FlexRAID Transparent RAID LEAKED!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
NLS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New major update for FlexRAID is comming soon. A kernel mode "transparent" RAID.
You can use drives individually or through the pool (which is the suggested mode).

...well actually no I cannot leak it. Sorry.

But I beta test it and let me tell you: It is looking great.

Now works on kernel level, so many restrictions of the past are lifted.

Here are three grabs from my system (these are browser captures)...

Nice stats... (more to be implemented)

My differently sized disks, a parity... a pool (could be more).

Nice customization etc.

More info to come later.
Although the actual release can beat me.

---
NLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 812
This is NZFS ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 29 Old 05-04-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I am confused with all naming schemes. As Mfusick asked, is this FlexRAID or NZFS?
post #4 of 29 Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
NLS

This is a new FlexRAID "mode" (or version) that is in fact based on NZFS platform core.
(there is actually NZFS.exe in the driver install)

So no it's not NZFS, but is one of the cool things that can be done because of NZFS development.

Cannot say more, both because I might not say these correctly and because I am not sure how much the developer wants to reveal right now.

---
NLS
post #5 of 29 Old 05-04-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
A new FlexRAID mode, hmm. Like Snapshot and Realtime RAID modes? So I am guessing it is going to be a part of what we know as FlexRAID today, and not in an upcoming product which we call NZFS. Hoping for some official news on this soon.
post #6 of 29 Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You should post this in the thread Brahim made to introduce it.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 29 Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

You should post this in the thread Brahim made to introduce it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1457880/a-first-look-at-nzfs-and-replacing-unraid-with-nzfs-s-transparent-raid-traid/0_50

-

post #8 of 29 Old 05-25-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,2203.0.html

-

post #9 of 29 Old 07-04-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
NLS

post #10 of 29 Old 07-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Excuse my ignorance, but does this solve the issue of nfs not working with flex raid?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
post #11 of 29 Old 07-04-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Excuse my ignorance, but does this solve the issue of nfs not working with flex raid?

I used Hanewin NFS on a Windows box for a while with Flexraid with no issues at all. How is it not working for you?

Looky here!
post #12 of 29 Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

I used Hanewin NFS on a Windows box for a while with Flexraid with no issues at all. How is it not working for you?
I had not tried handgun yet, was just told it had issues with whs 2011 and flexraid

post #13 of 29 Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Hanewin rather

post #14 of 29 Old 07-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Be careful, do not try tRAID on your current FlexRaid server if you value your data. It's just a RC and still has a lot of bugs.
Thanks, NLS. for posting it up. Looks like you're not frequently here.
post #15 of 29 Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

Be careful, do not try tRAID on your current FlexRaid server if you value your data. It's just a RC and still has a lot of bugs.
Yes, it's a Release Candidate and should be treated as such using test data.

Lots of bugs, no it doesn't have lots of bugs...

Ken
post #16 of 29 Old 07-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Like what bug?

Flexible RAID:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #17 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just a few days after testing.

A bug at the NTFS permissions on all the pool members by syncing all permission changes to all disks in the pool.

A bug at if your system crashed during the parity build because of your fault, the task that is stuck in error will never be able to be deleted it.

A bug at the RAID is to initialize at only 130 MB/s, but if you cancel it and start the pool without initialization, you're getting double the speed (260 MB/s) with verify sync job.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just a few days after testing.

A bug at the NTFS permissions on all the pool members by syncing all permission changes to all disks in the pool.
No idea of what you speak of.
If you are referring to whether the storage pool is strict on NTFS permissions, that is a design choice in favor of usability.
RC2 will have a strict mode for those that enjoy the intricacies of NTFS permissions.
In all my years, getting too intricate with NTFS permissions has never paid off. The default configuration is to follow a KISS approach (specially when most users want to connect all kinds of devices to the pool without fuss).
Quote:
A bug at if your system crashed during the parity build because of your fault, the task that is stuck in error will never be able to be deleted it.
This fixed. More importantly though, it has zero effect on usability.
So okay, a cosmetic issue.
Quote:
A bug at the RAID is to initialize at only 130 MB/s, but if you cancel it and start the pool without initialization, you're getting double the speed (260 MB/s) with verify sync job.
When is a feature ever a bug? http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,2358.0.html

That's the best you could come up with? rolleyes.gif
How are these "bugs" affecting data integrity?

Go ahead and admit you were wrong and were only speaking out of FUD. tongue.gif

Flexible RAID:

|
post #19 of 29 Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 AM

Liked: 148
Out of curiosity, why would you purposefully program the Create an Array to be slower than the Verify and Sync? If the Verify and Sync also creates an array, why not make the Create an Array button do the exact same thing as the Verify and Sync button and have both be faster?
post #20 of 29 Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Out of curiosity, why would you purposefully program the Create an Array to be slower than the Verify and Sync? If the Verify and Sync also creates an array, why not make the Create an Array button do the exact same thing as the Verify and Sync button and have both be faster?

Follow the link in the above post.
It explains everything. wink.gif

Flexible RAID:

|
post #21 of 29 Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Liked: 148
I had read it, but apparently not deeply enough. You are still collecting data to see which is faster and/or better...that right now the jury is still out. Yes?
post #22 of 29 Old 08-04-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Anyone using this yet ?

I've had it installed on a test WSE 2012 virtual for awhile now. So far so good.

Ken
post #23 of 29 Old 12-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
latest thoughts vs flexraid???
post #24 of 29 Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

come on mfusick....

strictly movies and music. 1 - 5 blurays added a week. have pretty much the same needs as 99.99997 users in this area regarding storage space.

have 3 3tb drives plum full. have 1 4tb and 4 more 3tb drives to add to the mix (all clean).
post #25 of 29 Old 12-09-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Are you asking me ? What ? My latest thoughts are basically the same I've always had. It's good solution for media server biggrin.gif

The developer did offer me T raid in exchange for using my machine as a demo for it- but I am still on F snapshot. I think snapshot fits my needs well, I don't have dynamic data that changes so I won't benefit from T raid much. Snapshot works just fine, and the performance is better (basically as fast as your HDD can go).

-

post #26 of 29 Old 12-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

10-4.

if you were me, would you set the 4tb as parity (duh) and then set up the 4 new 3tbs into the pool and then put the 3 full 3tbs into the server, but not into the pool, and copy all the data into the existing drive pool, then wipe the drives clean, and then add them to the pool? (super dooper run on sentences suck). or would you just add the 3 full dries to the pool as is (i'm scared to lose data)
post #27 of 29 Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

10-4.

if you were me, would you set the 4tb as parity (duh) and then set up the 4 new 3tbs into the pool and then put the 3 full 3tbs into the server, but not into the pool, and copy all the data into the existing drive pool, then wipe the drives clean, and then add them to the pool? (super dooper run on sentences suck). or would you just add the 3 full dries to the pool as is (i'm scared to lose data)

You won't lose the data. biggrin.gif

But I probably would copy then add empty into pool after I wiped them. Because I usually copy into specific locations and want specific organization. If adding the folder exactly has it is won't screw up the top level organization of your pool (can you tell I am a bit anal here) then sure go ahead. I find it easier to add empty drives and not suffer the parity calculation time (even though copy paste takes nearly as long first) - adding empty drives is nearly instant. I just feel more in control, but I am weird. I have added full drives many times to my pool. It's easy and you will not lose any data. Do whatever is easier.

No reason you can't add to the pool if you want to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

So, my 3 3tbs each have folders on the first layer, blurays, dvds, music, then subsequent folders in those. If I make the flex pool with the other drives then copy these drives to that pool, how does flex decide what info goes on what drive?

Basically everything that is on all your hard drives in your pool shows up on your pool. That is why it can get messy. For this reason I like to keep the top level of my pool organized.

I have folders like: HD MOVIES, TV SHOWS, DVD RIPS, BR RIPS, DISNEY, CHRISTMAS, MUSIC, ... etc...

Inside each of those folder would be that media. Example: All my TV shows are inside the "TV shows" folder. With flexraid it's possible (and likely) that some of your media collections will span multiple HDD's, especially if your collection is larger than any of your hard drives. This means you might have a "TV SHOWS" folder on several of your hard drives. The folder name is exactly the same on all of your hard drives that contain it. If you unpool your drives you would see a "TV SHOWS" folder on many different hard drives- but when you pool them you only see one folder on your FLEXRAID drive.

So answering your question - if you have multiple folders on those hard drives you add and the folders are named the same (or any hard drives contain folders named the same on the top level) then the contents would be pooled. If they are named different then all the folders would show on your pool and nothing would be pooled.

Flexraid doesn't move your data so it won't decide anything. If it's on a hard drive then it stays on that hard drive. The only time flexraid decided where stuff goes is when you are copying new data from outside your pool into your pool. In this case there is two settings in the set up- most times people like consolidated. Meaning Flexraid tries to keep everything together. If you already had a folder named "TV SHOWS" and you added more shows into that folder flexraid would put the new shows inside the folder on the drives that already contain a folder called "TV SHOWS" starting with the one with the most space first. If they all fill up flexraid then makes another "TV SHOWS" folder on a HDD that has the most available space and keeps going. It basically tries to limit the number of same folders you have by keeping it all together.

If you have drive balancing selected as an option it would not behave this way. It would try to balance how much data is stored on all your drives and fill them up together. This means anything new added always gets added to the drive with the most available space.

Lets use this example:

You have 4 hard drives in your pool. Only two of them have a folder called "MOVIES" The first hard drive with the folder "movies" is nearly full and only has about 100GB of free space out of 3TB. The second hard drive that has a movies folder is nearly full but has about 300GB of free space. The other two hard drives in your pool are both empty and contain nothing as you just added them to your pool. When pooled - You only see one "MOVIES" folder and the contents of both hard drives all show inside that folder (all your movies). Now lets say you copy and paste into your movies folder new movies and the copy paste is 500GB large. Flexraid would first start adding movies to the second drive which has 300GB of usable space- then if it fills it would begin to fill up the other movies folder until that drive was full (100GB more) and then if you still had more and both drives were filled it would make a new folder named exactly the same on the hard drive with the most available free space and begin filling that up.

Hope that makes sense.

-

post #28 of 29 Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

At what % does flex stop filling a near full drive?
post #29 of 29 Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

9x %

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page