Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 958 Old 11-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Not really. If your most important criterion is stability and dependability, I'd say go with a cable-company DVR. You give up features and user interface, but it is the most likely to "just work".

If you like to tinker with things, then going with an HTPC and either Ceton or SiliconDust is fine. I think SiliconDust may have a slight edge with stability, but they do not have a 6-tuner model. Either way, with a HTPC you are going to have a lot more knobs to turn. Which can be a blessing or a curse. But even with all the additional configuration options, you can still run into a sort of glass ceiling, where you cannot fix issues yourself and find yourself cursing Microsoft (for WMC issues) or Ceton or SiliconDust (for firmware or hardware issues).

I do not have a TiVo Roamio, I have an older model. So I don't know how stable the Roamio can be. But my advice would be to spend some time trying to figure out why the Roamio is having problems. Is it power related, cable card related, or cable signal related? Or is it definitely a problem with the Roamio firmware or hardware?

Setting up a Ceton or SiliconDust HTPC is going to take a lot of time, and it would be frustrating to go through all that trouble and find out that the problem was not the TiVo itself. So, that is my recommendation. First spend some time trying to troubleshoot and narrow down the source of the problem with the TiVo.
post #543 of 958 Old 11-16-2013, 05:20 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

Not really. If your most important criterion is stability and dependability, I'd say go with a cable-company DVR. You give up features and user interface, but it is the most likely to "just work".

If you like to tinker with things, then going with an HTPC and either Ceton or SiliconDust is fine. I think SiliconDust may have a slight edge with stability, but they do not have a 6-tuner model. Either way, with a HTPC you are going to have a lot more knobs to turn. Which can be a blessing or a curse. But even with all the additional configuration options, you can still run into a sort of glass ceiling, where you cannot fix issues yourself and find yourself cursing Microsoft (for WMC issues) or Ceton or SiliconDust (for firmware or hardware issues).
While you certainly make some good points (and I agree that a HTPC DVR is not for everyone), it's pretty much guaranteed that one would be cursing the cable company due to limitations in the number of tuners, storage capacity, and overall DVR functionality with a cable company supplied DVR.

Someone who is reasonably computer savvy shouldn't have much trouble getting a WMC system up and running (especially on a cable system where tuning adapters aren't needed), but someone who isn't somewhat computer savvy shouldn't go there. Just as an example, there's no way I would recommend that my parents go down this path. wink.gif
post #544 of 958 Old 11-16-2013, 06:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by multi007 View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm new the site and found this thread while searching for this 6 tuner card when tekzilla did a review.  I have been having problems with a few tivos in my home (random lock ups) my tivo roamio specifically, and am think about throwing in the towel and build my own (buy?) a HTCP with this infinittv 6 for the tuner.

However I am a total noob when it comes to HTPC.  I have several questions.

1.  the Infinitv6 ETH - I see it is not connected to the pc directly, but to the switch.   How does the video get recorded?   Is the switch sending the cable signal to a pc of my choosing?
2.  if #1 is yes, then how does live tv get to my tv set from my pc?  Is that where the echo comes in?  (Im guessing the Infinitv6 send signal to pc, then the pc sends live signal to echo - which is connected to my tv?
3)  Can I have 2 inifititv 6 connected to my network?  I do alot of hd recording...   My network is 100. 
4)  Is there a recommended pc to use? low power and stable?  
5)  Are there any issues with the inifity6 locking up requiring a reboot of my pc?  (I do this now with my tivo roamio and i miss lots of recordings because of this)

Thanks for your help. 

Major noob here.   (although I do know what im doing in the world of pc's...)
Joe

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) ETH interfaces with the PC(s) you decide to use (the PC must have windows media center installed or a similar application). Your cable goes to the ETH which has a cablecard. Then the PCs links up to the ETH and secures a tuner from it when it comes time to record a show. The video is transmitted from the ETH to that PC via the network and stored on that PCs HD.

2) If the PC is connected to your TV, you just use the TV as a monitor and play back using WMC or some other program that can display the WMV files. Otherwise you use the Echo via a WIRED ethernet connection and your TV input (HDMI). HOWEVER you need a gigabit switch between Ceton and the PC(s). 10/100 will not cut it.

3) I cannot answer that question. You need to ask Ceton...

4) All the minimum requirements are posted on their site.

5) I have established a daily reboot of my PC that records all the shows and a monthly reboot of the ETH. Since I did that, I have not had a single issue recording or playing back. Doing the computer is easy - many programs are available to reboot it. And I set the BIOS to power on in case of a power failure. The ETH has to be done manually. But given its 6 tuners and single cablecard, it is worth it compared to the previous system/costs.

Good luck in the decision!

Frank
Michigan
post #545 of 958 Old 11-16-2013, 08:54 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

2.  if #1 is yes, then how does live tv get to my tv set from my pc?  Is that where the echo comes in?  (Im guessing the Infinitv6 send signal to pc, then the pc sends live signal to echo - which is connected to my tv?
Another option is to use an XBOX 360 as an extender instead of the Echo.
Quote:
3)  Can I have 2 inifititv 6 connected to my network?  I do alot of hd recording...   My network is 100. 
Yes, I have 2 InfiniTV 6 ETH's setup. I also have a pair of the SiliconDust HDHomerun dual OTA HD tuners, giving me access to a total of 16 tuners. Additionally, the Ceton tuners are also shared with another PC that also runs WMC.
Quote:
5)  Are there any issues with the inifity6 locking up requiring a reboot of my pc?  (I do this now with my tivo roamio and i miss lots of recordings because of this)
The answer to this is that it depends. Some people seem to be having absolutely no problems, while others have mild or more serious issues. Like everything else when dealing with a PC, there are a TON of variables involved as there are so many hardware combinations possible, so YMMV. Since switching from a pair of InfiniTV 4 PCIe's to the pair of InfiniTV 6 ETH's when they first came out over the summer, I've had to reboot the PC a few times and have had to re-setup the tuners on that PC a few times as the PC lost the ability to use the tuners. I've decided to start rebooting the PC once a week in the middle of the night when it's very unlikely that I would be either using it or have a recording active to see if that resolves the problem.
post #546 of 958 Old 11-16-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:

It appears that most of the issues are with the ETH6. My PCIe6 is very stable and I don't reboot my pc on a schedule. I don't see too many others complaining about the PCIe6 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2100 View Post

When I had Comcast, I had to replace my DVR at least once a year because of the hard drive dying. The same happened with my Dish Network DVR. It gets pretty old losing all your recordings and it definitely pisses off the wife. I don't think I have to worry about that anymore with my WMC pc w/ RAID mirroring. Its also a piece of cake to add more storage when needed.
post #547 of 958 Old 11-17-2013, 03:54 AM

Thanks Jim, gsr, Frank, and Jlobb !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsr View Post

it's pretty much guaranteed that one would be cursing the cable company due to limitations in the number of tuners, storage capacity, and overall DVR functionality with a cable company supplied DVR.

This is true - my cable co dvr has a 120 gig (yes - GIG) hard drive - which allows for whopping 20 hours of hd recording, its only 2 tuners, and they would charge $10 per month.  After the 4th day of use, my dvr will be filled up.  Unless I can open the case and image/install a new 2 Terabyte hard drive, the cable co dvr is a non starter.  Heck even ATT total room dvr wont work because you are only allow to own 1 - i would need 3 just for the storage capacity - which they dont allow - and it STILL Would not be enough storage for me.  Having 6 terrabyes of storage would be great as I record season passes of practically everythging I like as I have no time to watch tv until the summer months.

Quote:
especially on a cable system where tuning adapters aren't needed,

That would be me :)  TA is not needed on my system. 

Based on the other responses, it seems that the infinitv pcie6 would be the way to go - seems reliable. 

When Tekzilla did a review, they said they had the pcie6 in an i3 box , and when he had all 6 channels recording hd, the processor hit 7% usage.  Even though the specs are on their site, has anyone else have this kind of performance?

Has anyone installed 2 pcei6 on the same pc?  or am I destined (suggested) to use 2 pc's - one for each pcie6?

Thanks again for all the advice!

post #548 of 958 Old 11-17-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:

This is true - my cable co dvr has a 120 gig (yes - GIG) hard drive - which allows for whopping 20 hours of hd recording, its only 2 tuners, and they would charge $10 per month.  After the 4th day of use, my dvr will be filled up.  Unless I can open the case and image/install a new 2 Terabyte hard drive, the cable co dvr is a non starter.  Heck even ATT total room dvr wont work because you are only allow to own 1 - i would need 3 just for the storage capacity - which they dont allow - and it STILL Would not be enough storage for me.  Having 6 terrabyes of storage would be great as I record season passes of practically everythging I like as I have no time to watch tv until the summer months.

That would be me smile.gif  TA is not needed on my system. 

Based on the other responses, it seems that the infinitv pcie6 would be the way to go - seems reliable. 

When Tekzilla did a review, they said they had the pcie6 in an i3 box , and when he had all 6 channels recording hd, the processor hit 7% usage.  Even though the specs are on their site, has anyone else have this kind of performance?

Has anyone installed 2 pcei6 on the same pc?  or am I destined (suggested) to use 2 pc's - one for each pcie6?

Thanks again for all the advice!

I currently have mine in a Dell OptiPlex 755 tower. Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz with 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD for OS, and 2 - 2TB (RAID 1) for Recording. It records 6 at a time no problem. I'm getting ready to upgrade to a i3 system soon so I can take advantage of SATAIII and drives larger than 2TB. I stream to two xbox extenders wired all connected to the same GB switch.
post #549 of 958 Old 11-17-2013, 05:02 AM

wow - so the core 2 duo works nice huh?  Looks like the i3 will handle it with no problems then.   I've got some thinking to do, Thanks for everything.

post #550 of 958 Old 11-17-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:

wow - so the core 2 duo works nice huh?  Looks like the i3 will handle it with no problems then.   I've got some thinking to do, Thanks for everything.

Recording 6 shows at once and streaming another previously recorded show to an xbox extender has the cpu averaging around 30%.
post #551 of 958 Old 11-17-2013, 07:25 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

Not exactly what you're asking, but before upgrading to my current pair of InfiniTV 6 ETH's, I had a pair of InfiniTV 4 PCIe's installed in my PC and they worked just fine together. I would expect a pair of InfiniTV 6 PCIe's to coexist just as well.
post #552 of 958 Old 11-18-2013, 06:02 AM

Not sure if it was already answered, but why would anyone want the PCIe version over the network version, since they are similar in price?

I currently own the quad PCIe version and sick of having to restart the HTPC/server I have it installed in. I also don't like the fact that if that machine goes down, I have no TV in the whole house. The network version seems to be the solution to all of this, but I still wonder... why would people still want the PCIe version? I'm sure there's a valid reason, as Ceton wouldn't come out with it if there was no market for it.

The answer to this question may help my decision smile.gif Thanks!
post #553 of 958 Old 11-18-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post

Not sure if it was already answered, but why would anyone want the PCIe version over the network version, since they are similar in price?

I currently own the quad PCIe version and sick of having to restart the HTPC/server I have it installed in. I also don't like the fact that if that machine goes down, I have no TV in the whole house. The network version seems to be the solution to all of this, but I still wonder... why would people still want the PCIe version? I'm sure there's a valid reason, as Ceton wouldn't come out with it if there was no market for it.

I personally prefer the PCIe as it's inside my HTPC PC, though I can understand the appeal of network tuners, I have so many InfiniTVs floating around that it's largely negated for me.
gonzo90017 likes this.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #554 of 958 Old 11-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

I personally prefer the PCIe as it's inside my HTPC PC, though I can understand the appeal of network tuners, I have so many InfiniTVs floating around that it's largely negated for me.

But then it's DEPENDENT on that PC, though. =/
That's my thing... I have way too many issues between the Ceton card and my HDMI receiver that I'd rather just get a networked device, but don't have $300 to spend just yet.
post #555 of 958 Old 11-18-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

If you haven't already, open a support ticket with us. The InfiniTV has no RF transmitter, and there is no way that it can transmit on the coaxial cable. However, Verizon does something different than other MSOs for VOD - they use MoCA out of their STBs and run the VOD video via IP.My theory right now is that teh Verizon STBs do not like the UPNP announcements from the InfiniTV, and are crashing when processing them.

We've made contact with Verizon on this, but need to get a few users who are experiencing this. Please PM me your ticket number once it is opened.

FYI Verizon has identified the cause of this issue and it should be resolved on their side soon.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #556 of 958 Old 11-18-2013, 04:05 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post

All our TVs are independent of each other (no network), so using the InfiniTV network version would simply constitute another piece of equipment taking up shelf or floor space.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #557 of 958 Old 11-23-2013, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMinMI View Post

Here are my answers to your questions:

5) I have established a daily reboot of my PC that records all the shows and a monthly reboot of the ETH. Since I did that, I have not had a single issue recording or playing back. Doing the computer is easy - many programs are available to reboot it. And I set the BIOS to power on in case of a power failure. The ETH has to be done manually. But given its 6 tuners and single cablecard, it is worth it compared to the previous system/costs.

Good luck in the decision!

Frank
Michigan

I thought about this and found a way to reboot from a powershell script. Not the same as a manual power cycle but might be sufficient.
Code:
$wc = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
$wc.UploadStringAsync("http://192.168.0.212/command.cgi", "cmd=reboot")
post #558 of 958 Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Ceton support contacted me to let us know that Verizon was deploying a box firmware upgrade that would stop the lockups when watching VOD while having an infinitv 6 running on the same network.

I'm happy to report no lock ups watching VOD last night!! So looks like that is solved!

Sam

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #559 of 958 Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 AM

Did you have to request the patch from Verizon or was it automatic? What patch version are you on?
post #560 of 958 Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 AM

I find the most efficient use of time for this is to tell the PC to reboot, then unplug the Ceton. The PC is not back into Windows yet when you plug the Ceton back in. 1 or 2 seconds later the Ceton is ready for use, but Windows will still need some time - even with an SSD as the boot drive.

AdMfwx
post #561 of 958 Old 11-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

The first sale of the holiday season has arrived, infinitv 6, $249 at both newegg and Amazon. For those watchers out there, and those needing a second one.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #562 of 958 Old 11-27-2013, 04:18 PM

I think that's a pretty good price. I expected it to go on sale for $269 on Black Friday.
post #563 of 958 Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
it figures. I just ordered one yesterday for the $299 regular price. I sent an e-mail to Newegg customer service to see if they'd credit the difference on my order, but I'd be surprised if I hear anything back until Friday at the earliest. Chances are they'll tell me to RMA the unit and purchase another one at the sale price. Problem is, they could be sold out by the time I hear back. I decided to go ahead and order another one at the $249 price and return the first one if they won't honor the sale price or sell it on ebay at that price if they will.

I'm currently running dual InfiniTV 4's in my primary HTPC with a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime as backup that provides tuners to other HTPCs. Eight cablecard tuners in the HTPC is overkill and six hits the sweet spot for my setup. I'm renting a Verizon HD box for the master bedroom and I wanted to replace it with a Samsung GX-SM530CF smart media player/digital cable converter that uses a cablecard. I can free up one cablecard by eliminating the two InfiniTV 4's and replacing it with a single InfiniTV 6. I need a box that can tune to cable channels I subscribe to without going through a WMC interface. The wife uses a Verizon HD box in the bedroom and it's costing me $11.99 per month to use it. I should at least break even on the InfiniTV 6 if I sell the two InfiniTV 4's on ebay and the Samsung box will pay for itself in less than a year.
post #564 of 958 Old 11-27-2013, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I think it has the "Iron Egg" guarantee so they should at least give you Newegg credit.
post #565 of 958 Old 11-28-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I just read about the Iron Egg Guarantee. I don't want the store credit, just the cash. Looks like I'll be asking for an RMA to send it back.
post #566 of 958 Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Newegg is offering up an additional 5% off from 12-6 PST, when using their mobile app, I got busy yesterday and didn't get around to placing my order, lucky me, $237.50.

Forgot to add the code, MBLBF5.

post #567 of 958 Old 11-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I'm currently running dual InfiniTV 4's in my primary HTPC with a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime as backup that provides tuners to other HTPCs. Eight cablecard tuners in the HTPC

That's all you got? GSR is running two inifinitv' 6 ETH, your a light weight. tongue.gif

post #568 of 958 Old 11-28-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

That's all you got? GSR is running two inifinitv' 6 ETH, your a light weight. tongue.gif
That only makes 12 tuners. I'm also running a HDHomeRun Dual and a pair of Hauppauge 2250's. With two InfiniTV 4's and a HDHomeRun Prime that gives me a total of 17 available tuners. Who's the lightweight now, Bubba? tongue.gif
post #569 of 958 Old 11-28-2013, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

biggrin.gif , I'll have 10 tuners, once the ETH is up and running, but I plan to retire the infinitve 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #570 of 958 Old 11-28-2013, 07:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

That only makes 12 tuners. I'm also running a HDHomeRun Dual and a pair of Hauppauge 2250's. With two InfiniTV 4's and a HDHomeRun Prime that gives me a total of 17 available tuners. Who's the lightweight now, Bubba? tongue.gif
I've got 2 InfiniTV 6 ETH's, 2 SiliconDust HDHomeruns (so that's 4 OTA tuners) for WMC use, plus 4 internal dual HD OTA tuners for my BeyondTV system (which is used mostly as a "backup" in case the WMC system has issues with anything that's on OTA channels). The 2 InfiniTV 6 ETH's are shared with another WMC box, but it rarely uses more than 1 or 2 tuners at a time. So that's a total of 24 available tuners. biggrin.gif

What really matters though is that I have more than enough tuners to cover any recording / Live TV situation I'm likely to ever encounter.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page