Sata Controller Card - Please advise. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey guys, I need 4 more sata ports for available hdds but unfortunately on-board sata ports are now full and 3 PCI-e x 4 and 16 slots are filled up by 3 supermicro sata controller cards.
Two PCI-e x 1 slots are the only ones I have now. Can you please recommend any reliable controller card that caries 4 sata channels (or 2 sata channels so I can buy 2) and can sit on PCI-e x 1 slot? Also, check if it has windows server 2012 driver.
Much appreciate it.
Elpee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Andy_Steb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 140
How many hard drives do you have? And what controllers are you using?

Andy_Steb is online now  
post #3 of 24 Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
36 hdds and 3 supermicro aoc-saslp-mv8 cards. Just JBOD to be set up by Flexraid in windows 2012 environment. Mobo Asus P8Z77 -V with 8 sata ports on-board. Thanks.
Elpee is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,937
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 314
SYBA SI-PEX40064 (SATA 6Gbps 4-port PCIe 2.0 x1, Marvell 88SE9215 chip)

SYBA says the interface is PCI Express 1.0, but the chip is PCI Express 2.0.
renethx is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 05-11-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

SYBA SI-PEX40064 (SATA 6Gbps 4-port PCIe 2.0 x1, Marvell 88SE9215 chip)

SYBA says the interface is PCI Express 1.0, but the chip is PCI Express 2.0.
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if it's compatible with Windows server 2012?
Elpee is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AnthonyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am starting to plan one of these. why are you using this many hard drives?

How many drives can you stack in an array before you need one for parity?

What is the size on each of them, what case are you using?
AnthonyB is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 05-11-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,937
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

SYBA SI-PEX40064 (SATA 6Gbps 4-port PCIe 2.0 x1, Marvell 88SE9215 chip)

SYBA says the interface is PCI Express 1.0, but the chip is PCI Express 2.0.
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if it's compatible with Windows server 2012?

I am not sure. Software requirement:

http://sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1376

Server 2012 is not in the list, but Windows 8 is supported, so why not Server 2012. You can ask a question there.

Edit: I found this. The user asked about "Windows Home Server 2011", that is based on "Windows Server 2008 R2", while the tech support replied about "Windows Server 2012". eek.gif Anyway modifying .inf should be easy.

Edit 2: I checked mvs91xx.inf in the driver. It should work with Server 2012 (= NTamd64.6.2; "NTamd64" should work) without any modification.
renethx is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

I am starting to plan one of these. why are you using this many hard drives?

How many drives can you stack in an array before you need one for parity?

What is the size on each of them, what case are you using?

Here is the project I'm working on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

I am not sure. Software requirement:

http://sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1376

Server 2012 is not in the list, but Windows 8 is supported, so why not Server 2012. You can ask a question there.

Edit: I found this. The user asked about "Windows Home Server 2011", that is based on "Windows Server 2008 R2", while the tech support replied about "Windows Server 2012". eek.gif Anyway modifying .inf should be easy.

Edit 2: I checked mvs91xx.inf in the driver. It should work with Server 2012 (= NTamd64.6.2; "NTamd64" should work) without any modification.
Thank you, renethx. I'll buy it soon and let you know if it works with server 2012.
BTW, I can confirm the driver that you posted at avs forum for supermicro aoc-saslp-mv8 controller card works well with Server 2012 and the card recognizes 4TB drives.
Elpee is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 05-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Member
 
highzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've used the Syba SY-PEX40039 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124045). It only has 2 SATA ports so you will need 2 of them. It uses the ASMedia 1061 SATA chip instead of a Marvell chip. Marvell SATA chips have been known to have problems.
highzone is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by highzone View Post

I've used the Syba SY-PEX40039 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124045). It only has 2 SATA ports so you will need 2 of them. It uses the ASMedia 1061 SATA chip instead of a Marvell chip. Marvell SATA chips have been known to have problems.

Thank you. I don't care if it's 2 or 4 sata ports as long as it has driver that works with server 2012. Can you confirm it?
Elpee is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 05-12-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,937
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 314
ASM1061 is a very popular SATA / PCIe controller chip with good reputation and used in almost every Intel 7-Series chipset mb if it has more than 6 SATA ports (GIGABYTE is the only exception, it uses Marvell 88SE92xx). And it looks like it works with Server 2012 (a user's experience).
renethx is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 05-12-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AnthonyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My original question wasn't answered. Why so many drives?
AnthonyB is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 05-12-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 20,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
I thought same question. With minimum size being 3TB ... So many drives not needed.

-


"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #14 of 24 Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
renethx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 15,937
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I tested 88SE9125 (not 9215 but close) and AMS1061. Both worked right out of the box (i.e. worked with Microsoft Standard SATA AHCI Controller driver) under Windows Server 2012. AMS1061 also worked with its own driver (1.3.9). (I couldn't find Marvell's own driver for 9125.) CrystalDiskMark (WD 3TB Green):
Code:
88SE9125 with Standard SATA AHCI Controller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

           Sequential Read :   104.513 MB/s
          Sequential Write :    99.552 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    28.165 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :    48.985 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     0.291 MB/s [    70.9 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     0.838 MB/s [   204.5 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     0.702 MB/s [   171.5 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     0.674 MB/s [   164.5 IOPS]

  Test : 1000 MB [H: 59.3% (1658.4/2794.5 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2013/05/13 10:32:34
    OS : Windows Server 2012 Server Standard Edition (full installation) [6.2 Build 9200] (x64)

ASM1061 with Standard SATA AHCI Controller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

           Sequential Read :   104.523 MB/s
          Sequential Write :    99.979 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    27.869 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :    52.005 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     0.286 MB/s [    69.8 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     0.812 MB/s [   198.3 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     0.709 MB/s [   173.2 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     0.684 MB/s [   167.0 IOPS]

  Test : 1000 MB [H: 59.3% (1658.4/2794.5 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2013/05/13 10:21:22
    OS : Windows Server 2012 Server Standard Edition (full installation) [6.2 Build 9200] (x64)

ASM1061 with ASM driver

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

           Sequential Read :   104.502 MB/s
          Sequential Write :   100.612 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    27.805 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :    49.150 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     0.289 MB/s [    70.5 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     0.785 MB/s [   191.7 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     0.781 MB/s [   190.8 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     0.726 MB/s [   177.2 IOPS]

  Test : 1000 MB [H: 59.3% (1658.4/2794.5 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2013/05/13 10:08:57
    OS : Windows Server 2012 Server Standard Edition (full installation) [6.2 Build 9200] (x64)
renethx is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 05-13-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

My original question wasn't answered. Why so many drives?
Very simple. As many people here, my home media server is running out of space and I want to move drives from Norco-4020 to a new box (Lian Li D8000) and add more drives there. Hope I can stay with it in 3 - 4 years biggrin.gif
Elpee is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thank you, Renethx.
I just bought a SYBA SI-PEX40064 (Marvell 88SE9215 chip) card and a Syba SY-PEX40039 (ASMedia 1061 chip) card.
I'll test those cards in the next few days when I get them in hand.
Elpee is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 05-14-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 3,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I just saw this posted today:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6026850-SYBA-SY-PEX40039-PCI-Express-2-0-SATA-III-6-0Gb-s-Controller-Card-4-99-AC-AR-Shipped-Newegg-com

Newegg has the Syba SY-PEX40039 PCI-e controller for $4.99 after rebate and coupon code DIYSMMR38 with free shipping.
captain_video is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Damn, I bought them yesterday b4 I saw a good deal today. mad.gif
Anyway, still had $25 off $75 at buy.com yesterday.biggrin.gif
Elpee is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AnthonyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
33 drives would be 132TB for 4 TB drives and 99TB for 3 TB drives.
Even if you planned to do RAID-1 this is still 66TB or 49.5TB

Do you plan on crawling the web for half it's media content? Or, do you plan to back up about 600-1200 Blu-Ray discs? (RAID-1 with half the amount of usable space)..

That's the reason mfusick and I were wondering.
AnthonyB is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 05-15-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 20,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
I'm closing in on 30TB and I've nearly completely ripped every DVD and Bluray I've owned or collected since the 1990's - and I've got tons of complete organized TV shows/recordings.

I also have programs, pictures, backups, music all stored in my server. And I have 4TB free space.

It's taken me a long time to get this big and I fully understand how much I have and how beyond normal it is to have this much or a server like mine.

100TB just blows my mind

-


"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #21 of 24 Old 05-15-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AnthonyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Isn't that about 110TB in RAID-5?

Mfusick, that's called digital hoarding... lol
AnthonyB is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Elpee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

I tested 88SE9125 (not 9215 but close) and AMS1061. Both worked right out of the box (i.e. worked with Microsoft Standard SATA AHCI Controller driver) under Windows Server 2012. AMS1061 also worked with its own driver (1.3.9). (I couldn't find Marvell's own driver for 9125.) CrystalDiskMark (WD 3TB Green):
Code:
88SE9125 with Standard SATA AHCI Controller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

           Sequential Read :   104.513 MB/s
          Sequential Write :    99.552 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    28.165 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :    48.985 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     0.291 MB/s [    70.9 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     0.838 MB/s [   204.5 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     0.702 MB/s [   171.5 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     0.674 MB/s [   164.5 IOPS]

  Test : 1000 MB [H: 59.3% (1658.4/2794.5 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2013/05/13 10:32:34
    OS : Windows Server 2012 Server Standard Edition (full installation) [6.2 Build 9200] (x64)

ASM1061 with Standard SATA AHCI Controller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

           Sequential Read :   104.523 MB/s
          Sequential Write :    99.979 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    27.869 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :    52.005 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     0.286 MB/s [    69.8 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     0.812 MB/s [   198.3 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     0.709 MB/s [   173.2 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     0.684 MB/s [   167.0 IOPS]

  Test : 1000 MB [H: 59.3% (1658.4/2794.5 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2013/05/13 10:21:22
    OS : Windows Server 2012 Server Standard Edition (full installation) [6.2 Build 9200] (x64)

ASM1061 with ASM driver

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

           Sequential Read :   104.502 MB/s
          Sequential Write :   100.612 MB/s
         Random Read 512KB :    27.805 MB/s
        Random Write 512KB :    49.150 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) :     0.289 MB/s [    70.5 IOPS]
   Random Write 4KB (QD=1) :     0.785 MB/s [   191.7 IOPS]
   Random Read 4KB (QD=32) :     0.781 MB/s [   190.8 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KB (QD=32) :     0.726 MB/s [   177.2 IOPS]

  Test : 1000 MB [H: 59.3% (1658.4/2794.5 GB)] (x5)
  Date : 2013/05/13 10:08:57
    OS : Windows Server 2012 Server Standard Edition (full installation) [6.2 Build 9200] (x64)

Renethx, I can confirm both raid cards work jus fine on my window 2012 server (no drivers needed).
Elpee is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 05-23-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 20,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
They should. Most mainstream products work on Microsoft server OSes without much fuss

-


"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #24 of 24 Old 01-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Member
 
rtrg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 4 port SATA controller card for PCI slot. Number SIL3114. Came with cables and driver cd.
The cd is detected the drive is not. Both SATA and IDE are connected in order for the cd to be read. All is well until I open the INSTALL folder. I get an error, "BAD SYNTAX". at every attempt. My intention is to try this drive in this ide desktop to see if there are any usable benefits to it. If yes than I would clone more drives as spares for other desktops both sata and ide. Any solutions? I have a one piece cable adapter that is supposed to be plug and play and clips onto the sata drive to accomplish the same thing. The last one I had had a broken plastic missing that covered the pins. I think that is why it did not work. If the new one does not work I will give up and stay with ide. I do not have any spare ide drives. Any help welcome. Is it possible I got stuck with a bad controller card?. Would a usb powered card be better? Plug and play? Can I add a usb hub or add a usb card? Also plug and play? No ports available.
rtrg is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off