Audio over HDMI with NVidia GeForce 9300 GE on HP Pavilion s3600t and Windows 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping someone here can help...

I was gifted an HP Pavilion s3600T "Slimline" PC. It has an NVidia GeForce 9300 GE video card. SPDIF is connected internally from the motherboard to the video card. I can't seem to get audio across HDMI to my Panasonic GT50 plasma TV. The guy I got it from said it worked with Vista - but he did a clean install of Windows 8 before I got it.

I've found lots of threads (across the internet) that talk about how there were lots of problems with these video cards getting sound over HDMI. HP doesn't provide any support for Windows 8 on this machine - so most of the fixes talk about patches for Windows 7. I've tried them but they won't install for Windows 8.

I've tried uninstalling video and audio drivers and letting Windows Update do the generic drivers (someone got Win 7 working that way). I've tried combinations of the newest NVidia drivers and the newest Realtek drivers and default Windows drivers. Windows thinks it is playing sounds - but nothing is coming out of the TV. I have the "NVidia HDMI" sound set to the default. I've tried selecting the "Realtek HDMI" sound as the default. I've tried playing CDs, Youtube vids, etc. All show something making the little volume graphic move up and down. Audio never gets to the TV. I put XBMCbuntu on a thumb drive and booted with that and also get no sound.

So, do I install Windows 7 (I have an extra license) and see if I can get that to work? Anybody have any experience with the GeForce 9300 and audio over HDMI under Windows 8? Is it possible my Panasonic is the issue? I don't have anything else with HDMI handy - but I'll try that if anybody thinks it might work. The HP box is from around 2009 and the Panasonic is 2012.

Is the whole thing a lost cause as an HTPC? It has a Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 ((2.53GHz /1066 MHz), 4 GB ram, and a 500 GB drive. I thought this might make a decent entry level HTPC. I really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-13-2013, 03:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
HDMI audio from GeForce 9xxx + onboard S/PDIF should be no problem under any version of Windows. I tested GeForce 9500 GT + Realtek ALC892 + Windows 8 with no problem. Can you hear the test sounds when you click the Test button in Sound panel > Playback tab > Properties of Realtek Digital Output > Sample Rate 44.1 kHz / 48 kHz? If you can't hear sounds, something is wrong (e.g. make sure wiring is correct: S/PDIF to S/PDIF, GND to GND).

Stereo 44.1/48kHz PCM are the only audio formats supported by Realtek+GT50. Every compressed audio format (Dolby Digital etc.) must be decoded by the player and downmixed to stereo before it reaches the audio driver.

"NVidia HDMI" is not the correct audio device (it's the audio device included in GeForce 7100 graphics in the chipset).

post #3 of 3 Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Renthx:

Thanks for the reply. The test button doesn't make any sound on the TV. I'll try your suggestions tonight. Good to know this should work even in Win 8. Thanks for the help!

Chris
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page