Good main display monitor for gaming/workstation? Anyone used Monoprice 27" or 30" IPS ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 67 Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 676
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10909&cs_id=1090901&p_id=9579&seq=1&format=2&cl=res&utm_source=april_newsletter_18&utm_medium=email&utm_content=9579&utm_campaign=april_end_special_q2_2013

Anyone know if this is any good ???

I currently have a few Samsung Monitors (27") (26") (23")

I am looking to upgrade my main one, as I need another for something else and I will take the older one for it since it's not critical.

I'd like a nice high end display but I'd like to stay under $1000

This looked to be a good deal. I just don't know much about current displays.

Advice?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
These monitors use the Korean A- IPS panels rejected by the likes of Apple and Dell (they use A+ panels). There are even cheaper ones which can be found on eBay. Some popular brands that come to mind are Crossover, Yamakasi Catleap, Qnix (PLS), Achieva Shimian and a few others. One of the caveats of their low prices are dead pixels. If you don't buy the pixel perfect versions, there might be a few dead pixels in your monitor. While the picture quality is usually very good on these A- panels, they often suffer from light bleed and horrible blacks. If your budget is $1000, I would much rather get something from the Dell UltraSharp line.
post #3 of 67 Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

hmmm... ok

Thanks !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 67 Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 PM

Liked: 17
I somewhat disagree with amarshon's assessment. Blacks are not quite as good, as in just slightly below the name brand displays, not horrible. You do run a higher then average risk of having dead/stuck pixels, but that is not a given either. Many many people (including myself) have these panels with no dead pixels. Light bleed varies from brand to brand and panel to panel with these...generally not quite as good as the $1k panels, but no worse then say your run of the mill cheaper Dell, LG, etc 24 inchers for example. I guess all and all he makes them just sound like all around POS monitors, which they are not. I have had a Shimian for about a year now...perfectly uniform picture, no dead/stuck pixels...light bleed just ever so slightly more noticeable then 27" iMac I had....no complaints at all in those aspects. Only real detraction on mine was color temp is on the blue/cool side out of the box, but that was quickly gone after putting the meter on the panel and creating a calibrated profile for it. At < $300 this thing was a steal all said and done!

Now....that said...I would not get one of these high res panels of ANY brand if you want to do any significant gaming unless you have a lot of money to blow on vid cards. There are just too many pixels to drive for good cost effective performance. Even the current $1k flagship cards will not handle all games with everything turned up, nevermind mainstream cards. The top end of the mainstream cards at around $350-$400 will play most games, but your still turning down a fair amount settings to do so. I'd def stick to lower res if gaming will be a significant function for you.
post #5 of 67 Old 05-02-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post

I somewhat disagree with amarshon's assessment. Blacks are not quite as good, as in just slightly below the name brand displays, not horrible. You do run a higher then average risk of having dead/stuck pixels, but that is not a given either. Many many people (including myself) have these panels with no dead pixels. Light bleed varies from brand to brand and panel to panel with these...generally not quite as good as the $1k panels, but no worse then say your run of the mill cheaper Dell, LG, etc 24 inchers for example. I guess all and all he makes them just sound like all around POS monitors, which they are not. I have had a Shimian for about a year now...perfectly uniform picture, no dead/stuck pixels...light bleed just ever so slightly more noticeable then 27" iMac I had....no complaints at all in those aspects. Only real detraction on mine was color temp is on the blue/cool side out of the box, but that was quickly gone after putting the meter on the panel and creating a calibrated profile for it. At < $300 this thing was a steal all said and done!

Now....that said...I would not get one of these high res panels of ANY brand if you want to do any significant gaming unless you have a lot of money to blow on vid cards. There are just too many pixels to drive for good cost effective performance. Even the current $1k flagship cards will not handle all games with everything turned up, nevermind mainstream cards. The top end of the mainstream cards at around $350-$400 will play most games, but your still turning down a fair amount settings to do so. I'd def stick to lower res if gaming will be a significant function for you.

I did make them sound like a PoS didn't I...

I did come off a bit too aggressive I guess. C17 is correct, they aren't nearly as bad as I made them sound like they are.
post #6 of 67 Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not concerned with the video cards. I know I'll keep my monitor longer than my video card.

I don't build crap systems and if my pc now can't run that full resolution on max my next one would smile.gif

I don't mind a stuck pixel as much as lower PQ, reliability or other aspects ....

-

post #7 of 67 Old 05-02-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 116
You'll "need" something to profile them with since AFAIK these "off brand" monitors don't have any picture controls beyond brightness (backlight). And remember that video players (generally) aren't color managed.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #8 of 67 Old 05-03-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

this is mostly just for normal PC use and gaming... it's not critical viewing

-

post #9 of 67 Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

You'll "need" something to profile them with since AFAIK these "off brand" monitors don't have any picture controls beyond brightness (backlight). And remember that video players (generally) aren't color managed.

Definently!

As long as pixels, uniformity, and light bleed is acceptable on those panels, the rest is gravy. To be fair, even though you only have brightness control on the monitor, you still can use the full assortment of sliders at the driver level to achieve same thing, no meter needed for that. That said, it is kind of a waste to get a nice high res IPS display only to eyeball in the settings. Take some of that money you saved vs the much more expensive mainstream brand versions and invest in a nice colorimeter such as an i1display pro. Not only will you likely end up with a more accurate picture for less money going with one of these Korean monitors + meter vs several hundred more for Dell/HP/etc version and using it out of the box with no meter...you can do up all the rest of your displays with your new meter, even your TV's if you get one that is compatible with the typical HDTV calibration software packages out there.
Nethawk likes this.
post #10 of 67 Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not that critical

-

post #11 of 67 Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 PM

Chances are you will still notice the cool/blue bias that a lot of these have, even not being critical....but again easily taken care of with quick adjustment with the sliders at the video driver level.
post #12 of 67 Old 05-10-2013, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

So what's a good high end high value large sized monitor

-

post #13 of 67 Old 05-10-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I vote for one of the korean monitors. They are amazing for the price. I got my shimean for about $325. No stuck pixels. Once I went 1440p its hard to use anything else. Thanks I had no idea monoprice was selling them.
post #14 of 67 Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 116
If I was getting a monitor today I'd seriously consider the Monoprice ones, with the plan of profiling them with my i1 Display LT or Spyder 3 (or get an i1 Pro), though my 24" Dell ultrasharps are pretty nice.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #15 of 67 Old 05-10-2013, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
NewEgg is having an IPS monitor sale right now so take a look there and see if there's anything that tickles your pickle. If you were to ask me, I'd steer you towards LG's latest.
post #16 of 67 Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
I can't use a TN display, so I was very happy when a reasonably affordable IPS monitor came out from HP. I'm very pleased with the HP ZR24w. They now have a 27" and a more budget-friendly 23"

post #17 of 67 Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I am definitely looking for large screen. 27" minimum.

I'd like more than 1200p too.

-

post #18 of 67 Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What is considered a high quality monitor these days ?

-

post #19 of 67 Old 05-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Nixeus WQHD 27" S-IPS Ultra High Resolution 2560x1440 was $400 but right now higher on the big A. There is also that microcenter AURIA 27" if you have a store near you, so you can check for dead pixels before you buy

I was intrigued by those new 21:9 29" ultra wide screen monitors, but they all seem so small, there only 1080p and not even 120hz.

Here is a youtube video example of what gaming looks like on them, skip ahead.

Also I keep reading about how great the light boost experience is for gaming. Lightboost "LightBoost monitors have a stroboscopic backlight feature that completely eliminate motion blur for 2D; for CRT-quality perfectly sharp fast motion on LCD."

Edit: and on the frames per second the new leader is the ASUS VG278HE it does 144hz. Read about it here.

Or you could just get 3 1080p lcd tv's and call it a day smile.gif

Or a cheap $500 bulb projector
post #20 of 67 Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 AM

I saw a thread on slickdeals for the Dell 27" IPS for $599. Not a bad price there if you don't want to mess with the Koreans....which again, I would go for a Korean one myself (and did). As far as getting one of those Korean monitors closer to home goes....besides monoprice, if you have a Microcenter nearby, they carry an Auria branded one for $399. It's about $100 more then getting a DVI-D only Shimian, Catleap, etc direct from Korea via ebay, but is local with at least some resemblance of a useable warranty. Those Aurias are multi-input instead of just DVI-D too, so if you actually wanted further connectivity then just DVI, they are actually a good buy as it is right in line with the current prices on ebay for the multi-input Koreans.

I still say those are the best bang for the buck...but if you don't want to chance any of that....IPS is def the way to go these days. They are def worth the jump in price vs the cheap TN panels. Outside of those Korean 27" screens, 22 to 24" 1080p is typically where the best bang for the buck usually resides. Usually not hard to find a good price on IPS monitors in that size range. There are many to choose from as well, so if you have a particular brand or model preference, it usually just takes a little patience to wait for it's turn to show up on sale at a good price somewhere.
post #21 of 67 Old 06-27-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
OK Mfusick, what did you end up with?

The cheaper 30 DVI-DL only model has an appeal to replace my old 24" Dell that is starting to flake out (control buttons sticking), but I'm thinking the extra $ for a Dell 30" may be worth it. Desktop, light gaming, and youtube-type video use. All serious video watching is on the projector. I'll be driving from an HD 7870.
post #22 of 67 Old 06-27-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you have a local Micro Center try the Auria EQ276W. The first Auria Micro Center sent me had very bad backlight bleed.Micro Center exchanged the first monitor for a new one which has no apparent pixel or backlight problems. My $400 Auria is connected to a Sapphire 7770 Vapor-X by DisplayPort and I am getting the full 2560x1440 resolution. If you are not satisfied I believe you can get a refund within 30 days if purchase. Use the settings you will find on Tomshardware.com and then calibrate with Windows 7. Just click the Windows start button and type in calibrate and follow the instructions.
post #23 of 67 Old 06-27-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I own a U3011, U2711 and the microcenter monitor and have used some of the other korean econ models at other people's desks, so I feel fairly qualified to comment on quality etc.

Unless you have a specific (work) need for color accuracy (we are all pre-press color checkers, right?) then:

Run, do not walk and buy the cheaper ones. Hell, buy two, it still might be cheaper!

Most people I've run into shopping for better monitors just want to get out of the TN-hellhole and have more pixels. For that kind of buyer (common from my experience) these do not disappoint, its a major step up from the typical TN screen and nearly double the pixels.

Nearly dead silent HTPC ver 2.0: i3-4340 w/ Noctua NH-L9i on Z87E-itx inside CM130 elite, fanless PSU, SSD OS drive
SAN shares via 40GbE tunneled over 56Gb infiniband links
microcenter & ebay = severe risks to my wallet
post #24 of 67 Old 08-08-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

OK Mfusick, what did you end up with?

The cheaper 30 DVI-DL only model has an appeal to replace my old 24" Dell that is starting to flake out (control buttons sticking), but I'm thinking the extra $ for a Dell 30" may be worth it. Desktop, light gaming, and youtube-type video use. All serious video watching is on the projector. I'll be driving from an HD 7870.

I am still using my 26" Samsung and 23" Samsungs.

I'm saving cash for my theater build and home remodel so budget is tight. I don't really need one. But I WANT ONE !~

I am just on a spending freeze until this remodel thing gets sorted out. I keep seeing those IPS 30" and 27" go on sale at MONOPRICE.

-

post #25 of 67 Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I've been seeing some 27" 2560 monitors for $299 recently.... Tempting ...

-

post #26 of 67 Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I've been seeing some 27" 2560 monitors for $299 recently.... Tempting ...

Yeah you can buy the direct "Asian" panels (Korea/Taiwan/China) for a lot cheaper than the brand names. A lot of times they might be limited in features, not as good dead pixel replacement plans, usually don't have input options like DisplayPort or HDMI (Only DVI most of the time) etc, but their prices are VERY good. A lot of people have had success going direct without the re-branding but there is a small risk.
post #27 of 67 Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The alternatives appear to be over $1000...

-

post #28 of 67 Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The alternatives appear to be over $1000...

If you look at brands like Samsung, Dell, HP, etc they are usually $600 - $850 (On 27" monitors which are 2560 x 1440) but the non-brand ones are $350-450

There are some exceptions of course, like Asus @ $550, which is still a good deal
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

I was looking into the same kind of thing the other week but decided in the end I really didn't need it. Don't use my PC as much as I used to anymore. I'd rather put the money to a new sub or something
post #29 of 67 Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I think I either want something like $300 (27") or I would just step up to 30" size. I have a 26" now that I have had a long time, I paid $800 for it. I would keep it as a second monitor. It's only 1920x1200p though.

I want something that would be bigger, and higher resolution. I am afraid with a 27" and 2560 pixels the text and stuff would get smaller. Thoughts ? I am looking for bigger, not just better. I see $199 ASUS 27" all the time.

WOndering if I can get one of those and skip the higher end IPS ?? Thoughts?

-

post #30 of 67 Old 09-30-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I either want something like $300 (27") or I would just step up to 30" size. I have a 26" now that I have had a long time, I paid $800 for it. I would keep it as a second monitor. It's only 1920x1200p though.

I want something that would be bigger, and higher resolution. I am afraid with a 27" and 2560 pixels the text and stuff would get smaller. Thoughts ? I am looking for bigger, not just better. I see $199 ASUS 27" all the time.

WOndering if I can get one of those and skip the higher end IPS ?? Thoughts?

It's the size plus the resolution. Yes you can get a 27" monitor for cheaper, but the real upgrade is the resolution. (Which is really what you are paying for, the panel) Higher resolution = more screen real estate. A 200" 1080P screen shows just as much as a 20" 1080P monitor. As the resolution increases, yes, things like icons and text get smaller, given the same screen size. So usually resolution scales with size. With monitors, most 24" monitors are plenty big, given how far they are from your face. You could easily use 3 24" monitors with small bezels and use NVidia surround or ATI Eyefinity to make a custom resolution of 5760 x 1200, since you would have 3x 1920 x 1200 screens, and utilizing the resolution on all 3 monitors. This will get you even more real estate but if you use them together, such as in games, the side monitors are mostly peripheral vision, and you are never really looking AT them, you mostly notice movement and such on them. In a workspace, the extra space is much more useful, since you can have up a document on one screen, a web page on another, and a utility on a 3rd, all full screen, so you can work and read without having to tab back and forth. Makes following instructions or multi-tasking a lot easier. But if you have a single 27-30" monitor, running at a higher resolution, such as a 1440P Monitor, then you get a larger screen with more actual workspace right in front of you, where you can see it. This would be a much bigger impact for something like gaming than side monitors to me, since you would be directly staring at the screen in front of you. For games with a HUD, this makes a big difference since the HUD portions take up less total space (Due to the higher resolution) and your background visual would take up more. Thus you "see more". This really bugs me when I've tried to hook up my PC to my projection screen, because I'm actually LOSING space in a 1080P format vs a 1920x1200 format. Even though the projected image is larger, the viewable content is smaller. So a 4K Screen/Projector will be a HUGE boon to gaming.

Anyway, I wouldn't even bother upgrading the size of my monitor(s) from 24" (I have 3) to 27"+ unless the resolution was upgraded too.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page