Latest Ceton InfiniTV 6 Info Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #811 of 997 Old 02-12-2014, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What number are you calling? Sounds like you're calling the generic 1-866 number rather than the activation hotline Ceton suggests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 997 Old 02-12-2014, 10:39 AM

Liked: 12
You would think I was with the experience I was having but nope. It's the cablecard activation line like I always use. I went and picked up a new cablecard and she couldn't get it to pair yet again. Tried sending a tech out 2 days from now but I'm not off from work again until next Wed so they are having someone come today.

Edit: Tech just left and didn't even know he was coming here about a cablecard. Luckily the card I have was fine and a few text messages to people on the other end with the digits and the signal came through and I'm up and running again. Now I just have to hope it keeps working this time and I don't come home from work one day with no channels again.
post #813 of 997 Old 03-05-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMinMI View Post

I have Charter with a TA. Your first screen is the same as mine -- I too see TA not installed so that is not a problem.

As for the TA tab, mine shows TR Status as a2 Ready 0. I do remember the first time I tried to get my ETH6 running, I had to mess around with the USB cable - the first one I tried did not work correctly (if I remember correctly, the rubber surrounding the mini USB connector was so fat it wasn't allowing full insertion. When I switched to a new cable, then cycled the ETH6 a couple of times (leaving the TA alone/on), it finally started to work. I guess I would suggest your check to make sure the cable is firmly connected, then only power cycle the ETH6. If that doesn't work, maybe there is a hardware problem with the TA or ETH6?

I'm sorry that I've taken so long to get back to this thread, but I've been really busy. Good news. Last week, our Charter phone went out and the technician that came to replace the modem was able to get the Tuning Adapter working. He had to call in to the Charter office and get them to do something to get it to connect on their end (can't remember the word he used). Now why couldn't the two techs I talked to on the phone do it?! That really ticks me off.

Mike Fields
post #814 of 997 Old 03-05-2014, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Haha Charter is pretty weird sometimes...During my installation, I had TA problems too. The first tech was a contractor/installer who had no idea what CableCARDs were, the second tech/contractor wasn't much better, so they finally sent a real Charter tech the third time. He knew what the issue was, but his supervisor wanted him to go through the tech call center for troubleshooting before calling local Engineering!!! He was pretty frustrated at that just like we are when we have to sit through tier 1 tech support cool.gif
post #815 of 997 Old 03-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
crickets

Anyone know if Tuner pooling is still beta? I was looking around, and didn't find any new information, but there's not a lot activity these days on the ceton form.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #816 of 997 Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

yeah, it's me again, like a poster said several pages back mention, I'm getting 3 weeks uptime before a power cycle of the ceton is required. My issue is pixilation, just happens all of a sudden, power cycle, and your good for another 3 weeks.

post #817 of 997 Old 03-10-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

yeah, it's me again, like a poster said several pages back mention, I'm getting 3 weeks uptime before a power cycle of the ceton is required. My issue is pixilation, just happens all of a sudden, power cycle, and your good for another 3 weeks.

Three times I tried to push it past 3 weeks and I lost shows within a few days of 4 weeks. Its 3 weeks and a reboot of my ETH and nightly reboots of the media center. But even with that schedule, I still see a show or two fail in that 3 week window frown.gif
post #818 of 997 Old 03-11-2014, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Three times I tried to push it past 3 weeks and I lost shows within a few days of 4 weeks. Its 3 weeks and a reboot of my ETH and nightly reboots of the media center. But even with that schedule, I still see a show or two fail in that 3 week window frown.gif

I've been looking at auto timers to help reboot automatically, but I'm not satisfied with the options. Here are some other devices that would be nice as well, this one, iboot G2, is a bit pricey. but there are several used ones on ebay, I had found another device, which had a built in timer, can be used with phone app, but I can not seemed to find it at the moment, it seemed like a good option, I believe I can set it to reboot once every two weeks, and then if there is still a problem, you can reboot it from your phone, easy for the wife to even do.

Here's the other one, finally found it, http://3gstore.com/product/4186_single_outlet_remote_power_switch.html.

post #819 of 997 Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:

I've been looking at auto timers to help reboot automatically, but I'm not satisfied with the options. Here are some other devices that would be nice as well, this one, iboot G2, is a bit pricey. but there are several used ones on ebay, I had found another device, which had a built in timer, can be used with phone app, but I can not seemed to find it at the moment, it seemed like a good option, I believe I can set it to reboot once every two weeks, and then if there is still a problem, you can reboot it from your phone, easy for the wife to even do.

Here's the other one, finally found it, http://3gstore.com/product/4186_single_outlet_remote_power_switch.html.

Wow. That is expensive. I just manually do the reboot of the ETH given its infrequent-ness. I have it as a calendar item with reminder. And if I am going on vacation, I do it right before I go. It is in a very easy location to get to.

Good luck,

Frank
post #820 of 997 Old 03-11-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow. That is expensive. I just manually do the reboot of the ETH given its infrequent-ness. I have it as a calendar item with reminder. And if I am going on vacation, I do it right before I go. It is in a very easy location to get to.

Good luck,

Frank

here's a another one, no idea how I missed it, it's wifi, http://www.belkin.com/us/F7C029-Belkin/p/P-F7C029%3bjsessionid=F5841C2FBB997D523B629827302CBB89/, I can acutally find other uses for this guy.

post #821 of 997 Old 03-11-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:

here's a another one, no idea how I missed it, it's wifi, http://www.belkin.com/us/F7C029-Belkin/p/P-F7C029%3bjsessionid=F5841C2FBB997D523B629827302CBB89/, I can acutally find other uses for this guy.

Yes, that is a 'newer' system that I have seen advertised on Newegg. And it uses WIFI to give you control via a smartphone. However the best you will be able to do with it (or the X10) is once per week control. Both only allow a rule to be created to turn off/on with a 1 minute increment once per week (on/off on a specific day of the week). You of course can do it more frequently but weekly would definitely work.
post #822 of 997 Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Found some flaws on the belkin, needs to be plugged into a UPS if being used with ceton to ensure reliability, after a power outage, the unit remains off, which is dumb, you can remotely turn it back on, but I'm not sure if you get a notification that the unit has been powered off, so you have no idea that it needs to be powered back on, so for lights and appliance, this would be fine.

post #823 of 997 Old 03-13-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Update from me - FWIW

I've had my Ceton InfiniTV 6 Eth installed and up/running for over 6 weeks now
  • I complained about the additional "blue spinning" disc time in WMC originally, but I've not noticed this behaviour since the first week
  • I'm not using any copy-once channels

Using ServerWMC for my Comcast channels has been stable for the entire time. I've not missed any recordings, and I've scheduled daily show / colbert report each M-Th 10-11. Also have a few other weekly recordings scheduled, and I've not missed one yet

I've also not experienced any need for forced reboots.

Out of curiosity, are those of you requiring a forced reboot (weekly or every three weeks, etc) using tuner pooling? I suppose since serverWMC shares all the server's (W8.1) tuners, recordings, guide data, buffer that I'm not actually testing tuner pooling, so it could be the culprit for those having such woes

Best of luck for those of you still having issues, but for my usage I'm a happy customer
post #824 of 997 Old 03-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Update from me - FWIW

I've had my Ceton InfiniTV 6 Eth installed and up/running for over 6 weeks now
  • I complained about the additional "blue spinning" disc time in WMC originally, but I've not noticed this behaviour since the first week
  • I'm not using any copy-once channels

Using ServerWMC for my Comcast channels has been stable for the entire time. I've not missed any recordings, and I've scheduled daily show / colbert report each M-Th 10-11. Also have a few other weekly recordings scheduled, and I've not missed one yet

I've also not experienced any need for forced reboots.

Out of curiosity, are those of you requiring a forced reboot (weekly or every three weeks, etc) using tuner pooling? I suppose since serverWMC shares all the server's (W8.1) tuners, recordings, guide data, buffer that I'm not actually testing tuner pooling, so it could be the culprit for those having such woes

Best of luck for those of you still having issues, but for my usage I'm a happy customer

thanks for speaking of "ServerWMC", not heard of it, I'm hanging on to my current setup with mymovies, and TMT for a while longer, not perfect for all media playback, but it does work, I'm keeping an eye on the current beta build of XBMC, also waiting for MBT to hit release candidate.

Back to your question, I'm not using tuner pooling, running the latest stable (I think) firmware/drivers with tuner assignment setup among 3 client PC's all running windows 7.

I know to reboot the ceton eth when Live TV becomes pixelated, some times it's only on one of the PC's, some times its on all of them, very strange, but power cycling the ETH provides the fix every time. I don't even have to reboot the PC's when I power cycle the tuner, but they need to be in standby, at the time, other wise they will need to be rebooted as well, I'm running MCE standby tool on two of the PC's and it reboots my PC's daily.

I keep meaning to update the realtek drivers to see if that helps, but just haven't gotten around to it, and that reminds me one poster was going to report back after installing a couple of Intel NIC's in their client PC's. I have an Intel nic in my box of PC parts that I plan to try out at some point.

post #825 of 997 Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Well, I had 50+ days of up time on my ETH6. Then 11 minutes into prime time it decided to spontaneously reboot. Killed 4 recordings in progress. I was doing something else and didn't see that it happened until about 40 minutes later. The recordings did not resume so I lost those shows and had to resort to network website watching through a browser (yucky).

Since WMC does not resume recordings when the Tuner reboots, I wanted to be notified when the Tuner drops off the network so I can do it manually. Found some tools for that:
Android App sounds alert when network device fails to ping (downside- it only pings once a minute so might miss the ETH reboot)
Windows Taskbar Tool pops up balloon and makes a sound when device fails to ping (downside- email notification not working for me)
post #826 of 997 Old 03-19-2014, 10:33 AM

Check on the ceton diag which you can find if go to networks and click your centron box. Your signal strength should be between 12 - -12 positive 12 to negitive 12 where 0 being best. This will at least let you know your signal strenth.
post #827 of 997 Old 03-21-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've had the InfiniTV 6 ETH version. I'm using the latest firmware and my tuning is still a 15 second delay. It's quite annoying, but it's been working fairly stable for over 2 weeks now.
The problem is maybe 10-15% of the time a show recording dies out. Once in a while, WMC is smart enough to re-record, but the worst situation is when I don't know it cut out and I go to watch the show a week later. For example, I was 2 weeks behind on The Walking Dead. I watched the show from 2 weeks ago and with 10 minutes left in the show, POW... nothing left. I can't re-record either as it's too late.

It's quite disturbing. I have tried my very best possible to ensure my coaxial cable run is perfect. I'm running straight from the Verizon ONT to my tuner. I have one coupler (not a splitter) by the ONT (I bypassed a splitter), and then the run is about 35 feet (guesstimate). It drills right through my wall from the exterior (no wall jack). That's probably the best I can do and still things aren't perfect.

My network is all cat6 UTP solid in the walls and cat6 UTP stranded for patch cables. I make great terminations and have a patch panel for the entire house, which then connects to a 24-port managed gigabit switch. I also was able to bypass Verizon's router (to which they don't believe me when I call them and tell them I don't use their router or their cable boxes), and run Tomato firmware on a Linksys E3000 router.

What are good ways of toying with the signal strength and signal noise? There are amplifiers out there and other devices as well. I'd heard about someone throwing some devices in the mix to toy with the signal, but now I'm unable to find the info.
post #828 of 997 Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
When the recording "dies out", does that mean it recorded a full hour but there is black screen recorded or does that mean it stops short of recording the full hour?

What are your current signal levels dBmV on the tuners?
What are your current SNR levels dB on the tuners?
What are your current tuner temperatures?
post #829 of 997 Old 03-22-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

When the recording "dies out", does that mean it recorded a full hour but there is black screen recorded or does that mean it stops short of recording the full hour?

What are your current signal levels dBmV on the tuners?
What are your current SNR levels dB on the tuners?
What are your current tuner temperatures?

Good questions, and I apologize for not giving that information initially. Let me feed all of the info we probably need here.

The recording gets cut off completely. It's not a black screen. It's short of the full hour.

Firmware: 13.5.6.132
Hardware Revision: 7359

Info on Tuners below (Signal Level, SNL, Temperature):
One: 8.7 dBmV, 39.4 dB, 61.1C
Two: 10.8 dBmV, 38.3 dB, 61.0C
Three: 10.7 dBmV, 39.9 dB, 61.1C
Four: 10.3 dBmV, 38.3 dB, 61.0C
Five: 8.7 dBmV, 38.3 dB, 61.1C
Six: 8.7 dBmV, 39.0 dB, 61.0C

Also, Card Authorization says:
Not Validated, Binding Authentication Complete, Validation Message not received yet

I see a Tuner Adapter tab also and TR Status is disabled for all (all of the other settings are "Unavailable" for the most part). No idea what that's for.

I assume you're going to say it's running hot. What USB-powered fan can I dump on there (I guess I could use the USB port on the ETH device)? What else do you suggest? Thanks for taking your time out of your day for me. smile.gif
post #830 of 997 Old 03-22-2014, 06:24 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post

Good questions, and I apologize for not giving that information initially. Let me feed all of the info we probably need here.

The recording gets cut off completely. It's not a black screen. It's short of the full hour.

Firmware: 13.5.6.132
Hardware Revision: 7359

Info on Tuners below (Signal Level, SNL, Temperature):
One: 8.7 dBmV, 39.4 dB, 61.1C
Two: 10.8 dBmV, 38.3 dB, 61.0C
Three: 10.7 dBmV, 39.9 dB, 61.1C
Four: 10.3 dBmV, 38.3 dB, 61.0C
Five: 8.7 dBmV, 38.3 dB, 61.1C
Six: 8.7 dBmV, 39.0 dB, 61.0C

Also, Card Authorization says:
Not Validated, Binding Authentication Complete, Validation Message not received yet

I see a Tuner Adapter tab also and TR Status is disabled for all (all of the other settings are "Unavailable" for the most part). No idea what that's for.

I assume you're going to say it's running hot. What USB-powered fan can I dump on there (I guess I could use the USB port on the ETH device)? What else do you suggest? Thanks for taking your time out of your day for me. smile.gif
They're definitely running on the hot side and your signal strengths are a bit on the high side too (which is common with FIOS). In addition to setting up a fan to blow on the ETH, a 10dB signal attenuator might help things out a bit. I believe there was some discussion on fan options earlier in this thread, but I used a 120mm PC fan hooked up to a Radio Shack adjustable voltage wall wart power supply so I can reduce the speed to keep the noise level down. There was also discussion on where to get the signal attenuators.

You definitely should get that card authorization message resolved - you may need to contact your provider and have them send an activation signal.

If you don't have a separate Tuning Adapter box, you don't need to worry about that tab. If you needed one, you would know as many channels wouldn't be tuning properly.
post #831 of 997 Old 03-22-2014, 06:32 PM

Wow, fast reponse! I will look into it. You guys rock!! smile.gif
Attenuator... that's the word I was looking for. I will look on Amazon.com. HomeDepot and Lowes don't see to carry them. Perhaps RadioShack will.

Any idea where the info on the attenuators and/or fan is? This thread is huge... trying to skim through. smile.gif I'm also trying to find out what the typical SNR should be. I'd like to understand how/why to adjust all levels (temperature is obvious, but the others I'm trying to understand).
post #832 of 997 Old 03-22-2014, 07:45 PM

I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply/dp/B002FH54L6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395541901&sr=1-2&keywords=wall+wart+12v
I have a billion PC fans, but I don't like how the 120V AC is in-line there. I'd rather a plug, to reduce the risk of fire. Still debating...

1. Also, how is the SNR adjusted (if ever needed)?
2. Still can't find where you guys are buying attenuators. I found one on Amazon, but it's $8 shipping.
post #833 of 997 Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply/dp/B002FH54L6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395541901&sr=1-2&keywords=wall+wart+12v
I have a billion PC fans, but I don't like how the 120V AC is in-line there. I'd rather a plug, to reduce the risk of fire. Still debating...

1. Also, how is the SNR adjusted (if ever needed)?
2. Still can't find where you guys are buying attenuators. I found one on Amazon, but it's $8 shipping.
Parts Express is one source for coax attenuators. The goal should be to get your signal as close to 0dBmV as you can, so something in the ballpark of a 10dB attenuator is what you'll want (just do a Google search for "coax attenuator" and you'll find them).

That power supply is major overkill to power a fan. Something like this from Radio Shack would work. Just cut off the Adaptaplug end and splice in the fan cable, and you're all set.
post #834 of 997 Old 03-22-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

That power supply is major overkill to power a fan. Something like this from Radio Shack would work. Just cut off the Adaptaplug end and splice in the fan cable, and you're all set.

The amazon link was for $8, and the Radio Shack link was $35. 

post #835 of 997 Old 03-22-2014, 09:38 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganf View Post

The amazon link was for $8, and the Radio Shack link was $35. 
I wasn't talking about price...
post #836 of 997 Old 03-23-2014, 06:02 AM

I have a box of DC adapters so I will find a 12v and splice in a PC fan. Heck I may even use a 9v dc adapter to run the fan quieter. I have a nice soldering station and shrink tubing so I can make something nice.

So in case I needed to reduce my SNR, how is that done?
post #837 of 997 Old 03-23-2014, 07:06 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I have a box of DC adapters so I will find a 12v and splice in a PC fan. Heck I may even use a 9v dc adapter to run the fan quieter. I have a nice soldering station and shrink tubing so I can make something nice.
If it's going to be in a location where noise might be a problem, I'd do a test run with the wires just twisted together before soldering to make sure the noise level will be ok.
Quote:
So in case I needed to reduce my SNR, how is that done?
I don't believe there's much, if anything, you can do to adjust the SNR. I don't believe your SNR numbers were a problem though.
post #838 of 997 Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 225
If a tuning adapter isn't required is there any reason you couldn't plug in a USB powered fan?
post #839 of 997 Old 03-23-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

If a tuning adapter isn't required is there any reason you couldn't plug in a USB powered fan?
You're right but the problem is I would also need to find a mini USB to USB adapter or a female USB b to a female USB adapter (to use the one that came in the box). I even looked for adapters at monoprice and couldn't fjnd any USB mini a stuff. It's all mini b which I have plenty of at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

If it's going to be in a location where noise might be a problem, I'd do a test run with the wires just twisted together before soldering to make sure the noise level will be ok.
I don't believe there's much, if anything, you can do to adjust the SNR. I don't believe your SNR numbers were a problem though.
Oh I totally will. I'm not a total idiot when it comes to electronics. I've gone to school for physics and elec engineering, and a senior IT manager at work. I just didn't know what safe ranges were for the device and what the term for attenuators was before. The info here I think is going to put me in good shape. I'm very thankful. There is a solution to every problem... It's all about how patient one can be. I just don't like dumping in dozens of hours because it takes away from family time. smile.gif my son turns one in a couple of weeks. He takes up a ton of my time! smile.gif
post #840 of 997 Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

You're right but the problem is I would also need to find a mini USB to USB adapter or a female USB b to a female USB adapter (to use the one that came in the box). I even looked for adapters at monoprice and couldn't fjnd any USB mini a stuff. It's all mini b which I have plenty of at home.
Doh! I was looking at the USB port on the InfiniTV 4 USB model! eek.gif Nevermind.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page