PC not always giving 2.1 sound, any ideas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, I have a strange situation [well, to me anyways] in regards to my PC's speaker output.

I have a gateway GT5408 [stop laughing] and use advent 009SUB & corresponding advent desktop speakers.

They are currently plugged in the green jack in analog, since the speakers first plug to the sub itself, then out to the PC.

My question is in regards to why sometimes I get no output from the sub. Some tracks give it, some don't. The sub is working.

I only use it for music and pull lots of audio from youtube and convert to mp3 then to flashdrive, primarily with VLC player, which I use to play in my car stereo.

I certainly didn't see any type of 2.1 audio option in media player or VCL. My wife bought this PC from a friend who upgraded the internals, as there is a second digital sound card mounted below the one I'm using. [haven't torn it open to look yet] He gamed with it, had a huge monitor, sound etc.

Would it be advisable to just shop for a digital 2.1 speaker set up? [don't want 5.1, no room where the PC resides]

Also, would using a digital 2.1 set up allow all music to played with the sub? Or is dependent on HOW the music was uploaded to the internet?

If the advents can't be utilized, it'd be a shame, as they do sound very good for just a small 2.1 set.
link to pics of sub/speakers >> http://www.amazon.com/Subwoofer-AV009SUB-Speaker-Computer-Speakers/dp/images/B009W8VG5E

Sorry if this in the wrong place, I know it seems dinosaur.....thanks in advance. ~Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Go to Control Panel > Sound and set up your speakers there.

Also, if there is no LFE channel in the audio it probably won't activate the sub.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well, in Win7, no LFE shown. As I said, it works with some audio, not always. Seems to depend on the upload/download.
I also see S/PDIF as the digital [not currently used], which shows LFE protection [set @ 60hz]

This other sound card is also showing an orange serial type socket next to the audio jacks, which are all in a horizontal row
opposed to the normal block pattern. Hell, even the windows media player had only 2.0 or 5.1 Barf.

Guess I'll keep digging.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
wait, so how many plugs are going into the pc? Just one into the green jack?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

That is correct, as this set up goes:
Power to the sub, then the speakers plug into sub and go to the green jack.
It will only recognize the audio in the green jack. [titled as hi-def audio device in OS]
post #6 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Oh.. THAT's IT!

That jack is stereo only.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
yea, I'm trying to find out how these speakers work. I can't find a manual anywhere.
Typically, what happens is that you output stereo, the subwoofer has a built in crossover that substracts the low frequencies to create the .1, and what's left goes to the satellites.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

I understand that....it is the inconsistent way the sub either plays or doesn't. I'm not certain as to WHY this is occurring.

For example: I'm currently listening to DIO, the sabbath years, taken from youtube. Quality recording, yet no sub. [2.0 only]

Taken from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TICOMiggq4o

Then, Steve Vai covering Deep Purple's highway star

Taken from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrpz0-hSbw Now, this plays WITH the sub, and sounds frickin' great.

I used this site to convert to mp3: http://www.listentoyoutube.com/ FOR BOTH SONGS. So I don't think this site is the cause of the
sub not being engaged.

It seems the issue is with BOTH the lack of TRUE 2.1 set up option AND the perhaps the uploaded format to youtube originally??

ALSO, AN FYI, this sub is passive, and WILL play just the speakers IF the sub is NOT switched on. Which is nice if you don't want the sub
or forget to power it off.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, now this is what I get for being a COMPLETE MORON!

The gain [volume] on the front of the left speaker [the one with cord from the sub] wasn't turned up over 1-2.

Which of course, controls the flow to the sub's output...or lack thereof.

I'd just go back to bed, but I have to have another marrow biopsy in 2 hrs. Bone cancer sucks.

Sorry for the ignorance people.......now back to your normal programming.

~Mark
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page