Media center playback problems. Can someone please help ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 05-04-2013, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone

I built a new htpc using the assassins guides. Everything went together great. But I am running into a issue which I can not seem to fix and hoping another forum member has a solution.

My system consist of.....

I3 processor
Asrock h77 board
8gb of ram
Samsung 120gb SSD
2 Seagate 4tb drives
Nvidia GT 430 video card

Now the problem is that the movie will load up and play when I play the movie in media browser. After the movie plays for a few minutes or if I try to skip around in the movie, the movie will freeze up on me and I will have to close out of media center and restart. I have tested the disk and it plays fine. All 4 of the rips I have done has resulted in this horrible playback. I used total media theater for years without a problem. I love media browser and the new way I am doing this but it is very frustrating when trying to watch a movie and not be able to watch the entire movie

I can not figure out the problem. I do not know if it is a driver problem with my nvidia card. I downloaded the drivers from their website. Not sure if the new drivers aren't stable as they are a different set then I had on my old machine. Image is clear as ever just mkv playback is freezing up

Also didn't know if it was the codec set. I wouldn't think it was the lag filters since the movie will start up and play

Please if anyone can help me figure this out it would be great as I am stuck on this before I can finish setting everything up

Thanks for any and all help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 AM

Liked: 11
What are you using for the player within Media Browser?

I would suggest using an external player such as MPC-HC. This is what I am currently running, and have been happy with it. There is an excellent setup guide here. Use the 32-bit version of all software in the guide.

Edit to add:
When you have MPC-HC installed, run the Media Browser Configurator, click "Advanced", go to the external players tab, add MPC-HC from the pull-down, then click on the "Configure my player" link at the bottom of the window.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-04-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
+1

post #4 of 22 Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I'd have Assassin help since you bought his guide. Going through the guide should leave you with a working HTPC. If not then try again or something is out of date in the guide due to an updated component.

Why do you have the Nvidia card installed anyway? Are you planning on using LAV filters for playback? The i3 GPU should be plenty. I'd remove the extra graphics card and see if your problem goes away.

The most simple approach is just to install drivers, Shark007 codecs, and Media Browser.

post #5 of 22 Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I'd have Assassin help since you bought his guide. Going through the guide should leave you with a working HTPC. If not then try again or something is out of date in the guide due to an updated component.

Why do you have the Nvidia card installed anyway? Are you planning on using LAV filters for playback? The i3 GPU should be plenty. I'd remove the extra graphics card and see if your problem goes away.

The most simple approach is just to install drivers, Shark007 codecs, and Media Browser.

Yeah I followed the guide to a tee. I've built a few htpc's before just never the media browser route. I've always used anydvd hd and Tmt for playback. Never had a problem. I didn't use the i3 for graphics because I could not find the drivers for it. The link in the assassin guide shows a link but no where to download. So I could not install the i3 graphics drivers. So I had my old nvidia card which bitstreams too. It works great. I think it is a newer set of drivers so it could cause the problem. I wanted to go the assassin route and simple route like suggested. Just want a smooth playback like I have been used to. I've also been told I need external players. I've contacted assassin about it just haven't heard back.

Just want to get it fixed by this weekend so I can continue on with the guides and set other stuff up on the htpc
post #6 of 22 Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248
post #7 of 22 Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

You can get the latest Intel drivers from here
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

After you download the graphics make sure you go back in the Bios and then select to use the I3's onboard graphics.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-04-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

You can get the latest Intel drivers from here
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

I will try that tonight. Do I just use the auto scan option on that page to find the up to date graphics driver ?

Is the shark 007 pack better and more stable then using lab filters ?
post #9 of 22 Old 05-04-2013, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

hey all

tried taking out the nvidia card tonight. updated the intel graphics. i still get freezing. cpu usage is only 3%. could it be the 4tb seagate hard drive. i would not think so. everything is perfect on this unit but this problem. i have looked everywhere tonight online to find a solution. maybe assassin will chime in also. total media theater never gave me a issue once
post #10 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

What codecs are you using?

post #11 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What codecs are you using?

I'm using Lav Filters ver. 0.56

Does it seem like a codec problem ? It ill play fine then it freezes. If I skip ahead it will play fine again. CPU usage is only 3%. Only issue I have with the build.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Make sure the LAV hardware video decoder is disabled and then check again. If you CPU usage is only 3% your GPU usage may be 100%.

post #13 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Have you registered LAV in your system?

post #14 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Make sure the LAV hardware video decoder is disabled and then check again. If you CPU usage is only 3% your GPU usage may be 100%.

I will check that setting under Lav hardware. Ya it runs between 3% and 8% during playback. 3gb of memory use
post #15 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Have you registered LAV in your system?

No I have not. I just installed it from assassins link and followed his guide to set it up. The sound and picture is crystal clear, actually seems better than my old nvidia gtx430. Just freezes up. Does it sound like a Lav filter or codec problem ?
post #16 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

My guess is you are trying to use an incorrect hardware decoding profile for your graphics card.

For Intel GPU I'd start with NONE in the upper right drop-down.

post #17 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My guess is you are trying to use an incorrect hardware decoding profile for your graphics card.

For Intel GPU I'd start with NONE in the upper right drop-down.

Hey

I checked my settings with the one you included on your screen shot. The only option I didn't have that you have is " use stream ratio ". Everything else was the same and I have none in the decoder in the top right corner.

I tried a few movies and I thought I was all set then 17:31 into the first movie it froze again. I don't know how to check if the GPU is peaking out as the CPU is steady at 8% during playback.

Any more ideas it might be ?
post #18 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

GPU-Z can show you gpu usage. Are these movies saved onto the hard drive?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

post #19 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

How about uninstalling your Lav filters and codecs and just installing Shark007 (both the x86 and x64 packs). Just use the Recommended Setting checkbox and see if that allows you to play correctly. If that works then you can move on from there.

I assume Assassin has Shark007 in his guide.

If you unzip the shark007 exe downloaded files you can run the codec installer without the "optional" toolbars and other widgets.

post #20 of 22 Old 05-05-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How about uninstalling your Lav filters and codecs and just installing Shark007 (both the x86 and x64 packs). Just use the Recommended Setting checkbox and see if that allows you to play correctly. If that works then you can move on from there.

I assume Assassin has Shark007 in his guide.

If you unzip the shark007 exe downloaded files you can run the codec installer without the "optional" toolbars and other widgets.

Hey boss

Well I uninstalled the Lav filters and installed the shark 007 pack. Followed assassins guide for setup. Everything was working great the. It froze again. When it freezes the time on the movie still changes like it is still playing but acts like I hit pause. Starting to wonder what else it could be
post #21 of 22 Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone think it might be my 4tb seagate drives ? I haven't read of a problem with them for media storage. I play mkvs on my laptop and wdtv without 1 issue. My old setup was a old dual core and 4gb ram. It was much slower. I just don't see how it can play for 20 minutes then freeze up. Acts like I pressed pause. But the timer on the movie still moves. If I leave it alone it will play real fast to try to catch up.

I would just install total media theater and lose the codec packs and use my nvidia card that does bit streaming also. I know Tmt plays mkv now. Just would love the simple approach of just using the windows media player.

The CPU only peaks at 8% if the graphics are taking the load and causing the issue why would it be rather than have the CPU some of the work. Just never had a issue of playback in all my years of building htpc's.
post #22 of 22 Old 05-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Liked: 11
Did you ever test another player? If not, just try playing one of the mkv's in MPC-HC or VLC completely outside of WMC and Media Browser and see if it freezes.
If it doesn't freeze, then it rules out the hdd as a potential issue.

I don't use LAV or Shark007 or any other 3rd party splitters/codecs and files play fine (only have 2.1 speaker setup). Try MPC-HC stock install, if there's no playback issues, then try setting it up to use LAV and see if it still plays fine. If you have success with any of these, then that can point you in the right direction.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page