Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hey all...
I have an HP Proliant N40L, headless, with WHS 2011 installed, acting as a server/NAS.
My first iteration was flawless. It was fairly speedy, even for the small cpu. Everything worked fine, and I was starting to add drives, while learning about my new project.
It soon developed bad sectors on the OS HDD, (250 gig Seagate) HP quickly stood behind the drive, no questions asked, were fast and polite while dealing with them. I can't say enough about their Customer Service. (There are quite a few companies that could learn a few things from them.)
I set everything up the second time, added my drives and shares. Moved my server folders to the correct drives, and started fresh. I soon found that it was sluggish, and unresponsive.
Task Manager revealed that wmplayer.exe, and wmpsrv.exe were eating up resources. After ending the process', they would start climbing back up the tree, starting themselves. A few searches led me to a couple Microsoft help threads, where the solution was to disable the media streaming service. This is not acceptable to me, as part of why I set everything up this way was to utilize the media streaming capabilities of WHS. (Music, Photos, and Home Movies are all stored on the server.) I have Plex installed, as well as streaming from windows PC's via Windows Media Player. (lossless .wma rips)
I ran like this for a while, trying different things. and was not comfortable with the CPU running at 90 and 100 percent, most of the time...and decided, that when time permits, i would re-load WHS. (again)
Well, I was able to do this on Sunday, and have been getting all my programs re-loaded, and set up. Last night, I re-installed my drives, and set up my shares. I immediately noticed the slow down, checked Task Manager, and sure enough, same issue.
To make matters worse, I lost my DLNA share with my Onkyo 818 Receiver. (I won't go in to my fight with Onkyo, leading them to replace my problem-plagued 807, with the 818...which has been a God-send, and rock solid in my connectivity woes.)
I am at my wits end, and could use any help any might give. I usually find that the members here, if they can not offer me the exact solution, I usually end up on the right path, leading me to the correct outcome.
As always, it is much appreciated.
Thanks guys,

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm confused. If you have Plex why do you need windows media streaming? Anything not covered by that you should be able to stream over regular smb network shares.

post #3 of 14 Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I have thought about that as well...not entirely sure how PLEX works. I am assuming that the share setting is allowing PLEX to play too...When it is off, my 818 will not play the PLEX media either.
I'm not fully vested, or versed in PLEX, yet either. My Samsung SMART TV plays off the windows share, but is buggy in PLEX.
It's kind of a poor man's Whole house audio, and is very easy to just open WMP (or controlling app) on the various windows machines, phones, tablets, laptops, TV...etc....
Also not sure if I stop the service, what will become of my ability to stream via my.homeserver.com domain...

post #4 of 14 Old 05-03-2013, 02:26 AM

I don't personally have whs2011 but on my w7 and 8 machines. When that sharing service is disabled plex dlna server still works fine.
Plex should allow you to stream to phones tablets or other dlna devices.

You mentioned having an Onkyo 818 I assume you mean the TX-NR818 correct? That model supports windows network shares as well but only on the latest firmware ending in 400 and presumably any made after it. The option you are looking for is labeled Home Media on the net apps.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, yes...that's the receiver. The "Home Media" interface is inoperative when the media streaming feature is turned off...Prior to this, I was using the "DLNA" app, on the row above...(in your photo)

post #6 of 14 Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any other thoughts or observations? I really can't have this thing pegging the cpu day and night...

post #7 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Shameless bump?

post #8 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 08:25 AM

A buddy is loaning me his copy of whs2011 that isn't currently installed on any of his machines I'll get back to you once it's installed later today.
Hopefully I can replicate the problem in a vm.

To be clear I don't expect to replicate the problem with media services capping out my cpu as even if I underclocked this machine and only allow 2 out of 4 cores to the vm it would likely still be much faster then what is in your server. But I am hoping to replicate the problem with the network shares not working on my tx-nr515 which should be close enough to your 818

post #9 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the assist, but the network shares work fine, if I enable them. It is only when I enable them, that I get the resource hogging of my CPU...

post #10 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM

One thing I didn't consider is did you you check to see if the cpu is overheating and possibly downthrottling to prevent frying itself.
If it was doing that it would give the appearance of choking up all of the cpu when whatever it was using before was just fine.

post #11 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Yeah, I have thought about that as well...not entirely sure how PLEX works. I am assuming that the share setting is allowing PLEX to play too...When it is off, my 818 will not play the PLEX media either.
I'm not fully vested, or versed in PLEX, yet either. My Samsung SMART TV plays off the windows share, but is buggy in PLEX.
It's kind of a poor man's Whole house audio, and is very easy to just open WMP (or controlling app) on the various windows machines, phones, tablets, laptops, TV...etc....
Also not sure if I stop the service, what will become of my ability to stream via my.homeserver.com domain...

Alright, some stuff to note
  • Plex, nor local "sharing", relies on the media streaming settings
  • Plex installation makes use of Flash and Silverlight to deliver video to browsers and clients (also combines them into your installation if not already installed)
  • I don't *believe* that disabling the media streaming settings in WHS will prevent silverlight from working (not sure, but it shouldn't)
  • WHS media streaming uses silverlight
  • The only place you'd notice that "Media Streaming" was off is your.homeserver.com domain
  • If you turned off media streaming, the only place you *should* be affecting is the homeserver streaming portion
  • In my experience, Plex is a much better place to host content than the homeserver domain

Secondly, (or whatever number we're up to) the AMD Turion II is below the mark for multiple transcoded streams
  • silverlight streaming on the homeserver domain is pretty intensive, so if a lot of people are tapping into that you'll regularly see full utilization
  • more than one plex transcode at a time might be too much for that processor
  • The resource hogging services you mentioned could go away if you could make use of everything through plex
  • Several users accessing pictures and music through plex should be fine, but the number of transcoded video streams you attempt to deliver (at once) can set you back
  • Also, for your plex media manager, the library update can peg you for 15-20% utilization during a scan (not good if you weren't expecting it) but there is no easy way to schedule it to occur daily at 2 or 3 am. The automatic "detection" uses quite a bit of resources to "watch" your folders in my opinion, so for now I just manually refresh
  • It's not high on my list, but at some point I'll probably make a batch file to update the library at a specific time. There are some command options available

What CPU did you have in your first WHS?
post #12 of 14 Old 05-07-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great! I knew we'd start getting to the meat of it...Thanks for the help guys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post

One thing I didn't consider is did you you check to see if the cpu is overheating and possibly downthrottling to prevent frying itself.
If it was doing that it would give the appearance of choking up all of the cpu when whatever it was using before was just fine.

How would I know this is happening?
I am viewing task manager, and filtering by cpu usage, and seeing the media streaming admin in the description running in the top 3 in usage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Alright, some stuff to note
  • Plex, nor local "sharing", relies on the media streaming settings
  • Plex installation makes use of Flash and Silverlight to deliver video to browsers and clients (also combines them into your installation if not already installed)
  • I don't *believe* that disabling the media streaming settings in WHS will prevent silverlight from working (not sure, but it shouldn't)
  • WHS media streaming uses silverlight
  • The only place you'd notice that "Media Streaming" was off is your.homeserver.com domain
  • If you turned off media streaming, the only place you *should* be affecting is the homeserver streaming portion
  • In my experience, Plex is a much better place to host content than the homeserver domain

Secondly, (or whatever number we're up to) the AMD Turion II is below the mark for multiple transcoded streams
  • silverlight streaming on the homeserver domain is pretty intensive, so if a lot of people are tapping into that you'll regularly see full utilization
  • more than one plex transcode at a time might be too much for that processor
  • The resource hogging services you mentioned could go away if you could make use of everything through plex
  • Several users accessing pictures and music through plex should be fine, but the number of transcoded video streams you attempt to deliver (at once) can set you back
  • Also, for your plex media manager, the library update can peg you for 15-20% utilization during a scan (not good if you weren't expecting it) but there is no easy way to schedule it to occur daily at 2 or 3 am. The automatic "detection" uses quite a bit of resources to "watch" your folders in my opinion, so for now I just manually refresh
  • It's not high on my list, but at some point I'll probably make a batch file to update the library at a specific time. There are some command options available

What CPU did you have in your first WHS?

I am good using PLEX for hosting, but would like my server operating as it should...
Minimal usage, at this time. I would eventually, like for my folks to be able to log in and download the kids' pictures and movies at home...(5 states away)
Right now, and after the last install, no one doing anything with the server, and shares, but me...
No video streaming, other than my attempt at some .mkv's (first, second, and now third install)
This is simply the server sitting at idle...nothing else is going on, serving, hosting, streaming, downloading, transcoding....nothing. Just the Microserver running, with WHS in place.
This is the only Server I have owned...by "first iteration", I meant that the first time I used it...(set it up exactly the same...installed WHS from a usb drive...the whole bit...) I was happy, everything worked like a charm...then sectors started dropping in my OS HDD, which forced a replacement and a re-install....

post #13 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

Great! I knew we'd start getting to the meat of it...Thanks for the help guys...
How would I know this is happening?
I am viewing task manager, and filtering by cpu usage, and seeing the media streaming admin in the description running in the top 3 in usage...

Download and install Core temp, real temp or speedfan AND Cpu-z
The max cpu core temp should not exceed 95c according to cpu-world. If you happen to be within 10 degrees of the max you probably have a heat problem.

To confirm it load up cpu-z and verify the cpu speed is not lower then max.
Keep in mind many processors will throttle themselves while idle but go back to normal with any significant activity.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-08-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I'll try that...

But, if that were the issue...wouldn't it still choke even if I disable the processes in Task Manager?
In this case, I disable these processes...(like 5 in all...) and the CPU drops to it's normal 1-2 %.
After a few hours, all the processes (Media Streaming admin/ wmpntwk.exe) steadily come back on, and load the CPU again...
These little boxes are pretty well known for staying cool.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page