AVS Forum banner

Built my HTPC now what should I do with my other equipment

718 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  stamina1914 
#1 ·
My first and only Bluray player is the Pioneer BDP-05. It's built like a mule, loads as fast as a mule too, but runs like a race horse. The bottome line is however with me having my HTPC and ripping all my movies using MKV and loading them onto my HD I simple no longer use it. Moreover, the blu ray player in my HTPC is a Pioneer and while I have not purchased the software, I could use my HTPC as a bluray player too. I have already gotten rid of my cable box, should I sell my blu ray player now?

Some of reasons for me leaning to yes, are if the the new XBOX comes with a bluray player or eventually Pioneer will stop doing firmware updates. So in about who knows how many years, it will be obsolete.

Reasons to keep it, it will make one bad CD player. Any thoughts or advice? BTW for those who ripped there Blu Ray Movies, did you sell your movies afterwords. Or do you keep them just incase.

Thanks

#5 ·
Dude, I used to have the Pio BDP 05 - Awesome player, great sounding too when used as a dedicated CD player! I wouldn't scrap it just yet......for one, its good to have a backup just in case something happens to your HTPC.

Pio is still providing firmware updates and its been like 5 yrs since that player came out too.....

Toys

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamina1914  /t/1471063/built-my-htpc-now-what-should-i-do-with-my-other-equipment#post_23274209

So what is cinavia, and how will interfere with my home theatre experience.

Simply put its a piece of software which detects if you are playing a original physical BD and if it thinks you are not it will cut out audio in about 20 mins of playback.

I have HDCP compliant video card connected to an HDCP compliant AVR which in turn is connected to an HDCP compliant TV but I have too many LEGAL BD fail to play via HTCP.

Currently the only consistent & reliable way I have found to playback LEGAL store bought BD and LEGALLY rented BD is by running AnyDVD in the background. It runs in the background and allows your software BD player (TMT5/6, PDVD, WinDVD or MPC-HC) to play your LEGAL BD without any HDCP errors.

There are some folks who swear that they have not experience any HDCP errors when playing LEGALLY bought/rented BD, but I have not had such luck. For me I have to run quasi-illegal AnyDVD to play back LEGAL BDs. That's the price I have to pay for BD playback on HTPC.

Off course in your quest to play LEGAL BD you will also find that AnyDVD prevents Cinavia from detecting if you have a physical BD or an ISO and allows you to playback ISO BD without cutting out the audio.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungee  /t/1471063/built-my-htpc-now-what-should-i-do-with-my-other-equipment#post_23274634

Simply put its a piece of software which detects if you are playing a original physical BD and if it thinks you are not it will cut out audio in about 20 mins of playback.

I have HDCP compliant video card connected to an HDCP compliant AVR which in turn is connected to an HDCP compliant TV but I have too many LEGAL BD fail to play via HTCP.

Currently the only consistent & reliable way I have found to playback LEGAL store bought BD and LEGALLY rented BD is by running AnyDVD in the background. It runs in the background and allows your software BD player (TMT5/6, PDVD, WinDVD or MPC-HC) to play your LEGAL BD without any HDCP errors.

There are some folks who swear that they have not experience any HDCP errors when playing LEGALLY bought/rented BD, but I have not had such luck. For me I have to run quasi-illegal AnyDVD to play back LEGAL BDs. That's the price I have to pay for BD playback on HTPC.

Off course in your quest to play LEGAL BD you will also find that AnyDVD prevents Cinavia from detecting if you have a physical BD or an ISO and allows you to playback ISO BD without cutting out the audio.

Fisrt off what does hdcp mean, secondly, if I understand clearly, it is bad enough that you simply cannot buy a bluray drive and play a movie on it out of the box without purchasing an additional software, but now there is a new defective software out that could make my expereience worst even though all my blu rays are legit?

Btw as a poster mentioned earlier, the blu ray in my htpc will not produce 24fps, so the picture quality will not be as good as my bdp 05, why is this?

#10 ·
No let me not discourage you. My BD playback works flawless but its not "cheap" or "easy".

Cinavia is software embedded in the software based BD players that will automatically know if you are playing a physical BD or a ISO image (google it). Theoretically if you have HDCP compliant video card + AVR + TV all of us would be buying or renting legal BD and playing them back with no HDCP issues. But BD makers have made everyone's lives miserable.

To play legit BD you will still need to run a software based BD player like TMT6/PowerDVD/WinDVD, but to get around all the HDCP handshake issues you will need to run AnyDVD HD in the background. What AnyDVD HD does is that it decrypts your legal BD (which is illegal) so that it will play without a hitch in your system. And it also solves the Cinavia issue if you plan to "back up" to ISO and playback from a file rather than a physical disk.

The first problem is solve is HDCP, that way you can get your physical disks working. CInavia will NOT be an issue if all you are doing is playing legal BD disks instead of ISO files.

So its not cheap nor is it easy, but once you get it working you will be very happy with the results. The cheap part cannot be solved hopefully the easy part is solved by reading forums like AVS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.