Intel NUC Hdmi audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently bought a Intel NUC DC3217IYE and installed win8 64bit. Computer works great but there is some audio problems I should have though of in advance.

The problem is that I send the audio through hdmi into my tv(Samsung UE46C6905 ) wich is the hub. And then a optical cable into my audio system(Logitech z5500). Doesnt have an hdmi input in my audio system, thats why I have to go through the tv.

When I look at the audio settings in windows it says its maximum channel is 2. Shouldnt it be possible to route the audio (5.1 DTS) through the tv(tv is setup to use external speakers). So now I only get analog sound.

Ive tried installing the lates graphic drivers. Havent found any other drivers I could install.

Is the conclusion that the tv cant route the audio? Or is it a win 8 problem? If there is anyone that can confirm this or have any idea what I could try to get digital audio im happy for the help.

Sorry to post a new topic about this, you propably had lots of them but I didnt find the correct topic that could confirm my problem. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I had a similar issue with my old preamp/processor that lacked HDMI inputs. I considered doing the same thing you did, but there are issues with the audio getting out of synch so I opted for another solution. I bought an HDMI switcher from Monoprice that had optical audio outputs. Instead of going through the TV and then to the preamp, the HDMI out from my PC went through the switcher and was split so that the optical output went to the preamp and the video went to the TV via HDMI. This preserved the 5.1 audio format.

Make sure you've installed all of the Intel drivers. I don't believe the HD audio will work unless you install the Management Engine driver and the HD graphics driver. That may be what's limiting you to 2-channel audio.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Ive installed the graphic drivers, but havent seen any managament engine driver. When I go to intels site they tell me my drivers are up to date. Any idea where I could get this? smile.gif

If I would need a hdmi splitter couldnt I just buy a usb sound card with digital output? Any difference in this? Didnt find any hdmi splitters in my local stores.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-04-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 248

Most if not all HDTV's will only output 2.0 when redirecting audio to the optical port. 5.1 will only work if you're watching a tv station (OTA). You can buy a usb->optical adapter and route the audio that way but remember, optical is limited to 2ch PCM, DTS, and Dolby Digital.

I have used this adapter with my laptop and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Advantage-Digital-Adapter/dp/B0036VO4X4

post #5 of 8 Old 05-04-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underlings View Post

When I look at the audio settings in windows it says its maximum channel is 2. Shouldnt it be possible to route the audio (5.1 DTS) through the tv(tv is setup to use external speakers). So now I only get analog sound.

No, because your TV cannot decode DTS audio.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-04-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses smile.gif Should have done some better research before buying but the usb adaptor will be good enough for me hopefully. Dont need more than dts, just want something better than 2.0 stereo smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 05-04-2013, 06:43 PM

The OP might return to the Intel support wwwsite to try and find an HD audio driver to go with the Intel graphics chipset. Although it's been a couple of years since I found this remedy, and surely you'd expect the driver to be built in today, the OP's issue is exactly as was mine ...

HTH. :-)

cheerios ... michael shaffer
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
post #8 of 8 Old 05-05-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underlings View Post

Ive installed the graphic drivers, but havent seen any managament engine driver. When I go to intels site they tell me my drivers are up to date. Any idea where I could get this? smile.gif

If I would need a hdmi splitter couldnt I just buy a usb sound card with digital output? Any difference in this? Didnt find any hdmi splitters in my local stores.

Management Engine Driver

It's at the bottom of the 2nd page.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page