Frustrated!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 05-05-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just bought the Ceton Infinitv 4 and everything has been setup. My problem lies in the audio, when I'm watching TV in HD, when certain parts of the program plays, typically some music part, there's no sound. I've tried everything but can't figure it out. I've tried different codecs and nothing works out. Also, audio is being sent to my receiver via HDMI which leads into my next questions

What are you guys using for audio on your HTPC nowadays? I use to look into this and there were HDMI sound cards but it seems like now, everyone just use their video cards via HDMI? If that's the case, what video card would you recommend as say the best of the best? I'm using the onboard video card for audio as well and I think that is limiting me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
My first thought is you have your PC set up to output surround sound, but you only have stereo speakers

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #3 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

My first thought is you have your PC set up to output surround sound, but you only have stereo speakers

Hmm...what do you mean by stereo speakers? I guess I should have posted my audio setup but here it is:
Denon AVR-2809CI
Swan Diva 6.1 Front
Swan CS3 Center
B&W 686 Side L&R AND Rear L&R
post #4 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Also, this may be a long shot but have you tested the speakers and the receiver channels to make sure they are all working? I had an issue with some voice parts not being heard and it turned out the wire had fallen out of one of the channels. rolleyes.gif

Because its only certain segments of the audio track that's missing, its definitely either a speaker or surround setup issue. You should also post your HTPC equipment list and what software you're using. Does the issue only happen with HDTV or with other HD sources as well?
post #5 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Alr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 View Post

Also, this may be a long shot but have you tested the speakers and the receiver channels to make sure they are all working? I had an issue with some voice parts not being heard and it turned out the wire had fallen out of one of the channels. rolleyes.gif

Because its only certain segments of the audio track that's missing, its definitely either a speaker or surround setup issue. You should also post your HTPC equipment list and what software you're using. Does the issue only happen with HDTV or with other HD sources as well?

Honestly, I think it's only with the HD channels. I don't watch TV as much and usually it's on an HD channel. All the speakers work as I have tested and everything plays correctly during movies.

Using WMC for TV channels and VLC for movies.
Currently on CCC codec pack, tried shark007, Klite codec pack and also just ffdaudio with mpc-hc....
post #6 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradizecityz View Post

So I just bought the Ceton Infinitv 4 and everything has been setup. My problem lies in the audio, when I'm watching TV in HD, when certain parts of the program plays, typically some music part, there's no sound. I've tried everything but can't figure it out. I've tried different codecs and nothing works out. Also, audio is being sent to my receiver via HDMI which leads into my next questions

What are you guys using for audio on your HTPC nowadays? I use to look into this and there were HDMI sound cards but it seems like now, everyone just use their video cards via HDMI? If that's the case, what video card would you recommend as say the best of the best? I'm using the onboard video card for audio as well and I think that is limiting me....

Most broadcast cable only delivers AC3 2.0 and rarely 2.1/5.1

I probably receive about 6 channels in 5.1 and the others in 2.0 (all AC3)

That being said, AC3 is pretty ubiquitous when it comes to video cards (in other words - it'd be difficult to buy a new one that "didn't" support it)

TrueHD and DTS-HD are supported on new cards from NVIDIA and AMD, as well as Intel integrated (for at least 2 yrs now)

For intel, the audio feed is handed off to the PCH, so it doesn't really matter which intel motherboard/processor you use (disregard onboard video decoding options as well) as long as it's Sandy or Ivy (no reason to use clarkdale)

Bitstreamed audio is passed through the video card or integrated video, so the question of "which video card would be the best of the best?" in regards to audio is similar to saying "Which filesystem is the best for copying a zip file to a flash drive?" - it has no effect

For the other part, I'm curious as to which channel is affected

For Comcast users in WMC, there was an issue (which may still be unresolved) where you had to select the second audio track in the broadcast to hear anything. This applied to the CW HD channel. The broadcast contained 1080i mpeg2 video and (2x) ac3 2.0 audio streams. WMC would default to the first one (which worked for every other channel) but for some reason the CW HD broadcast had everything in the 2nd audio track (which is usually for music and special effects). You had to manually select the second track every time in WMC to watch it, but the DVR/STB boxes from Scientific Atlantia never encountered this problem.

Someone who knows more about TV broadcast / WMC troubleshooting would have to help out, but the thread I recall is this one. However, the solution is more of a band-aid in my opinion
post #7 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

That's pretty inte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Most broadcast cable only delivers AC3 2.0 and rarely 2.1/5.1

I probably receive about 6 channels in 5.1 and the others in 2.0 (all AC3)

That being said, AC3 is pretty ubiquitous when it comes to video cards (in other words - it'd be difficult to buy a new one that "didn't" support it)

TrueHD and DTS-HD are supported on new cards from NVIDIA and AMD, as well as Intel integrated (for at least 2 yrs now)

For intel, the audio feed is handed off to the PCH, so it doesn't really matter which intel motherboard/processor you use (disregard onboard video decoding options as well) as long as it's Sandy or Ivy (no reason to use clarkdale)

Bitstreamed audio is passed through the video card or integrated video, so the question of "which video card would be the best of the best?" in regards to audio is similar to saying "Which filesystem is the best for copying a zip file to a flash drive?" - it has no effect

For the other part, I'm curious as to which channel is affected

For Comcast users in WMC, there was an issue (which may still be unresolved) where you had to select the second audio track in the broadcast to hear anything. This applied to the CW HD channel. The broadcast contained 1080i mpeg2 video and (2x) ac3 2.0 audio streams. WMC would default to the first one (which worked for every other channel) but for some reason the CW HD broadcast had everything in the 2nd audio track (which is usually for music and special effects). You had to manually select the second track every time in WMC to watch it, but the DVR/STB boxes from Scientific Atlantia never encountered this problem.

Someone who knows more about TV broadcast / WMC troubleshooting would have to help out, but the thread I recall is this one. However, the solution is more of a band-aid in my opinion

Alright so I guess I will just be getting one of the newer nvidia video cards then, thanks smile.gif

But it's interesting with the WMC issue. I am using the Ceton with Comcast/Xfinity as well. My daughter watches Disney channel and its affected there, I would watch basketball on TNT/ESPN/ABC and the issue is there as well. I tried seeing if there are other audio but only found the 1 track. I really think its something with the codec and WMC but can't figure out how to change it to ffdaudio. I tried doing the registry but that seems to screw up everything.

Any alternatives to WMC for Ceton? I looked around and seems like I can only use the Ceton on WMC which I don't like too much.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
What?

I get DD 5.1 on almost all channels if not all of them.

post #9 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

What?

Well . . . sounds good

Even the channels that do have ac3 5.1 are compressed to 128kbps (rather than the dvd 5.1 of 384kbps)

I can look through it again, but I know that the last time I really paid any attention (2-3 months ago) that several of the ac3 stations were in fact 2.0 and not 5.1

Also, fwiw ac3 and dd are synonymous
post #10 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Are any of your unencrypted channels 5.1? If so you could try recording and playing the .wtv file in VLC to see if you're getting the issue there as well.

My guess is that you have a conflict somewhere due to this:

Currently on CCC codec pack, tried shark007, Klite codec pack and also just ffdaudio with mpc-hc....
post #11 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed on the codec mess you've installed. If you are trying to get ac3 in wmc from an infinitv then the process is
  1. install Windows
  2. install infinitv
  3. run wmc audio and TV setups
You only be extra codecs for HD audio and additional splitters for mkv and other non wmc file types
post #12 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the confusion but I don't have all those codecs installed at the same time. I meant that I am currently using the CCC pack but I've tried the klite codec pack, tried shark007 codec pack....

Also I did forget to mention that it's not the channel entirely, it would work fine but when it gets to certain parts of the program or even go to a different commercial, sound would go silent.

I'll try to record something and replay it in VLC if there's any issues there
post #13 of 33 Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and not to mention that sometime the HD channel won't even work, I would get Service Unavailable but the normal SD channel works fine...eek.gif
post #14 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion but I don't have all those codecs installed at the same time. I meant that I am currently using the CCC pack but I've tried the klite codec pack, tried shark007 codec pack....

Also I did forget to mention that it's not the channel entirely, it would work fine but when it gets to certain parts of the program or even go to a different commercial, sound would go silent.

I'll try to record something and replay it in VLC if there's any issues there

Quote:

Oh, and not to mention that sometime the HD channel won't even work, I would get Service Unavailable but the normal SD channel works fine...eek.gif

First off, commercials often are in 2.0 when the main program is in 5.1.

Secondly, CCC pack is not recommended. You can install LAV by itself or use Shark007 to do it for you.

Lastly, if you are having "Service Unavailable" problems it is an issue with your tuner or with your provider.

post #15 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Quote:

What?

Well . . . sounds good

Even the channels that do have ac3 5.1 are compressed to 128kbps (rather than the dvd 5.1 of 384kbps)

I can look through it again, but I know that the last time I really paid any attention (2-3 months ago) that several of the ac3 stations were in fact 2.0 and not 5.1

Also, fwiw ac3 and dd are synonymous

True. I don't expect DVD quality coming down the pipe. I've never actually verified the bit rate though.

post #16 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

First off, commercials often are in 2.0 when the main program is in 5.1.

Secondly, CCC pack is not recommended. You can install LAV by itself or use Shark007 to do it for you.

Lastly, if you are having "Service Unavailable" problems it is an issue with your tuner or with your provider.

Ok. Understood about the commercial, I was just saying it happens there as well and not only the main program, not even every commercial has an issue.

I've tried LAV and also shark007 but still have issues and ill get rid of CCC when I get home then.

Also, would it only be the provider? Because I could restart and everything would work fine...?
post #17 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Does it change during the same program or is it during different programs. The audio can be program specific.

You may want to post in the InfniTV4 thread or open a support ticket with ceton. One thing though, what are your signal levels?

post #18 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM

Liked: 12
From my personal experience Dolby Digital Plus coming from Windows Media Center should work right out of the box. There's no need for additional codecs from that standpoint. As already noted, audio will change from 5.1 to 2.0 depending on how a commercial is encoded.
post #19 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

You are correct. Sometimes installing a codec pack such as CCC can destroy audio playback for Live/Recorded TV via an HTPC.

post #20 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post

From my personal experience Dolby Digital Plus coming from Windows Media Center should work right out of the box
Agreed, and intended to say that in Post #11 but may have used to many extra words
post #21 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 11:15 AM

About a month and a half ago I began to dabble with audio Codecs within Windows 7 prior to migrating to XBMC. I messed around with CCC, Shark007, and various codec packs, and all of them caused issues with Windows Media Center for casual viewing. My intent was to try and get Dolby Digital, DTS and HD Audio from MKVs and the like.

One of the reason's why I asked what type of video card you have is because I discovered by reading this forum and others that Realtek HD Audio Drivers (for example) will hinder the ability of playing Lossless Audio with some AMD/ATI Graphics Cards. Now I know through XBMC it did cause issues and by completely removing the Realtek HD Audio Drivers, and installing WASAPI via Fubar2000, I was able to hear Dolby Digital and DTS Core lossy audio from movies I ripped from Blu Rays ( I have an AMD 4200 Graphics Card which cannot bit stream HD Audio files).

With that said, I would strip the computer from any codec not needed by Windows Media Center, then work your way up to allow for VLC to play those files with the proper audio codec.
post #22 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

VLC? Really? For use with a CableCARD tuner and HD Audio?

post #23 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM

I'm just going by what Paradizecityz posted earlier. TV Viewing via WMC and I guess video playback through VLC. I could never get VLC to playback anything DTS Related and it would only play 2.0 through my Receiver. I was able to get MPH-HC to playback an M2TS File with Dolby TrueHD down sampled to Dolby Digital, but by that time I was already moving towards XBMC and when my Raspberry Pi played a DTS core file of a DTSMA Video File without any adjustments to my receiver or the file itself on the very first try, Windows Media Center's days were numbered in my home.
post #24 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies.

I never have any issues using VLC for my movie playback, in fact, when I've try using MPC-HC, I get no sound, even though I've followed tutorials on setting it up. With VLC, I get the Multi Channel 7.1/DTS read from my receiver and I assume that's correct.

My next question would be, even though there are codecs on the computer, WMC uses it's own Codec so wouldn't that not be an issue? I know I've tried no codecs before and still get issues but I'll try it again. The codecs were really for the mkv movie playbacks.
post #25 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

You have screwed up the installation of your splitter and codecs if you are not getting audio from MPC-HC.

If you have done this then you have screwed up Microsoft Media Foundation with merits set too high for FFDShow and hence TV Fails in WMC.

It is VLC that is self contained with it's own splitters and codecs but I was not aware that it did dts or any HD Audio except LPCM.

post #26 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Dang...so you guys think I really screwed up all the codecs and such? Should I just do a fresh installation? If so, I won't install any codecs but how do I setup MPC-HC so that it will play DTS and all those goodies...?

Also a side note, under the sound card properties and under the "Advanced" tab, I unchecked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"...is that correct or should I have that checked? And can someone explain that a little bit more?
post #27 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing I see is that we never asked about the specs on your HTPC. Can you list them?

Furthermore, I had to reinstall everything about four times when I set up my HTPC in 2011. Then I dropped $20 (now $25) on assassin's guide.

post #28 of 33 Old 05-07-2013, 07:49 PM

This one took me 3 months. I had the same issue with the Ceton. It was a pain in the ass, but here's how I fixed it:

First of all, I'm using HDMI for audio set on 7.1 on my HTPC audio device and 7.1 on WMC. On the advanced tab of your audio device (Intel Display Audio), do you have either or both of the "allow applications exclusive control..." checkboxes checked? If you don't, then you should be able to set your speaker config to 5.1 or 7.1 and have it work without issue. (at least based on my experience) I also have an Intel motherboard and use it's built-in audio device, and here's what I've found:

If you leave the "allow applications exclusive control" checkboxes unchecked, then you can set your speaker config properly (in windows) and it will work. If you want to bitstream, then be sure to check BOTH of those boxes on the advanced tab, and set your speaker config to stereo.

Ben
post #29 of 33 Old 05-08-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

I will post specs of my computer when I get off work.

As of right now, both check boxes are not checked and I have done the speaker configurations in Windows already.
post #30 of 33 Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, just checked "allow applications exclusive control" and configured the speakers as stereo and will check it out but here are my specs

i5 2500k
Asus P8H67-M
8 gb of ram
Intel HD Graphics 3000

****EDIT****
Just tried it out and as soon as I go to any HD channels, I see my receiver say something like "Digital Offset -7" right away and the volume is more softer even though it's on the same volume that I always use before
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page