Latest External "Recording Options" for Comcast XFINITY in California - May 2013 and going forward? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a long term Comcast user - now XFINITY user - in California (Silicon Valley - Cupertino).

I just added an AMAZING new VIZIO E series 1080p HDTV to the den - with 2,000,000 dynamic contrast ratio - and a new XFINITY Motorola RNG200N (says Motorola 3501 on the bottom).

I went with the XFINITY HD DVR box as I am waiting for both Intel Haswell and the latest HDHomeRun Prime 4 tuner model to ship - I wanted to get up and RECORDING ASAP ... and did just that in less than 15 minutes!

BEFORE starting this NEW thread ... I did some "searching on the HTPC thread and almost everything is OLD" ... like really old ... so, please redirect this if I am on the wrong thread.

MY questions are as follows:

1) This XFINITY HD DVR supposedly gets 70 hours of HD recordings - and a 500 GB hard drive.
2) This XFINITY "has an eSATA" port - currently disabled in the CA market - I have "read" on the Comcast threads that the plan is "to enable in CA over this summer".
3) IF so, then ONLY a specific WD 1TB drive will allow for AN ADDITIONAL 240 HD recording hours.
4) The recordings are already have are simply "AMAZING QUALITY" - sure looks like 1080p - and I just can't EVER SETTLE FOR LESS QUALITY!
5) ARE THERE OTHER "RECORDING OPTIONS" - like a HDHomeRun Prime, or others" that will be able to record at this quality level?
6) I am guessing that the video "already recording" is NOT EDITABLE and fully encrypted?

Oh yes ... I am a long time Windows Media Center user, so I'd like to hear options that support Windows 7 and 8 "media center".

That should get us started ... I seriously doubt that we are alone in this quest?

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
What is recorded on your current boxes is what will be recorded on hdhr. There is no signal transcoding. whatever it receives becomes a file on your pc.

Windows Media Center supports TV, so you are all good to go. Plus, there are no other options for protected media.. If I am wrong, someone will post otherwise..
post #3 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

What is recorded on your current boxes is what will be recorded on hdhr. There is no signal transcoding. whatever it receives becomes a file on your pc.

Windows Media Center supports TV, so you are all good to go.

Thanks for the quick reply ... what is Comcast pushing out these days MPEG2, MP4, H.264, etc.?

Is it "editable" if intercepted via Windows Media 7?

Scott
post #4 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have FiOS, and they are moving to mpeg-4 (I believe). So, can't really speculate much but, I believe the standard will be 4 for all providers
post #5 of 5 Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anywhereanytime View Post

Thanks for the quick reply ... what is Comcast pushing out these days MPEG2, MP4, H.264, etc.?

Is it "editable" if intercepted via Windows Media 7?

Scott

Comcast in Pinole (East Bay) is currently MPEG2, variable frame rate. They do not up convert, if anything, they do some compression to fit a certain bit rate.; so it's max 1080i or 720p depending on what the broadcaster is sending. Your DVR might be doing an upconversion behind your back..

I don't use Windows, but the majority of channels are marked Copy Freely, with only premium channels being restricted (HBO/CineMax/SHO channels are an example).
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page