Home Media server: what? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Team,

I am in the process of purchasing my first real home theater system and installing it into my first home theater area. Exciting, huh? I have a three year old Dell Inspiron that I want to convert into a media server. Here is what I do know. I will be running Windows 7 64 bit, have only 4 GB of ram (at capacity for this model) and will be installing plenty o' room with two, four TB hard drives. I will be using this server for movies, which I plan to copy to the machine, a DVR and audio jukebox.

What applications do you recommend I have on this system? I am planning on using My Movies for Windows Media Center but really am looking for the group to help me out with additional applications and hardware considerations.

Thanks,

LennartzHT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-09-2013, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Take a look at Assassin's HTPC guides. They're the best source of consolidated information I've found, and quite easy to follow regardless of skill level.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-09-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by LennartzHT View Post

Team,

I am in the process of purchasing my first real home theater system and installing it into my first home theater area. Exciting, huh? I have a three year old Dell Inspiron that I want to convert into a media server. Here is what I do know. I will be running Windows 7 64 bit, have only 4 GB of ram (at capacity for this model) and will be installing plenty o' room with two, four TB hard drives. I will be using this server for movies, which I plan to copy to the machine, a DVR and audio jukebox.

What applications do you recommend I have on this system? I am planning on using My Movies for Windows Media Center but really am looking for the group to help me out with additional applications and hardware considerations.

Thanks,

LennartzHT

Well, with My Movies you really just need Windows Media Center on the HTPC and connect it to My Movies. Not much to it since My Movies also pulls in the metadata so you don't need Media Center Master and you won't need Media Browser either.

You didn't mention how you are playing your movies. If you have discs then you'll need to rip them, but My Movies can do that as well as long as you have a copy of AnyDVD. If you are playing Blu-ray rips then you'll need something able to play them. To maintain menu structure you'll need a program like TMT, but if you don't care about menus then there are free options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Take a look at Assassin's HTPC guides. They're the best source of consolidated information I've found, and quite easy to follow regardless of skill level.

How can you just take a look? You have to pay to view.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page