Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a long term Comcast user - now XFINITY user - in California (Silicon Valley - Cupertino).
I just added an AMAZING new VIZIO E series 1080p HDTV to the den - with 2,000,000 dynamic contrast ratio - and a new XFINITY Motorola RNG200N (says Motorola 3501 on the bottom).
I went with the XFINITY HD DVR box as I am waiting for both Intel Haswell and the latest HDHomeRun Prime 4 tuner model to ship - I wanted to get up and RECORDING ASAP ... and did just that in less than 15 minutes!
BEFORE starting this NEW thread ... I did some "searching on the HTPC thread and almost everything is OLD" ... like really old ... so, please redirect this if I am on the wrong thread.
MY questions are as follows:
1) This XFINITY HD DVR supposedly gets 70 hours of HD recordings - and a 500 GB hard drive.
2) This XFINITY "has an eSATA" port - currently disabled in the CA market - I have "read" on the Comcast threads that the plan is "to enable in CA over this summer".
3) IF so, then ONLY a specific WD 1TB drive will allow for AN ADDITIONAL 240 HD recording hours.
4) The recordings are already have are simply "AMAZING QUALITY" - sure looks like 1080p - and I just can't EVER SETTLE FOR LESS QUALITY!
5) ARE THERE OTHER "RECORDING OPTIONS" - like a HDHomeRun Prime, or others" that will be able to record at this quality level?
6) I am guessing that the video "already recording" is NOT EDITABLE and fully encrypted?
Oh yes ... I am a long time Windows Media Center user, so I'd like to hear options that support Windows 7 and 8 "media center".
That should get us started ... I seriously doubt that we are alone in this quest?