2Likes

post #451 of 985 Old 10-17-2013, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbam View Post

I am just trying to figure out how I am supposed to set this up. Do I just run this switch off one of the ports of the router and setup static addresses on the computer and infinitv?

Currently I have dchp running off on my apple airport extreme.

Plug one port of the switch to a port on your router. No need for static ip's as the router will then provide addresses via DHCP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 985 Old 10-17-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Plug one port of the switch to a port on your router. No need for static ip's as the router will then provide addresses via DHCP.
And plug everything (WMC PC, ETH6, extenders, etc) into the switch. Eg. -If you have 7 network devices, then the 8 port switch will be full.

Quote:
Hi. Are you saying to do this on the WMC server only or on any computer that will be playing back shows? I have a computer that is dedicated to just recording and storing the shows, and I have 3 other computers (all are running Win7 SP1) that can play them back from the server. Do these changes need to be made on every computer?

Also, may I ask how did you come up with these changes? I had been working with Ceton to get my system running better and they never proposed anything like the above. I do worry about making changes that have not been thoroughly tested and debugged.

Thanks.

Frank
I got it from this green button post and more good reading (I am TZR916 over there).

You only need to do the driver tweaks on the WMC PC that is doing the recording but it won't hurt to turn off Windows Network Throttling in the registry of all machines.
post #453 of 985 Old 10-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I am just trying to figure out how I am supposed to set this up. Do I just run this switch off one of the ports of the router and setup static addresses on the computer and infinitv?

Currently I have dchp running off on my apple airport extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobb2 View Post

any luck?

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #454 of 985 Old 10-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

any luck?

works all good and fine for the computer yes but for some reason the infinitv is having issues.
post #455 of 985 Old 10-17-2013, 07:21 PM

OK so both the HTPC and infinitv are together on the switch and talking but I am still getting stuttering. I am left with the router being the culprit.
post #456 of 985 Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Anyone want to recommend me some good routers. Do I dare to go with the newest airport extreme?
post #457 of 985 Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:

OK so both the HTPC and infinitv are together on the switch and talking but I am still getting stuttering. I am left with the router being the culprit.

If the htpc and infinitv are both connected to the switch, then no traffic is going to your router...meaning your router isn't the problem. How are your cables?
post #458 of 985 Old 10-18-2013, 02:57 AM

Ok well I changed the cables to some new cables and still have the stuttering effect. I supposed it could be the signal but the tv signal looks fine the rest of the time.
post #459 of 985 Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
haven't see a post yet here on this, but there's a little sale in the works now on the 6 eth, $269 on both newegg and amazon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815706004&Tpk=ceton%20eth

http://slickdeals.net/f/6353538-ceton-echo-windows-media-extender-129-amazon-infinitv-6-eth-cablecard-tuner-269

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #460 of 985 Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

For pixellation especially when using/recording multiple tuners:
● Disable windows network throttling in registry
And disable these network adapter driver settings:
● IPv4 Checksum Offload - Disable
● Large Send Offload (IPv4) - Disable
● TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disable
● UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - Disable

Hey hammerdwn. Are you saying to do this on the WMC server only or on any computer that will be playing back shows? I have a computer that is dedicated to just recording and storing the shows, and I have 3 other computers (all are running Win7 SP1) that can play them back from the server. Do these changes need to be made on every computer?

Also, may I ask how did you come up with these changes? I had been working with Ceton to get my system running better and they never proposed anything like the above. I do worry about making changes that have not been thoroughly tested and debugged.

Thanks.

Frank
post #461 of 985 Old 10-22-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMinMI View Post

Hey hammerdwn. Are you saying to do this on the WMC server only or on any computer that will be playing back shows? I have a computer that is dedicated to just recording and storing the shows, and I have 3 other computers (all are running Win7 SP1) that can play them back from the server. Do these changes need to be made on every computer?

Thanks.

Frank
I got it from this green button post and more good reading (I am TZR916 over there).

I don't playback on other PC's, only extenders. I only did the driver tweaks on the machine that is doing the recording. The idea is to prevent the pixellation from getting into the original recording. If the original is clean then playback on extenders is clean.
post #462 of 985 Old 10-22-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

I don't playback on other PC's, only extenders. I only did the driver tweaks on the machine that is doing the recording. The idea is to prevent the pixellation from getting into the original recording. If the original is clean then playback on extenders is clean.

Thanks. I have made the changes. I have not had this issue yet but better to be safe than sorry.

Frank
post #463 of 985 Old 10-23-2013, 05:10 PM

Just ordered my Ceton 6 ETH from Newegg during the $30 price drop, so I'll be having fun this weekend. I already have a media PC in the bedroom using the Haup dual usb tuner with fios that I have had really good luck with since W8 upgrade from W7. I would lose my tuners most of the time waking up in W7.. but not in W8.

Question is this.... the main media pc in my living room is running W8 now... but with the 8.1 rollout ( which I have updated to successfully on another computer ) I'm thinkng I will update to that before I put the Ceton 6 in my system. Anyone running under those conditions yet? Any issues with 8.1 and the Ceton 6 eth?

I had very few issues activating my cable card the first time with Fios... in fact I didn't even have to talk to anyone.. did it all online... just the way I like it. ;-)

Looking forward to wasting a few hours this weekend on this!
post #464 of 985 Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm running Win 8.1 with the ETH6 just fine. If you do an upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1, you may lose your WMC settings and have to run TV setup again. But if you plan on installing 8.1 before setting it up, it should be straightforward. Good luck getting it set up!
post #465 of 985 Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM

Thanks.... good to see drivers are working with 8.1. I do plan on doing the update to 8.1 before installing the Ceton 6 eth so I won't have to worry about setting the tuners back up. I "assume" I still need to use the Ceton Beta drivers to accomplish tuner pooling though.

My final set up should be two PC's running 8.1 and an xbox 360 using the Ceton's tuners... all wired through gigabyte network. Very rarely would all three systems be on at once so I'm not concerned about not having enough tuners even if I am recording multiple shows. I'm going to keep the bedroom setup separate with the existing Haup dual tuner separate though.
post #466 of 985 Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 AM

Liked: 147
I think the beta drivers and the standard drivers are the same drivers now, but to be safe I would grab the betas.
post #467 of 985 Old 10-24-2013, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
IIRC, you're correct. The beta and non beta drivers right now are the same.
post #468 of 985 Old 10-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Anyone have an issue with the Ceton being plugged in causing a Verizon cable box to hard reboot whenever watching VOD? Just had a service tech out here and he heard of this problem and sure enough unplugging my Infinitv6 stopped the reboots, but obviously I don't want to have to unplug whenever I want to use the FIOS VOD.

He thought it might have something to do with a switch being turned on for Network Bridging but as far as I can tell that issue is only for the 4, and not the 6, which doesnt allow such bridging anyway.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #469 of 985 Old 10-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Was told to try latest firmware, my diag tool told me I had latest one but new ones were posted on Ceton's site (beta and stable are the same now?).

Will see if that helps.

Sam Posten
post #470 of 985 Old 10-25-2013, 10:49 AM

Yes, beta and stable are the same now (at least in version number). I still go with the beta ones, just in case, since their instructions say you have to use the betas to use the network sharing feature.
post #471 of 985 Old 10-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

OK either way the patch did not help. Using VOD with the Ceton connected nukes my FIOS box, hard reboot. Unplug the ceton box (both coax and ethernet) and the video box works fine. I can't explain it but its true.

Sam Posten
post #472 of 985 Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 PM

Open a ticket with the Ceton Corp helpdesk.
post #473 of 985 Old 10-26-2013, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

OK either way the patch did not help. Using VOD with the Ceton connected nukes my FIOS box, hard reboot. Unplug the ceton box (both coax and ethernet) and the video box works fine. I can't explain it but its true.

It looks like this also happens with the InfiniTV 4.
Possible fix mentioned in the second post: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Programming/Ceton-Infinitv4-and-FIOS-On-Demand-Issue/td-p/330495
post #474 of 985 Old 10-26-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

If you haven't already, open a support ticket with us. The InfiniTV has no RF transmitter, and there is no way that it can transmit on the coaxial cable. However, Verizon does something different than other MSOs for VOD - they use MoCA out of their STBs and run the VOD video via IP.My theory right now is that teh Verizon STBs do not like the UPNP announcements from the InfiniTV, and are crashing when processing them.

We've made contact with Verizon on this, but need to get a few users who are experiencing this. Please PM me your ticket number once it is opened.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #475 of 985 Old 10-27-2013, 12:45 PM

Well... I'm up and running with my new ETH 6 install... almost. ;-)

A few points of interest.. and questions:.

1) Installation of ETH 6 and pairing of cable card through online Verizon tool went off w/o any issues and I'm watching ALL my channels.

2) Whenever I launch Windows Media Center, a message pops up saying, "Unable to launch Ceton Otay". I've googled that and on the Green Button someone says to remove and reinstall MMC Services. Haven't tried that yet... not real sure if I need to since all seems to be working. What is Ceton Otay?

3) When running Ceton Diagnostics, I have all green ck boxes under the cable card tab with the exception of, " Cable CARD has not received a validation signal... ask them to send a CCV signal" Yet again, everything seems to be working, but I'm curious if I'm missing out on something. In my brief research of that so far I did see mention that the card may not receive that signal unless the Ceton Box is plugged directly into the Verizon router.... which it is NOT. It's plugged into an Asus wireless AC router with all other extenders I will be eventually setting up hardwired into it. That router is plugged into the Verizon fios router.... but what happens if I never receive the CCV signal?

Of note... I did have to upgrade firmware on the unit that arrived on Friday to get rid of "blocking" on pretty much every channel.

So far... I'm happy... just need to iron out a few kinks.
post #476 of 985 Old 10-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

If you haven't already, open a support ticket with us. The InfiniTV has no RF transmitter, and there is no way that it can transmit on the coaxial cable. However, Verizon does something different than other MSOs for VOD - they use MoCA out of their STBs and run the VOD video via IP.My theory right now is that teh Verizon STBs do not like the UPNP announcements from the InfiniTV, and are crashing when processing them.

We've made contact with Verizon on this, but need to get a few users who are experiencing this. Please PM me your ticket number once it is opened.

I have an open ticket, will PM you regarding this. Thanks.

Thanks Ken.F, will check your link too.

Sam Posten
post #477 of 985 Old 10-27-2013, 05:52 PM

Update as I continue to research...

Got rid of the Ceton Otay pop up message when launching Windows media center by finding a direct link to a beta program on the Green Button that I didn't even see on Ceton's web site. Now I can get into the Ceton media center program and the error message is gone when launching WMC.

I've set up one "pooling" W8 computer so far and it is streaming high def fine.. but geeze is it slow to grab a signal when changing channels. I'm talking 10 or 15 seconds. But once it does lock on it's crystal clear and no blocking. I am on a wired gigabyte network btw.

Come to find out I'm not able to get my HBO channels afterall..... says I need a subscription... sometimes it pops up that I need to call the cable company and activate my card.. then it resorts back to the subscription screen. I believe this is tied to the fact I still have the red X saying my cable company needs to send me a CCV signal. HBO works fine on my Haup dual tuner setup on my other computer. Oh well... enough for tonight.... but so far so good in regards to the main PC hooked up to the Ceton ETH6... I set up 4 overlapping programs to record on various channels for a test earlier today and got every one of them.
post #478 of 985 Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 AM

After a few bounces within Verizon tech support I am finally 100% up and running as far as getting my all my channels set up. The first guy was no help, and escalated me to "billing" department... wth.... then they sent me to a second level guy who asked me to reboot my computer to see if it fixed it. I refused... and just told him to send out a "CCV" signal... which he had no clue what that was. So I just asked him re-pair my card based off my s.n on the cable card and as soon as he did that.... my HBO showed up.

But this morning I awoke to no tuners... ahhh... the fun begins. I went into the Ceton diagnostics program and cleared and re-discovered my tuners and they're back on my two PC's I'm using with the ETH6, so not quite sure what happened. Hopefully just a one time thing.. not sure if I ever power cycled the box after the latest firmware upgrade so maybe that was it and I have since done that.

It's still pretty dang slow when changing channels... especially when going to HBO. But as I mentioned.. once I do grab the channel it is crystal clear with no "blocking" on the picture. Not sure if having everything plugged in to my ASUS AC Router, which is in turn plugged in to the fios router could be causing the delay in a "handshake" of some sort. But for now... I'm gonna leave it as is and enjoy taking my two Verizon boxes back to the store today and saving $30 a month.
post #479 of 985 Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by danxmanly View Post

But this morning I awoke to no tuners... ahhh... the fun begins. I went into the Ceton diagnostics program and cleared and re-discovered my tuners and they're back on my two PC's I'm using with the ETH6, so not quite sure what happened. Hopefully just a one time thing.. not sure if I ever power cycled the box after the latest firmware upgrade so maybe that was it and I have since done that.
I've had to go through this process several times now. Once around July 4th, once a few weeks ago, and again this weekend. WMC on PC#1 lost access to the Ceton tuners, J River Media Center on PC#2 was able to use the tuners. Using the clear / rediscover buttons in the Ceton Diagnostics utility and then setting the tuners up in WMC fixed it each time, but it's a nuisance. Another poster claimed that getting rid of J River Media Center fixed the problem completely for him, but he was seeing the problem VERY frequently. It's still not clear to me if this is a WMC problem, a Ceton driver problem, a PC problem (such as network drivers), a Ceton ETH problem, or something else.
Quote:
It's still pretty dang slow when changing channels... especially when going to HBO. But as I mentioned.. once I do grab the channel it is crystal clear with no "blocking" on the picture. Not sure if having everything plugged in to my ASUS AC Router, which is in turn plugged in to the fios router could be causing the delay in a "handshake" of some sort. But for now... I'm gonna leave it as is and enjoy taking my two Verizon boxes back to the store today and saving $30 a month.
Check your signal strength in the Ceton web page for your tuners (on the Diagnostics Utility, go to the Devices tab, then click the "Go to InfiniTV Device Webpage" button, from there you will find tabs for each tuner which will show signal strengths). If it's too strong (or too weak), it can take a while for the tuning to lock in. If too strong, get a coax signal attenuator rated for the number of dB to get your average signal strength across all channels as close to 0dB as possible. If it's too weak, a coax signal amp of the appropriate rating to get as close to 0dB as possible may help.
post #480 of 985 Old 10-28-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danxmanly View Post

Reboot the HTPC and, while it is shutting down, unplug the Eth6. Wait 10 real seconds and plug the Eth back in, it will be ready before the HTPC is back up and ready for use. Wait a minute after the HTPC is ready for it to reconnect to the Eth6 and then everything should be good. Ceton told me to ensure I reboot the HTPC each time I power cycle the Eth6
Quote:

Like gsr said, check your signal strength. I did some testing with various strength attenuators and found that being close to 0dB is the best place to be. FiOS notoriously runs hot, so you most likely will need to attenuate the signal.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page