3Likes

Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

Unfortunately most of that is typical Echo wacky behavior. Suggestions (if you are not already)-
Don't turn the Echo Off, just press STOP and leave it at the guide or recorded tv screen.
Plug wmc pc, tuner, extenders into a gigabit switch, not a router.
Use 64 bit Win7 and get more than 4GB ram.
Use an SSD for OS, not just a separate partition on a big HHD.

Other than leaving it on all the time (not acceptable), I have all the other stuff done. I wasn't sure if there was a newer firmware for the Echo (not even sure if it is upgradeable) or if you can do stuff like fixed IP address, etc that would improve performance.

Thanks for the reply and Happy New Year.

Frank
Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I long since left Ceton due to stability issues with both the Echo and InfiniTV6 ETH. However, I found that setting DHCP Reservation based on MAC address AND turning off STP on switches helped the Echo recover faster.
FMinMI likes this.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got my HTPC (win7), WMC, Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH(last non-beta driver and updated fw) and TW CableCard setup and authorized. I successfully recorded a number of movies, played them back, stopped just before the end of each then deleted them.

My TW router is a little buggy so I rebooted it then ceton diags did not see the ETH. The ETH is connected to a switch that goes to the various wired pc's and the TW router goes to the switch. So then I rebooted the ETH and evrything showed ok in the diagnostics, but not under the 6 tuner tabs. They said WMDRM RED, TUNER STOPPED and no signal. When I try live tv in WMC it says NO AVAILABLE TUNERS, but I only have 1 show recorded and deleted the 2 that were scheduled.

Is there something I need to do with the ETH or WMC or my PC to free up my 6 tuners?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Red means you have not successfully run play ready. You should also run digital cable advisor if you haven't already.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 PM

When I first setup everything I was getting the windows Play Ready problem, but then I fixed that and everything then went as described. I have not seen any msgs relating to Play Ready again. How do I know if that is really it?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickCardo View Post

When I first setup everything I was getting the windows Play Ready problem, but then I fixed that and everything then went as described. I have not seen any msgs relating to Play Ready again. How do I know if that is really it?

Thanks
Red means you have a DRM problem which means play ready is broken again or you never really fixed it. You might also need to do this: http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivit.asp (IE only)
Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the link MAVEJ, but before I run it you need to know I just successfully tested a Microsoft DRM wma sample in Media Player. Does that make any difference in your suggestion?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's part of it. You probably don't need the web site I linked then. But the fact remains WMDRM is in the red. As long as that's the case your recordings will never be reliable. Play ready update is the only other way I know of to fix it. You don't have to take my word for it. Open a case with Ceton.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 AM

Thanks for all your help MDAVEJ. From my online research this Play Ready stuff can be a major headache using WMC. I think I'll take your advice and open a case with Ceton.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

That's part of it. You probably don't need the web site I linked then. But the fact remains WMDRM is in the red. As long as that's the case your recordings will never be reliable. Play ready update is the only other way I know of to fix it. You don't have to take my word for it. Open a case with Ceton.

MDAVEJ

Ceton had me do a diagnostic scan then reconfigure & reset the tuners & Startup TV again in WMC and everything was ok. I guess they are like most tech support and just reboot stuff first.

They also complained about my BitDefender even though I've disabled the firewall part of it. They suggest if problem again to uninstall it then rediagnose. I guess they always take the easiest (for them) route.

Thanks again
Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad it worked out. Is WMDMR green now?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Yes. All 6 are green and I've scheduled several future movies. Also, the previously recorded movie is still there and playable (whew!).
Old 01-06-2014, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

I'm paring/activating my cable card as I type this for my ETH, I didn't make to Comcast during the week as I had hoped, and dropped by the office today, what a mistake, I got a number at 3:44, and at 5:20, I was walking out the door. yep, over an hour and half. And I have Live TV now in my office off the ETH, at least the activation/paring was painless.

I returned my other cable card to Comcast, wait time, about 10 minutes, I was dreading this trip, but it worked out.

So far, ETH is doing great, haven't recorded much, waiting for all the shows to come back this month. I had a couple of hick ups, but one has me scratching my head, twice one of my pc's had pixilated images, but the other two PC's did not, reboot of the eth resolved the problem. I was using a crappy old Cat5 cable when doing my initial testing. Figured that might have been part of the issue, but I was scratching my head as to why it only happened on PC.

Question, because of all the stupid wall wart plugs, I couldn't plug my eth into my UPS, so, what do you guys think about plugging something like this into the UPS, http://www.amazon.com/APC-P6GC-Power-Saving-Essential-SurgeArrest/dp/B002K8U0WI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1389016136&sr=8-4&keywords=power+strip+timer. I only want to plug in my ETH, and I hope to be able to set a timer on the power strip to essentially reboot the eth once a week. I'll try to find a non surge version of the power strip, as I've read that should be ok, but I need to find one with a timer.

other wise, I'll just plug the timer directly into the wall receptacle.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM

Liked: 150
In reference to the "no tuners" error plaguing so many, I noticed something today. I have that issue where, every 2 weeks or so, I lose my tuners...they are still there and able to be reached by other PCs, just not the main HTPC. Today I tried to move a new ISO I created from a movie to the HTPC and my desktop could not see it. I checked it and it was up and I could hit the Internet. This is not the first time it has happened, so I rebooted my desktop PC...no change. I decided to check for new RealTek PCIe GBE Family drivers and found one. I was running the 7.69 (March 2013)and there is a 7.77 version out there from the end of December 2013. I tried to download it and it failed from all their links.

Undeterred, I searched for the download name and found it on several other sites...all of which failed as well (error: could not download file). Odd, I thought to myself, a very odd networking issue.

I rebooted the HTPC and the download was fast from RealTek's website, which failed before. I am installing it now, but I wonder if the previous drivers had an issue and that issue is what is causing the "No Tuner" error as well. It at least seems plausible....and I am hopeful. I will let you know in a few weeks, hopefully!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

In reference to the "no tuners" error plaguing so many, I noticed something today. I have that issue where, every 2 weeks or so, I lose my tuners...they are still there and able to be reached by other PCs, just not the main HTPC. Today I tried to move a new ISO I created from a movie to the HTPC and my desktop could not see it. I checked it and it was up and I could hit the Internet. This is not the first time it has happened, so I rebooted my desktop PC...no change. I decided to check for new RealTek PCIe GBE Family drivers and found one. I was running the 7.69 (March 2013)and there is a 7.77 version out there from the end of December 2013. I tried to download it and it failed from all their links.

Undeterred, I searched for the download name and found it on several other sites...all of which failed as well (error: could not download file). Odd, I thought to myself, a very odd networking issue.

I rebooted the HTPC and the download was fast from RealTek's website, which failed before. I am installing it now, but I wonder if the previous drivers had an issue and that issue is what is causing the "No Tuner" error as well. It at least seems plausible....and I am hopeful. I will let you know in a few weeks, hopefully!

Realtek NIC's are crap, that's why all the oem's using them, cheap. But let me now how it goes, I just remembered, I have a nice Intel nic in my box of spare parts, if I start having issues, I'll give it a go in one of my rigs.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Realtek NIC's are flaky, but I assume cheap, that's why all the oem's use them, otherwise we'd see more intel or broadcom, But let me now how it goes, I just remembered, I have a nice Intel nic in my box of spare parts, if I start having issues, I'll give it a go in one of my rigs.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

When I first got my ETH6, I had many problems, the lost tuners being the most prevalent. I tried a number of things but to no avail -- I kept losing the network connection on just my WMC computer, an Asus CM5570. I tried installing the latest drivers for not only the network card but also the video card and motherboard, as well as a BIOS update, changing the ethernet cable and changing the router port. No good. Then I started playing around with the network settings. Don't turn off, don't go to sleep, etc.. Still lost the tuners after anywhere from 2 to 20 hours.

Thinking it was the Ceton stuff I had just added, I decided to use a backup image from BEFORE adding any Ceton software. After 1/2 day, I lost the network connection. And then yet again the next morning. Based on that, I deduced it had nothing to do with Ceton software. I was going to do a clean Win7 install as well as add a new PCI ethernet card but because the CPU was underrated based on Ceton's web page I decided to get a new WMC computer (i5, 8GB, SSD OS, 1TB storage). Since then I have not had a network issue, just a couple failures on recording. I do however reboot that computer daily at 5PM and manually cycle the ETH6 every month.

I realize that buying a new desktop can be expensive but make sure your computer meets / exceeds what Ceton says is needed to run 6 tuners. If it does, going to a PCI ethernet card might be your next step if the drivers for the on-board one does not correct the problem -- they are pretty cheap.

Good luck!

Frank
Old 01-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Realtek NIC's are crap, that's why all the oem's using them, cheap. But let me now how it goes, I just remembered, I have a nice Intel nic in my box of spare parts, if I start having issues, I'll give it a go in one of my rigs.

Make sure it is a 10/100/1000, not just a 10/100...
Old 01-09-2014, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have an Intel NIC in my HTPC VM and I've never lost a tuner. I think I've lost them maybe once or twice on my office PC with a Realtek NIC, so it could be possible.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMinMI View Post

Make sure it is a 10/100/1000, not just a 10/100...

yep, I'm all gig, make no mistake, and you got my quote before I made the change, lol. As far as my htpc's are concerned, my rigs are aging, and I wonder if that has anything to do with my good fortune. My main PC is a G33 chipset, from 2009, I was running an E5200 CPU, but just upgraded last week to a q8200S I had laying around, along with a single 4gb dimm and asus passively cooled GT430, its a funky MB, DTX, with a single memory dim and two PCi e slots, but I love this PC, it is rock solid, almost 5 year's old and it's still kicking with it's newly upgraded CPU.

Regarding my CPU upgrade, I had pulled the CPU from my main PC that I upgraded a year ago with a xeon X3360. I had though it was a q8200 CPU, 95 watt, and I was going to sell it on ebay, only to realize it was a q8200s 65 watt, and I was like hot damn, I can upgrade my HPTC with this since it can only hold a 65 watt CPU. amazing so far at the increase in performance.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:

yep, I'm all gig, make no mistake, and you got my quote before I made the change, lol. As far as my htpc's are concerned, my rigs are aging, and I wonder if that has anything to do with my good fortune. My main PC is a G33 chipset, from 2009, I was running an E5200 CPU, but just upgraded last week to a q8200S I had laying around, along with a single 4gb dimm and asus passively cooled GT430, its a funky MB, DTX, with a single memory dim and two PCi e slots, but I love this PC, it is rock solid, almost 5 year's old and it's still kicking with it's newly upgraded CPU.

Regarding my CPU upgrade, I had pulled the CPU from my main PC that I upgraded a year ago with a xeon X3360. I had though it was a q8200 CPU, 95 watt, and I was going to sell it on ebay, only to realize it was a q8200s 65 watt, and I was like hot damn, I can upgrade my HPTC with this since it can only hold a 65 watt CPU. amazing so far at the increase in performance.

I up'ed the CM5570 to a 6600. But Ceton said that was not good enough, especially with only 4 GB memory - not if you want to record HD on all channels. The i5-3300 Gateway I bought was only $349, doubled the memory (plus it is faster) and more than doubled the Mark CPU score plus gave me a better PS and more USBs to boot. I couldn't find the 8200s in the CPU benchmark, only a 8200, and that CPU was pretty close to my 6600 in benchmarks.

I would definitely try another NIC and see if that fixes your problem...

Frank
Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I up'ed the CM5570 to a 6600. But Ceton said that was not good enough, especially with only 4 GB memory - not if you want to record HD on all channels. The i5-3300 Gateway I bought was only $349, doubled the memory (plus it is faster) and more than doubled the Mark CPU score plus gave me a better PS and more USBs to boot. I couldn't find the 8200s in the CPU benchmark, only a 8200, and that CPU was pretty close to my 6600 in benchmarks.

I would definitely try another NIC and see if that fixes your problem...

Frank

Was that a Q6600 or E6600? The E6600 has a slightly better passmark score as the E5200, I would guess if you were using this as your main PC with extenders, you might have some issues, but as a stand alone box, it would be more than enough for multiple HD recordings, worked well for me with two tuners at least, and I know for a fact that I've recorded two HD channels while watching a BD iso rip with TMT 5, all at the same time with out issue. The q8200 was the newer version of the Q6600 if I recall, and the Q8200s, had the identical performance as the Q8200, just a lower TDP. With faster CPu's PC operations all become a little smoother, hard to describe, but I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Side note, I'm not having any issues, but if I did, I'd see if my intel Nic would yield better results. My InfiniTV 4 is listed on Ebay right now,I'm loving my ETH, I'm not looking back.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Was that a Q6600 or E6600?

Side note, I'm not having any issues, but if I did, I'd see if my intel Nic would yield better results. My InfiniTV 4 is listed on Ebay right now,I'm loving my ETH, I'm not looking back.

Its the Q6600 at 2.4GHz, although I did bump that up a little... My i5 has a Mark benchmark of 6000.

And sorry, got you confused with the other person having a network problem.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:

When I first got my ETH6, I had many problems, the lost tuners being the most prevalent. I tried a number of things but to no avail -- I kept losing the network connection on just my WMC computer, an Asus CM5570. I tried installing the latest drivers for not only the network card but also the video card and motherboard, as well as a BIOS update, changing the ethernet cable and changing the router port. No good. Then I started playing around with the network settings. Don't turn off, don't go to sleep, etc.. Still lost the tuners after anywhere from 2 to 20 hours.

Thinking it was the Ceton stuff I had just added, I decided to use a backup image from BEFORE adding any Ceton software. After 1/2 day, I lost the network connection. And then yet again the next morning. Based on that, I deduced it had nothing to do with Ceton software. I was going to do a clean Win7 install as well as add a new PCI ethernet card but because the CPU was underrated based on Ceton's web page I decided to get a new WMC computer (i5, 8GB, SSD OS, 1TB storage). Since then I have not had a network issue, just a couple failures on recording. I do however reboot that computer daily at 5PM and manually cycle the ETH6 every month.

I realize that buying a new desktop can be expensive but make sure your computer meets / exceeds what Ceton says is needed to run 6 tuners. If it does, going to a PCI ethernet card might be your next step if the drivers for the on-board one does not correct the problem -- they are pretty cheap.

Good luck!

Frank

I have an AMD APU A10-6700 with 8GB RAM.

EDIT: Just in case, I went ahead and purchased a PCIe Intel network card with a gift card I received for Christmas - making it free for me. smile.gif
Old 01-10-2014, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

... I was going to do a clean Win7 install as well as add a new PCI ethernet card but because the CPU was underrated based on Ceton's web page I decided to get a new WMC computer (i5, 8GB, SSD OS, 1TB storage). ...

What's the URL for that Ceton web page where you can see how adequate your CPU is?

TIA
Old 01-10-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post

What's the URL for that Ceton web page where you can see how adequate your CPU is?

TIA

http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/
Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:

TIA

I would shoot for a CPU that has around a 4000 Passmark CPU Mark or higher...

And it might not be clear but the OS needs to be 64 bit (Win7 or Win8). I made the mistake in reading that Win7 could be either flavor and that only Win8 needed to be 64 bit. That was wrong...

Frank.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Great, thanks! This is a big help. Got a little benchmarking fun coming my way.

I can see how one could misread the part about the Windows 7 OS being able to be 32-bit as well as 64-bit. I read it the first time the same way you did.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:14 PM

Had a tuner issue tonight - rebooted HTPC and Ceton Eth6. Hopefully this will all go away in a few days when Newegg delivers my Intel NIC.

EDIT: I love it when Newegg ships from NJ - I usually get the items next day. My Intel Ethernet card is to be delivered today. smile.gif
Old 01-10-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Great, thanks! This is a big help. Got a little benchmarking fun coming my way.

I can see how one could misread the part about the Windows 7 OS being able to be 32-bit as well as 64-bit. I read it the first time the same way you did.

I had a number of issues early on, mostly lost network connectivity which also meant no tuners. But I also had some freezing and other problems. It wasn't until my 3 or 4th email to Ceton that they finally said "oh, we see in the last dump that you are running 32 bit. Our software is written for 64 bit and we cannot predict (read: guarantee) how it will work..."

Now, like I said, rather than screw around I just went out and bought a new desktop w/64 bit OS, faster CPU, more RAM and a larger 7200RPM HD. That made sure that all criteria was meet based on their 'requirement' page, and therefore knew that any new failures were due to the software, not the environment.

Frank

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E