Active Displayport adapter or second card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Disclaimer: This is not about my HTPC but I am trying to connect to an HDTV. smile.gif

Long story short... I bought a Radeon 6750 card so I can connect 3 separate displays(Eyefinity) to my computer. Later I learned that one of the connections has to be from the displayport in order to use Eyefinity. I just figured that I'd get a DP to HDMI adapter and be done with it. Later still I learned that I need an ACTIVE DP adapter in order to use Eyefinity. The active adapters average about $30. My board has a 4x Pci-e slot and I can put in a secondary card in it for the same $30.

So should I get the adapter or use a second card? Aren't the 6450s ~$30? Might be problems with a second card but not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 387
EyeFinity (that turns multiple displays into a single large desktop) does not work over multiple cards. All video outputs must come from a single GPU. If you are going to use 3 displays independently in extended desktop mode, you can use multiple GPUs.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

EyeFinity (that turns multiple displays into a single large desktop) does not work over multiple cards. All video outputs must come from a single GPU. If you are going to use 3 displays independently in extended desktop mode, you can use multiple GPUs.

Yes they are 3 independent displays... Primary monitor(27" 1920x1080), Secondary monitor(17" 1280x1024), and HDTV(39" 1920x1080)
post #4 of 11 Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

post #5 of 11 Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

I know but my understanding is you need an Eyefinity capable card to use more than 2 screens.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 02:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post

I know but my understanding is you need an Eyefinity capable card to use more than 2 screens.
That is absurd. Nvidia has cards that are capable of 3 display at once and you can bet they don't license eyefinity or other terms coined by Amd.

Either way you likely wont be gaming on this surround setup on more then one of those screens without a massive fps drop.
I suspect you just want it for productivity and media so it really don't matter if you buy a cheap card or active dp.

As others have said eyefinity is more then just using 3monitors but using them as one display with a crazy ultrawide resolution.

Another option would be to simply hook up all displays using your current cabling and have one of the 3 disabled at any given time and then swap to a different one when needed.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

NVIDIA Kepler supports 4 displays over HDMI/DVI (and 3 can be turned into one large display [mainly for gaming] + a display for another purpose). AMD's implementation is different. Radeon HD 5xxx/6xxx/7xxx has only two timing sources for two displays. So the supported configurations are

- HDMI/DVI + HDMI/DVI + 4 x DP
- HDMI/DVI + 5 x DP
- 6 x DP

(SAPPHIRE FleX cards and some AMD FM2 mb are exceptional.) Intel IVB is similar to AMD, it supports 3 displays, but the third one must be DP.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post

That is absurd. Nvidia has cards that are capable of 3 display at once and you can bet they don't license eyefinity or other terms coined by Amd.

Either way you likely wont be gaming on this surround setup on more then one of those screens without a massive fps drop.
I suspect you just want it for productivity and media so it really don't matter if you buy a cheap card or active dp.

As others have said eyefinity is more then just using 3monitors but using them as one display with a crazy ultrawide resolution.

Another option would be to simply hook up all displays using your current cabling and have one of the 3 disabled at any given time and then swap to a different one when needed.

I'm still at a lost of how to resolve this. I left it alone for a min while I rebuilt my living room HTPC.

Longer part of the story.... I had a well running AM2+/DDR2/785G all purpose unit running with a Radeon 4830. Since the board had built in 4250 video I had no problem using 3 independent screens with the 4830. For Christmas I decided to upgrade to AM3+/DDR3/USB3.0 but I didn't think to get a board with build in video. A clearanced 6750 fell into my lap and I thought that would be the answer to my problem. Still with the same problem.

I put the 4830 in the rebuilt HTPC but I'm thinking about using the 6750 in it instead for HD audio. When I get a free day I think I'm gonna run some benchmarks and see which is faster
post #9 of 11 Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

NVIDIA Kepler supports 4 displays over HDMI/DVI (and 3 can be turned into one large display [mainly for gaming] + a display for another purpose). AMD's implementation is different. Radeon HD 5xxx/6xxx/7xxx has only two timing sources for two displays. So the supported configurations are

- HDMI/DVI + HDMI/DVI + 4 x DP
- HDMI/DVI + 5 x DP
- 6 x DP

(SAPPHIRE FleX cards and some AMD FM2 mb are exceptional.) Intel IVB is similar to AMD, it supports 3 displays, but the third one must be DP.

This is definitely something they should fix in the 8000 series cards.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'd go with active adapters. I'm running 5 monitors off a single Radeon (I believe an HD6770) and it works fine.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #11 of 11 Old 08-04-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update that I solved my problem by buying a second 6750 for $40. I connected the monitors to the primary card and the HDTV to the secondary card. This way I can use the cards separately or combine them for crossfire for either the monitors or tv for gaming. Still might get an active adapter if I can run up on one for under $20.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page