Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
After Bumpy Start, Microsoft Rethinks Windows 8
Quote:
“The learning curve is real and needs to be addressed"...

Microsoft will allow Windows users to configure their systems so they start on the traditional-looking Windows desktop when they start their systems. Microsoft didn’t allow that initially, steering all users to the new tile interface, which is best suited for people running systems with touch screens.

After spending a few months with Windows 8, I have to say that I have adapted but it has been a significant disruption to my workflow. I am a power user both personally and professionally, and own several Windows computers specific to different requirements. Additionally, I've been a Windows user since 1985 and Windows 1.0, and up until and including Windows 95 I have provided pre-release testing and feedback. Historically (and loosely) every other release of Windows has hit the ball out of the park, while the rest have been either boring or ineffective (your mileage may vary of course). While I understand the strategic direction Microsoft is moving toward, their execution WRT Win8 should have rolled some heads. In order to attempt capturing more seamless integration with tablet computing they successfully alienated a huge segment of their customer base. Very odd.

Anyway, I thought this interesting. Anyone who is considering Windows 8 for HTPC builds might want to see where this goes. I'm glad to see both recognition of their failure and the path to remediation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
I had Windows 8 installed on my HTPC and uninstalled it immediately. The user interface was not very intuitive, and navigating the desktop was a nightmare. If they revamp the desktop with a service pack upgrade, (adding the start button) I might give it another go round...
Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, Windows 8.1 (with a 'start' button) on the way to roll out.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I'm just starting another PC build I'd like to know whether this is coming in the form of a SP or an interim version. I wouldn't exactly trust Microsoft not to somehow monetize this great new idea smile.gif

Old 05-10-2013, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Don't get carried away. Many seem to think the 'return of the start button' heralds the return of the start menu. Very likely (from early reports) it won't. In 8.1, the start button will be in the usual place, but clicking it will just take you to the Metro screen, it won't present the classic menu! I think MS just leaving an empty space where the start button used to be - on the desktop - was a big mistake, and they realise this now, but Metro isn't going anywhere. It will still be there even if you 'boot to desktop', and it will drag you back in at every opportunity as all common file associations will remain linked to Metro apps.

Metro will have some improvements to make it easier to use (apparently), but it will still fundamentally be the same. If MS truly want 8.1 (and 9 for that matter) to succeed in all markets, the answers are simple;

* Allow users the choice of running the O/S is 'classic' mode or 'modern' mode
* For corporate users, it should default to classic desktop mode, and make all file associations linked to desktop programs (Windows 8 Enterprise)
* Accept that touch is a long way off (if ever) from being mainstream on the desktop
* As a little sweetener, add Aero back in as an *optional* theme, so it can be re-activated if people want to use it (I hate the new 'flat' look and would have Aero back in a heartbeat)

The message here is, give people a choice on how they want to use it!
bulls and Cetrian like this.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, based on the comments in the article it's clear that Microsoft acknowledged its blunder in presuming that a touch-optimized UE works on the desktop. This can't be rectified by simply adding back the start button. What you're claiming gets them nowhere, and will drag them even further down the path of irrelevance.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
They should really add a charms button while they are at it.

I think Microsoft is going down the Apple road of charging for every incremental update. I hope this is a free service pack but I doubt it.

There are some things about Metro that are stupidly laid out but the basic idea of having a start menu and all apps accessible in a much bigger screen is a very good idea. My biggest issue is with charms poor layout that almost hides features that used to be easy to access from the start menu.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

I had Windows 8 installed on my HTPC and uninstalled it immediately. The user interface was not very intuitive, and navigating the desktop was a nightmare. If they revamp the desktop with a service pack upgrade, (adding the start button) I might give it another go round...

True, why would anyone EVER want anything like this on an HTPC? wink.gif

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 05-10-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Can you control that with a remote?

Old 05-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Can you control that with a remote?

Nope. If you could, I would migrate the HTPCs to Windows 8 immediately. I'm rocking it on the desktop though.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Wrong. You can navigate the start screen with a remote perfectly, just like you can with the arrow keys and enter. It's just the WinRT apps themselves that can't all be navigated with a remote. So, I do need to use my mini Bluetooth keyboard for say, Netflix, as an example.

It's the exact opposite with a 360 controller, where certain apps work with it (most of the games I have pinned there), but the controller doesn't work on the start screen.

I hope both of those improve, but the main 'frontend' I'm using is working great with the remote.

I do mostly still use Media Center, but the way I have it set up now is a million times more customizable, and a million times more extendable (as let's face it, Media Center plugins never caught on much beyond the basics).

Old 05-10-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

So you can arrow around with the remote and load netflix but once in there you need to grab your keyboard? What about going to LiveTV, RecordedTV or your personal library? Do you ever have to touch your keyboard/mouse to get to and navigate them?

Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
You would just hit Start/Green Button to launch WMC.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wrong. You can navigate the start screen with a remote perfectly, just like you can with the arrow keys and enter. It's just the WinRT apps themselves that can't all be navigated with a remote.

And you call that working? Working implies fully usable with a remote like he asked. I stand by my 'no'.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

So you can arrow around with the remote and load netflix but once in there you need to grab your keyboard? What about going to LiveTV, RecordedTV or your personal library? Do you ever have to touch your keyboard/mouse to get to and navigate them?

I made shortcuts to the parts I use right there on the start screen. So the gray icons under Video, for example, are links directly to Live TV, Recorded TV, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by staknhalo View Post

And you call that working? Working implies fully usable. I stand by my 'no'.

It's fully usable the same way that Windows 7 is usable. Unless you have some secret method to use MLB.tv, TuneIn Radio, Xbox Music streaming, and others with a remote in Windows 7...

Edit: Oops, missed part of it. Yes, once I load Netflix I do have to switch to the mini keyboard/touchpad. I gladly sacrifice the remote support that the WMC Netflix has to get the 5.1 audio and actual HD video that the WinRT Netflix has though.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's fully usable the same way that Windows 7 is usable. Unless you have some secret method to use MLB.tv, TuneIn Radio, Xbox Music streaming, and others with a remote in Windows 7...

MCEWebview plugin for MLB.tv; ReLaunch or Radiotime plugins for TuneIn Radio. The only time you need a keyboard is to log in to the site(s) the first time. Make sure the cookies get saved and you only need a remote to navigate them thereafter (for RadioTime you never need a keyboard). And there is no Xbox Music streaming on Windows 7; but I'm sure you're well aware of that. My media center only gets used with a remote control (or 360 controller when playing games) and I use all these services via various plugins (and the WMC Netflix Plugin - but that doesn't show via Remote Desktop):

Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 429
While I can't stand metro on a destop PC, I agree that it has huge potential as great media interface. Hopefully MS will recognize this and give us a fully working solution in the update. It wouldn't take much.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

MCEWebview plugin for MLB.tv; ReLaunch or Radiotime plugins for TuneIn Radio. The only time you need a keyboard is to log in to the site(s) the first time. Make sure the cookies get saved and you only need a remote to navigate them thereafter (for RadioTime you never need a keyboard). And there is no Xbox Music streaming on Windows 7; but I'm sure you're well aware of that. My media center only gets used with a remote control (or 360 controller when playing games) and I use all these services via various plugins (and the WMC Netflix Plugin - but that doesn't show via Remote Desktop):

What did you use to modify your menu strips?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Media Center Studio
Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 260
Quote:

It's the exact opposite with a 360 controller, where certain apps work with it (most of the games I have pinned there), but the controller doesn't work on the start screen.
I bet you can configure XPadder to handle this. I haven't tried though, as I don’t use the start screen on my PC. (But I do use Windows 8 because it’s a big improvement on the desktop)
Old 05-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

While I can't stand metro on a destop PC, I agree that it has huge potential as great media interface. Hopefully MS will recognize this and give us a fully working solution in the update. It wouldn't take much.

I agree completely. It sucks as a desktop interface, but really has huge potential as a media interface for navigating via a remote. Almost everything is there already, but MS just don't seem interested in pushing it in this direction. I guess they want everyone to buy an Xbox to have that level of control. I really can't see any improvements coming in 8.1 in this respect, and it's almost universally acknowledged that MC will be totally removed in 9.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I bought a copy of Windows 8 the day it was released. I've got it installed on a 2nd PC that I use for miscellaneous tasks in addition to my primary PC. I find that I use it even less now that it has Windows 8. The UI is completely non-intuitive and a total PITA to navigate if you aren't familiar with it. Microsoft screwed the pooch by creating a UI that was foreign to most Windows users. There have always been new features that the user has had to get accustomed to with each new release of Windows, but nothing as radically different as Win 8. Metro may have seemed like a good idea for tablets and other touch screen devices, but it has no business on a desktop PC.

The Charm Bar is a joke and needs to be eliminated completely. Give me an icon or a Start button so I can access these items directly instead of waving my cursor at the corner and hoping I can make it appear. I don't understand why they can't just stick a Power button in the system tray or the bottom of the screen instead of making me jump through hoops to reboot or shut down the PC.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have two problems with this:
1 - It is like trying to solve a Rubik's Cube when you try to move things around on it.
For that reason alone I hate it. Why does everything else have to move just because I want "X" to be "here" and "Y" to be beside it?

2 - When I install something, every executable file in that program is now on this screen somewhere and has to be removed manually.

As for the start menu: I took care of that with Classic Shell. Plus, one can make custom menus pretty simply and just put them on the bar (even s shutdown link).

I don't care for the ribbon interface either so I use an alternate File Explorer. I have a couple of programs that do not want to work properly with 8, but most of my old programs work just fine. I even have a couple of DOS programs that work as good as ever. I DID purchase Softmaker Office 12 though. I got it for $12 and it works great.

And finally: I got tired real fast of Windows "Big Brothering" me at every turn. I took ownership of everything on my computer and did away with that silliness. But usually when I tell people that, I start hearing the "Security Security Security" speech from them. My security is just fine. I do not use a stand alone virus program, and have not had one on my computer in the past ten or more years.

I used to say that windows 8 sucked. It is mostly just the GUI that sucks.

I am still bouncing around from my XP hard drive to my Windows 8 hard drive. I just don't have any real reason to give up XP yet. It works. And no, I am not worried about the end of the updates.

If they would just fix that Rubik's Cube problem on Metro. tongue.gif
Old 07-08-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 View Post

* As a little sweetener, add Aero back in as an *optional* theme, so it can be re-activated if people want to use it (I hate the new 'flat' look and would have Aero back in a heartbeat)

...now that people have mostly stopped complaining about the new "curvy" look of Luna introduced by Windows XP.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

...now that people have mostly stopped complaining about the new "curvy" look of Luna introduced by Windows XP.

Loads of people loved Aero. With most GPU's in the last five years able to run Aero with everything turned on with ZERO impact on performance, it just seemed silly for MS to remove it completely (it was there in late Win8 beta's). GPU's are only getting more powerful, and now were lumped with this flat, lifeless, BORING desktop look'n'feel, that often gives poor feedback to actions, and now makes all buttons just look like awful. All they had to do was leave it in, but just not make it the default. Some of MS's decisions are just downright odd, and certainly not for the benefit of the people who actually want to use their software.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 AM

Liked: 150
Quote:

And you call that working? Working implies fully usable with a remote like he asked. I stand by my 'no'.

So you are blaming Microsoft for Netflix not being able to be controlled by a remote? Interesting. Do you also blame Microsoft for Apple changing the interface type on their new Ipods, thereby making all the old peripherals no longer usable with them?
Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Boy View Post

I have two problems with this:
1 - It is like trying to solve a Rubik's Cube when you try to move things around on it.
For that reason alone I hate it. Why does everything else have to move just because I want "X" to be "here" and "Y" to be beside it?

The icons on the desktop are the same way. If you move an icon from the bottom of a row on your desktop up to the top of that row, all the other icons shift downward. If you move an icon from another row into a full row, the icon on the bottom moves to the top of a new row. This is how Windows has acted for a great many years and Metro doing it is simply the continuation of what you are used to having.

Quote:
2 - When I install something, every executable file in that program is now on this screen somewhere and has to be removed manually.

Depends on the program, actually. Some install nothing there, which I personally find far worse.

Quote:
I used to say that windows 8 sucked. It is mostly just the GUI that sucks.

I would agree with this.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

The Charm Bar is a joke and needs to be eliminated completely. Give me an icon or a Start button so I can access these items directly instead of waving my cursor at the corner and hoping I can make it appear. I don't understand why they can't just stick a Power button in the system tray or the bottom of the screen instead of making me jump through hoops to reboot or shut down the PC.

Yeah, I can understand why they want the swipe motion for the charms bar for a tablet, but it makes no sense on a mouse controlled device. I say give us both methods - and definitely a power off button as well. I am fine with one that requires two clicks to power off to both prevent accidental power offs and to give me the ability to select sleep, reboot, etc.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Loads of people loved Aero. With most GPU's in the last five years able to run Aero with everything turned on with ZERO impact on performance, it just seemed silly for MS to remove it completely (it was there in late Win8 beta's). GPU's are only getting more powerful, and now were lumped with this flat, lifeless, BORING desktop look'n'feel, that often gives poor feedback to actions, and now makes all buttons just look like awful. All they had to do was leave it in, but just not make it the default. Some of MS's decisions are just downright odd, and certainly not for the benefit of the people who actually want to use their software.

I would guess they did it at the behest of developers; a lot of programs I have used turn off Aero when they launch.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I don't understand why they can't just stick a Power button in the system tray or the bottom of the screen instead of making me jump through hoops to reboot or shut down the PC.
Most people are buying laptops and tablets these days. They all have an easily accessible hardware power button on them. Most PC towers also have a hardware power button within reach, and it's rare for people's setups to have the tower located far away from the user. Most keyboards these days also have a power button on them. Microsoft has done a lot of research that has shown that few users were shutting down via the Start Menu. It's redundant, and clutters up the UI.
Quote:

Aero has not been removed. In fact, Aero/Desktop Composition is forced on in Windows 8 and cannot be disabled. The Aero Glass theme has been removed though.

Every time I have to use a Windows 7 machine now, after using Windows 8 on all my home systems, the Aero Glass theme just looks very dated.
In an interesting twist of fate, iOS 7 seems to be a blend of the two with the focus on typography that Windows 8/Metro has, and the Glass look of Vista/7.
Quote:

All modern interfaces seem to work this way, it's nothing exclusive to Windows 8. You are really just re-ordering a list of items, rather than being able to place each item where you want. (like you can on the desktop)
Quote:

Gone in 8.1
Quote:

I don't care for the ribbon interface either so I use an alternate File Explorer.
I just minimized the ribbon - now the UI is smaller than it was in Windows 7. I never used the explorer toolbar anyway.
Quote:

I got tired real fast of Windows "Big Brothering" me at every turn.
If you are talking about UAC, it's far more lax in Windows 8 than previous versions of Windows by default, and the system should be prompting for administrative access when making potentially harmful changes. At least it isn't like OS X and asking for your login password each time too. And it's configurable in Windows so you can adjust how strict it is, or disable it altogether.