3Likes

post #901 of 997 Old 05-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

No problem here either, I'm not using the beta firmware, I'm set up with tuner assignments. PC1 2 tuners, PC2 3 tuners, and PC 3 one tuner. kicking like Van Damme. I'm using a couple trendnet gig switches, 5-6 year old DIR 655 gig router, and my PC's are old as dirt as well, my newest PC is running a first gen Icore 3-550, you can do the math on that one, all running Win 7 home, only cutting edge tech I have is I'm wired all cat 6. wink.gif

I reimaged 2 of the Windows 8.1 Computers and presto I can watch 3 streams at the same time. The channel tuning is not bad as well. It looks like Win 8.1 is the culprit here and was giving me headaches frown.gif. Lets see how long I can have 3 running at he same time. I have not replaced the switches to the HP Procurves just yet.

So it looks like Windows 8.1 does not like to play with Ceton stuff smile.gif.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 997 Old 05-08-2014, 12:10 PM

Liked: 10
Charter Cable in my area just went to 100% digital, and this time actually turned off all of the analog channels. So now I'm looking at Ceton's solution since it's much cheaper than renting their set top boxes. Can anyone clarify

1 - is tuner pooling still only available for ETH version? Or has it been enabled for PCIe?

2 - it appears like the majority are using ETH version, but recent posts have been leaning towards instability. Is this still the preferred version over PCIe?

Thanks!
post #903 of 997 Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verteggio View Post

Charter Cable in my area just went to 100% digital, and this time actually turned off all of the analog channels. So now I'm looking at Ceton's solution since it's much cheaper than renting their set top boxes. Can anyone clarify

1 - is tuner pooling still only available for ETH version? Or has it been enabled for PCIe?

2 - it appears like the majority are using ETH version, but recent posts have been leaning towards instability. Is this still the preferred version over PCIe?

Thanks!

It all depends on your current network setup and can it handle gigabit speeds? Also how many pc's are you going to watch on? I started out with a PCIE4 and was very happy with it. The ETH is a neat device but it is picky as heck and you have to have the network backbone to support it as others here have mentioned. I have spent some money getting to where I am at and do not see the savings anymore..lol
post #904 of 997 Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 PM

Network is Gigabit, yes... Initially it will be serving 4 PC's, but if setup works out that will expand back out to 6 PC's with 2x InfiniTV 6 installations. At that point may move it to a dedicated network if needed. I've been doing HTPC for many years, so fully aware of the commitment involved just new to using a networked tuner (used to be dedicated for each pc running a TV).

I'll recoup the cost after the first year if the device is solid
post #905 of 997 Old 05-08-2014, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Do you know what is protected in your market (encrypted is not the same as protected) as charter varies greatly... if in a protected market you may wish to go the extender route (xbox 360 / echo), that way you get consolidated recording as well as able to play back recordings at each location. To me the greatest advantage of the 6ETH (or any external tuner) is the ability to easily cool it with "any" air movement as too often I find the tuners not behave well when hot.
post #906 of 997 Old 05-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1B4ME View Post

I reimaged 2 of the Windows 8.1 Computers and presto I can watch 3 streams at the same time. The channel tuning is not bad as well. It looks like Win 8.1 is the culprit here and was giving me headaches frown.gif. Lets see how long I can have 3 running at he same time. I have not replaced the switches to the HP Procurves just yet.

So it looks like Windows 8.1 does not like to play with Ceton stuff smile.gif.

I have no experience with Win 8, of any variety. For a dedicated HTPC, Win 8 really offers not advantages over win 7, so I wonder why so many were in a hurry to upgrade. For a desktop, work Pc, sure, maybe folks like the interface. I'll be running win 7 with my WHS 2011 for a very long time to come.

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #907 of 997 Old 05-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

I have no experience with Win 8, of any variety. For a dedicated HTPC, Win 8 really offers not advantages over win 7, so I wonder why so many were in a hurry to upgrade. For a desktop, work Pc, sure, maybe folks like the interface. I'll be running win 7 with my WHS 2011 for a very long time to come.

I don't know why I updated most of my pc's to Windows 8.1 but it was a HUGE mistake. After going back down to Windows 7 and stopped using tuner pooling feature my issues have gone away.

I guess that fancy new laptop/tablet Sony Vaio Flip made me upgrade to Windows 8 but boy oh boy what a mistake.
post #908 of 997 Old 06-03-2014, 11:31 AM

I think I bought the wrong tuner. I purchased a interal/pci Ceton InfiniTV 6 when it was on sale about a month or so ago (cheapest I had seen). My HTPC isn't finished yet so it's still in the box. I was doing more research and found out I can't just assign tuners from the card to other computer, only extenders (part of me knew this but I didn't fully understand).

Anyway, my question is, if I sell this internal card and purchase an external InfiniTV 6 or HDHomeRun Prime, can I assign those extra tuners to other random PCs in my house, or does the external units require extenders as well? I just need viewing ability on the other PCs, not recording, I only need to record on my main HTPC. Also, if I understand correctly, only extenders can watch DVRed content from a main HTPC, even if I use a network tuner instead of an internal, DVRed content is locked to the PC it was recorded on unless I use an extender? Do I have all this straight now?
post #909 of 997 Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by essentialjpm View Post

I think I bought the wrong tuner. I purchased a interal/pci Ceton InfiniTV 6 when it was on sale about a month or so ago (cheapest I had seen). My HTPC isn't finished yet so it's still in the box. I was doing more research and found out I can't just assign tuners from the card to other computer, only extenders (part of me knew this but I didn't fully understand).

Anyway, my question is, if I sell this internal card and purchase an external InfiniTV 6 or HDHomeRun Prime, can I assign those extra tuners to other random PCs in my house, or does the external units require extenders as well? I just need viewing ability on the other PCs, not recording, I only need to record on my main HTPC. Also, if I understand correctly, only extenders can watch DVRed content from a main HTPC, even if I use a network tuner instead of an internal, DVRed content is locked to the PC it was recorded on unless I use an extender? Do I have all this straight now?

I have only had/used the external Ethernet 6 unit so I cannot comment on the internal card. With the ETH6, any of my 4 computers on the GB network that run Windows 7 SP1 can 'grab' any of the unused 6 tuners (I have one that is still on XP and it doesn't work). It should also work with Windows 8. In addition I have an Echo on a TV without a computer. I am running Ceton's beta software that allows for tuner pooling and have had no issues. Before switching to the beta software, their software did allow you to specify to which computer(s) the tuners would be assigned. I did not like that setup at all and am happy with the current pooling feature.

As for recorded DVR/Media Center content, I have Charter and have NO issues what-so-ever in playing back the shows on any of the other networked PCs OR on my laptop after I download the .WTV files to it. However, I do not record premium channels like HBO or Showtime - maybe those would not work.

Finally, I am surprised that the internal PC card would act any differently than the ETH6. Maybe someone else on the forum who has it can confirm your findings. But take note - from what I read I think the card is less finicky than the external ETH6 to use.

Hope this helps.

Frank
Michigan
post #910 of 997 Old 06-03-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If you have Windows 7, you can manually assign the tuners to other computers. But the assigned tuners will be locked to those computers and no other computer will be able to use the tuner even if it's free. If you have the Ceton InfiniTV ETH 6 or HDHR Prime, they have a "pool" of tuners that any computer can use if it's available.
post #911 of 997 Old 06-03-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

If you have Windows 7, you can manually assign the tuners to other computers. But the assigned tuners will be locked to those computers and no other computer will be able to use the tuner even if it's free. If you have the Ceton InfiniTV ETH 6 or HDHR Prime, they have a "pool" of tuners that any computer can use if it's available.

That's what I wanted, the "pool" feature. Damn, I'm past my return window for the internal. Oh well, I'll keep my eye out for external deals.

Thanks.
post #912 of 997 Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm confused. Is the beta software on the GB forum different than the beta software available via the diagnostic utility? I've installed the one via the diagnostic utility, but it's still asking me to assign tuners. Is dynamic tuner assignment an option you choose during setup, or during configuration? I don't recall seeing the option in either case, so I'm wondering if I have the wrong software.

Or do you still have to assign tuners regardless?
post #913 of 997 Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 PM

WMC will still ask you to assign tuners, but "pooling" will work regardless.
sanjoelo likes this.
post #914 of 997 Old 06-05-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Okay, that's what I suspected. and thanks for your reply.
post #915 of 997 Old 06-06-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoelo View Post

I'm confused. Is the beta software on the GB forum different than the beta software available via the diagnostic utility? I've installed the one via the diagnostic utility, but it's still asking me to assign tuners. Is dynamic tuner assignment an option you choose during setup, or during configuration? I don't recall seeing the option in either case, so I'm wondering if I have the wrong software.

Or do you still have to assign tuners regardless?

It isn't the firmware that's the key. It is the installation software. Once you run the current installation software (Win 7) you rerun TV Signal Setup. It will find the tuners available and allow you to agree with what is found. In my case where I previously had static tuners assigned I have access to all 4 of the Cetons on every system in the house. With the current software you do not select individual Ceton tuners. I only have a Ceton 4 PCIe, so I don't know how it looks with multiple Ceton devices. I have 3 Silicon HD Homerun Tuners plugged to rooftop antenna lead as well. TV Signal Setup finds 3 ATSC and 4 Cablecard tuners.

Just another blank signature.
post #916 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

It isn't the firmware that's the key. It is the installation software. Once you run the current installation software (Win 7) you rerun TV Signal Setup. It will find the tuners available and allow you to agree with what is found. In my case where I previously had static tuners assigned I have access to all 4 of the Cetons on every system in the house. With the current software you do not select individual Ceton tuners. I only have a Ceton 4 PCIe, so I don't know how it looks with multiple Ceton devices. I have 3 Silicon HD Homerun Tuners plugged to rooftop antenna lead as well. TV Signal Setup finds 3 ATSC and 4 Cablecard tuners.

Now I'm confused again, I posted before about the pooling feature and was lead to believe it was just for external tuners. I wanted all 6 on the tuners to be available to any PC in the house as well, but thought I couldn't do this with an internal card, I thought the internal card could assign tuners to extenders, but any PC couldn't just grab an available tuner. If you have an internal PCIe and can "pool" your tuners as a result of the software setup, then I sold my InfiniTV 6 PCIe for nothing, d'oh!
post #917 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by essentialjpm View Post

Now I'm confused again, I posted before about the pooling feature and was lead to believe it was just for external tuners. I wanted all 6 on the tuners to be available to any PC in the house as well, but thought I couldn't do this with an internal card, I thought the internal card could assign tuners to extenders, but any PC couldn't just grab an available tuner. If you have an internal PCIe and can "pool" your tuners as a result of the software setup, then I sold my InfiniTV 6 PCIe for nothing, d'oh!
Pooling works fine with the latest installation software and my PCIe 4

post #918 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

Ceton tuner pooling was only available on the eth way back when, and the firmware/hardware version is still beta, as far as I know.

Install With Tuner Pooling (beta – advanced users only): Make sure “Include beta updates” button is checked on.
 Select the Beta Hardware version shown and click the Update button. The update can take several minutes.
 Once the update is finished unplug the power cable to your InfiniTV 6 ETH, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in.
 Select the Beta Firmware version shown and click the Update button. The update can take several minutes.
 Once the update is finished unplug the power cable to your InfiniTV 6 ETH, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/InfiniTV_6_ETH_Quick_Installation_Guide.pdf

post #919 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 01:31 PM

AFAIK, tuner pooling is still only on the ETH. I can't find any references to it being on the PCIe versions on the Ceton website
post #920 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 01:44 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:

AFAIK, tuner pooling is still only on the ETH. I can't find any references to it being on the PCIe versions on the Ceton website
I believe that's correct. Tuner sharing is available on the PCI cards, which allows you to assign each tuner to a specific PC. But pooling, which makes all tuners available to multiple PC's (whoever requests the tuner first gets it), is only available on the ETH model.
post #921 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

This is plain silly install the current installation software. It removes the legacy Ceton Windows Media Center app. It does not require the beta firmware. I was running the last non-beta release and the new software installed and work fine. I have half a dozen Win7 boxes amnd they all are running it with access to all available tuners. It changes channel a little slower and WMC takes a little longer to open the guide but it work just fine. Sheesh.. come on guys wake up!

post #922 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:

This is plain silly install the current installation software. It removes the legacy Ceton Windows Media Center app. It does not require the beta firmware. I was running the last non-beta release and the new software installed and work fine. I have half a dozen Win7 boxes amnd they all are running it with access to all available tuners. It changes channel a little slower and WMC takes a little longer to open the guide but it work just fine. Sheesh.. come on guys wake up!

So you have a PCIe InfiniTV, and you have not set up tuner sharing, and computers other than the computer the InfiniTV is in can see the InfiniTV, and every computer can use every tuner on the InfiniTV? When did Ceton say this was possible?
post #923 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

This is plain silly ... Sheesh.. come on guys wake up!
And you wonder why your posts get deleted by JRiver. rolleyes.gif Perhaps if you lightened up on the attitude you would have better results interacting with other people on these forums...

I have a pair of ETH's and sold my InfiniTV 4 PCIe cards a while ago, so I can't run any sort of test to confirm or deny your claims, but what we've all been saying is how it worked up until possibly relatively recently if they finally added pooling support for the PCIe cards.
post #924 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 01:54 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

So you have a PCIe InfiniTV, and you have not set up tuner sharing, and computers other than the computer the InfiniTV is in can see the InfiniTV, and every computer can use every tuner on the InfiniTV? When did Ceton say this was possible?
It must have been when the rest of us were sleeping. wink.gif
post #925 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to last drop!

post #926 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 01:59 PM

Sorry, now I'm confused. gtgray, is that the situation or is it not?
post #927 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have no clue. I just installed the current install app on a PC and was looking all over for the network tuner utility. I could not find so I guess they upgraded software to support pooling. Ran TV setup and it found all 4 tuners,even though 3 of the tuners were statically assigned to other PCs.

Went around the rest of the house and ran the current install software pretty much everywhere and oila! cable TV everywhere. Better to be lucky than good.

post #928 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, now I'm confused. gtgray, is that the situation or is it not?
Yes it works just fine.. install enjoy!

post #929 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have no clue. I just installed the current install app on a PC and was looking all over for the network tuner utility. I could not find so I guess they upgraded software to support pooling. Ran TV setup and it found all 4 tuners,even though 3 of the tuners were statically assigned to other PCs.

Went around the rest of the house and ran the current install software pretty much everywhere and oila! cable TV everywhere. Better to be lucky than good.

I can't dispute your claim, and have no reason not believe, but "tuner" pooling has always been a function of the beta firmware/hardware available only on the ETH.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472563/latest-ceton-infinitv-6-info-thread/90#post_23325662

Unlike the PCI Express and USB versions of InfiniTV, InfiniTV 6 ETH is an Ethernet-connected tuner that plugs into your home network and not to a specific PC. This makes it a great solution if you want to share tuners with other PCs on your network. You can assign specific tuners to specific PCs – for example, assigning tuners 1 to 4 to one PC and tuners 5-6 to another. We’re also adding dynamic tuner pooling to InfiniTV 6 ETH, which will automatically allocate the 6 tuners between different PCs as needed. Dynamic tuner pooling is currently available in beta firmware through the Ceton Diagnostics Tool.

I've been waiting for tuner pooling to come out of Beta, before taking the plunge, but with 6 tuners, I've not even had the need for it.

Maybe you can inform Ceton so they can update their install guides. Tuner pooling is only mentioned on the ETH when using the beta firmware/hardware version.

http://cetoncorp.com/documents/InfiniTV_6_PCIe_Quick_Installation_Guide.pdf

http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/InfiniTV_6_ETH_Quick_Installation_Guide.pdf

post #930 of 997 Old 06-09-2014, 03:18 PM

I would think Ceton would tout it if they really introduced tuner pooling to the PCIe models. I'll have to try it myself next week...
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E