuts the image.
The tv is a cheap LG badged as a Toshiba. The model is Toshiba 32BV501B. It's not even listed on their website. Bear in mind I'm in the UK, so I'm guessing it's only sold here.
So the control panel thinks the native resolution is 1080i when I know it's 768p. I guess it's possible that they make it so not even the native resolution scales correctly? Maybe this is why the edid doesn't transmit it or something.
If that's the case, I'm glad nvidia are able to mask the resolution!
1366x768 is a weird resolution that televisions somehow ended up with. I suspect because it allows for 1024x768, the old "standard" PC resolution, to be displayed 1:1 and avoid problems when people try to connect up a laptop.
Officially HDMI only supports 720p and 1080p as far as HD resolutions are concerned - not 1366x768. Some newer displays do still accept their native resolution over HDMI, but most only support that over VGA.
And many devices only like resolutions which are divisible by 8; so you may have to send it a 1368x768 or - more commonly - a 1360x768 signal.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-01-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This is what I thought, seems although the panel resolution is 1366x768, they haven't made it possible to send that over HDMI correctly. The TV just doesn't accept the signal. (As you said instead designed just to cope with the common 720/1080/576/480 lines instead).

Well the best quality image I have found is when somehow the Nvidia control panel tricks the TV as displaying 1366x768p natively by sending a 1080p. I'd like to understand how that works, but I am grateful the feature is there. It would be horrible reading text scaled by the television.

Goldeneye
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page