Latest Ceton InfiniTV 6 Info Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
All it takes is a Ceton PCie and 10 to 15 minutes of your time to install their current software. This is beyond silly. I am not making an incredible claim. If you have the hardware, do yourself a favor and install the current software. No it does not require the beta firmware. I am running the beta firmware but I ran the current installation software with the production firmware and it just works. I really kind of astonished at the response here. Why Ceton has not promoted this capability is not for me to answer. Nor is it for me to chase them down and tell them to advertise it. Just install software and run TV Signal Setup, that's it. Good Grief rolleyes.gif

Just another blank signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

You do have to install at each PC that you want the capability. I have 4 Desktops running it and one Laptop all Win7, a mixture of Premium and Pro, 32 and 64 bit.

post #933 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post

I would think Ceton would tout it if they really introduced tuner pooling to the PCIe models. I'll have to try it myself next week...
In that case, I didn't have to spend an extra $150 to buy the 6 ETH and sell my 4 PCIe. 4 was plenty if it could have been shared.
post #934 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dM@n View Post

In that case, I didn't have to spend an extra $150 to buy the 6 ETH and sell my 4 PCIe. 4 was plenty if it could have been shared.

Well I'm still not convinced it's actually possible. I'll try it myself when I get back home next week. Is there any one else that has tuner pooling on a PCIe InfiniTV?
post #935 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

That all depends on timing. I discovered it only because I decided I would change around which PCs had tuners assigned. I had no idea that tuner pooling was out of beta. Hell, I don't even know if it made the transition to production by intent. Maybe it is an accident. I can only say I installed multiple times over about a week and it just works. There is no configuration that you do. You just install and run WMC TV Signal Setup. That process is painless and seems quite robust unlike the early days.

post #936 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The current software for Win7 doesn't even give you the option to statically assign tuners from what I can see. It also seems to coexist with the older software with static assignments. I never tried to run all the tuners at one time as that does not fit my usage pattern. I seldom record and I am the only heavy TV watcher here. But it worked at every PC in the house.,Every box got except for another Laptop that I only use for ChromaPure Calibration software and I did not bother to install there. Like I said it just works. It took me a week to get around to installing on each PC.

post #937 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

The current software for Win7 doesn't even give you the option to statically assign tuners from what I can see. It also seems to coexist with the older software with static assignments. I never tried to run all the tuners at one time as that does not fit my usage pattern. I seldom record and I am the only heavy TV watcher here. But it worked at every PC in the house.,Every box got except for another Laptop that I only use for ChromaPure Calibration software and I did not bother to install there. Like I said it just works. It took me a week to get around to installing on each PC.
Could you try running your TVs simultaneously and see if you can do more than 4 at once? Then, turn off one TV only and see if another TV can record a second channel (never totaling more than 4 simultaneous tuners). A lot o guys are eager to understand what's going on here. smile.gif
post #938 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Is there any one else that has tuner pooling on a PCIe InfiniTV?
I have a PCIe InfiniTV4 but I only have one WMC computer. Is there any way to test it with WHS 2011? If I install the tuner card in my server would the tuners be available to the HTPC without assigning them?

I have driver package version 12.12.26.1250, PCIe driver version 1.0.2.4, Firmware 1.1.8.2, and Hardware Version 6212. Is this what's needed for pooling or do I need to update something. The diagnostic tool says there are no updates. Ever since the Echo firmware fiasco I refuse to do Ceton beta versions of anything.
post #939 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I have a PCIe InfiniTV4 but I only have one WMC computer. Is there any way to test it with WHS 2011? If I install the tuner card in my server would the tuners be available to the HTPC without assigning them?

I have driver package version 12.12.26.1250, PCIe driver version 1.0.2.4, Firmware 1.1.8.2, and Hardware Version 6212. Is this what's needed for pooling or do I need to update something. The diagnostic tool says there are no updates. Ever since the Echo firmware fiasco I refuse to do Ceton beta versions of anything.

Hosting in the WHS should work. My brother did this for awhile. His Comcast Cable service was never good enough to make Cetons work reliably. He has since gone to Dish Hopper and whatever their remote clients are. If you go to Ceton's site and install the latest software for Win7 on the PCs that will work with current production firmware. I have no idea what the Firmware version number was. I can only tell you that it said it was latest. I don't recall it uncover the beta option until I upgraded to the latest install software. But the important point is that the installation software that supports tuner pooling did not require the beta for tuner pooling. I really can't make much clearer.

post #940 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by verteggio View Post

Charter Cable in my area just went to 100% digital, and this time actually turned off all of the analog channels. So now I'm looking at Ceton's solution since it's much cheaper than renting their set top boxes. Can anyone clarify

1 - is tuner pooling still only available for ETH version? Or has it been enabled for PCIe?

2 - it appears like the majority are using ETH version, but recent posts have been leaning towards instability. Is this still the preferred version over PCIe?

Thanks!

1. Tuner Pooling is only available on the InfiniTV 6 ETH. There are no plans to bring Tuner Pooling to other products. The PCIe InfiniTV 4 and USB InfiniTV 4 support Network Tuners (static tuner assignment) under Windows 7. This is not supported on the InfiniTV 6 PCIe or on any tuner under Windows 8.

2. All InfiniTV products run the same firmware. We are unaware of any widespread issues with any specific tuner, or the platform as a whole. I would encourage anyone running into issues to upgrade to our latest release, and if the issue persists, contact Ceton support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by essentialjpm View Post

I think I bought the wrong tuner. I purchased a interal/pci Ceton InfiniTV 6 when it was on sale about a month or so ago (cheapest I had seen). My HTPC isn't finished yet so it's still in the box. I was doing more research and found out I can't just assign tuners from the card to other computer, only extenders (part of me knew this but I didn't fully understand).

Anyway, my question is, if I sell this internal card and purchase an external InfiniTV 6 or HDHomeRun Prime, can I assign those extra tuners to other random PCs in my house, or does the external units require extenders as well? I just need viewing ability on the other PCs, not recording, I only need to record on my main HTPC. Also, if I understand correctly, only extenders can watch DVRed content from a main HTPC, even if I use a network tuner instead of an internal, DVRed content is locked to the PC it was recorded on unless I use an extender? Do I have all this straight now?

The InfiniTV 6 PCIe does not support any function of sharing tuners to other PCs. It sounds like the InfiniTV 6 ETH would be more appropriate for your application. With the InfiniTV 6 ETH, there is no need to "assign" tuners - the pool simply offers them on a first-come, first-served basis.

Protected (Copy Once) content can only be watched on the PC that recorded it or WMC Extenders. Copy Freely (Unprotected) content can be watched on any PC.
Quote:

If you have Windows 7, you can manually assign the tuners to other computers. But the assigned tuners will be locked to those computers and no other computer will be able to use the tuner even if it's free. If you have the Ceton InfiniTV ETH 6 or HDHR Prime, they have a "pool" of tuners that any computer can use if it's available.

Network Tuners (not tuner pooling) is only supported using InfiniTV 4 products on Windows 7. It is not supported on the InfiniTV 6 PCIe, or any product under Windows 8. The InfiniTV 6 ETH supports Tuner Pooling (dynamic tuner assignment) on any OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoelo View Post

I'm confused. Is the beta software on the GB forum different than the beta software available via the diagnostic utility? I've installed the one via the diagnostic utility, but it's still asking me to assign tuners. Is dynamic tuner assignment an option you choose during setup, or during configuration? I don't recall seeing the option in either case, so I'm wondering if I have the wrong software.

Or do you still have to assign tuners regardless?

The software on TGB is the same as the beta from the diagnostic utility - we just released it to TGB first for initial feedback. There are no changes related to Network Tuners/Tuner Pooling in this software release.

Quote:

I would think Ceton would tout it if they really introduced tuner pooling to the PCIe models. I'll have to try it myself next week...

No PCIe InfiniTV tuners support Tuner Pooling; The InfiniTV 6 ETH is the only InfiniTV product which supports Tuner Pooling.

Quote:

Hosting in the WHS should work. My brother did this for awhile. His Comcast Cable service was never good enough to make Cetons work reliably. He has since gone to Dish Hopper and whatever their remote clients are. If you go to Ceton's site and install the latest software for Win7 on the PCs that will work with current production firmware. I have no idea what the Firmware version number was. I can only tell you that it said it was latest. I don't recall it uncover the beta option until I upgraded to the latest install software. But the important point is that the installation software that supports tuner pooling did not require the beta for tuner pooling. I really can't make much clearer.

Using an InfiniTV tuner on WHS2011 is not officially supported (though should work). If you run into trouble and contact tech support, they may ask you to install the tuner on a supported platform.
gsr and dbailey75 like this.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #941 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 03:24 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 153
^ Thank you for your post, Eric.
post #942 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

1. Tuner Pooling is only available on the InfiniTV 6 ETH. There are no plans to bring Tuner Pooling to other products. The PCIe InfiniTV 4 and USB InfiniTV 4 support Network Tuners (static tuner assignment) under Windows 7. This is not supported on the InfiniTV 6 PCIe or on any tuner under Windows 8.

2. All InfiniTV products run the same firmware. We are unaware of any widespread issues with any specific tuner, or the platform as a whole. I would encourage anyone running into issues to upgrade to our latest release, and if the issue persists, contact Ceton support.
The InfiniTV 6 PCIe does not support any function of sharing tuners to other PCs. It sounds like the InfiniTV 6 ETH would be more appropriate for your application. With the InfiniTV 6 ETH, there is no need to "assign" tuners - the pool simply offers them on a first-come, first-served basis.

Protected (Copy Once) content can only be watched on the PC that recorded it or WMC Extenders. Copy Freely (Unprotected) content can be watched on any PC.
Network Tuners (not tuner pooling) is only supported using InfiniTV 4 products on Windows 7. It is not supported on the InfiniTV 6 PCIe, or any product under Windows 8. The InfiniTV 6 ETH supports Tuner Pooling (dynamic tuner assignment) on any OS.
The software on TGB is the same as the beta from the diagnostic utility - we just released it to TGB first for initial feedback. There are no changes related to Network Tuners/Tuner Pooling in this software release.
No PCIe InfiniTV tuners support Tuner Pooling; The InfiniTV 6 ETH is the only InfiniTV product which supports Tuner Pooling.
Using an InfiniTV tuner on WHS2011 is not officially supported (though should work). If you run into trouble and contact tech support, they may ask you to install the tuner on a supported platform.

So just exactly what am I seeing????

I have no tuners assigned statically and there is no option to do so in the current software.

As a test I will power up 4 pcs and displays and see what happens. Ok, I have 4 PC running WMC. 3 have different HD Cable running. The 4th came up with no tuner available. They are very sluggish in tuning and selecting the channels.

post #943 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

It will dynamically assign 3 tunes, the 4th it won't assign. Once you asked a 4th on a 4th PC you will get the No Tuner available and an offer to run TV setup. Obviously I delince. It does not matter which PC I tune a station. As long as I don't ask for the 4th tuner it works. Based on what I see if I were Ceton I would say it doesn't work either. So depending on your ambitions and your needs it may meet. For my usage pattern it works fine. I can not imagine a usage where I would need access to more than 3. Other than in a test situation I will not need that. I also have HD Homeruns for locals so.. 3 dynamic is good enough. 99% of the time I will never use more than 2 at a time one recording, one viewing. A big portion of the time I will use <1.

post #944 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

It will dynamically assign 3 tunes, the 4th it won't assign. Once you asked a 4th on a 4th PC you will get the No Tuner available and an offer to run TV setup. Obviously I delince. It does not matter which PC I tune a station. As long as I don't ask for the 4th tuner it works.

There is no dynamic assignment of any number of tuners on 4-tuner products, period. My guess is WMC is trying to use tuners, unable to and failing, hence the long time to tune. This is not a supported configuration and I expect you will have issues with this.

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #945 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

^ Thank you for your post, Eric.

Yep, good to see you Eric over at AVS. It's seems like it's been a while

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #946 of 958 Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no dynamic assignment of any number of tuners on 4-tuner products, period. My guess is WMC is trying to use tuners, unable to and failing, hence the long time to tune. This is not a supported configuration and I expect you will have issues with this.

OKAY so it is not a supported configuration. To the degree it works it is curiosity then and nothing more. Well, I did not really ask you for support and I am glad you jumped over her expeditiously to put out any fires of doubt I was inadvertently spreading. I don't really care whether it is supported or not. It beats static fixed assignment for me as any PC I sit down to in my home now has access to a Ceton tuner supported or not. Glad you cleared it all up. Now I will formally apologize to the user base for suggesting that tuner pooling was a feature of your software. When as you point out it is WMC not your software that is allowing for a tuner to be shared between machines. I do have a problem/question about your semantics. If WMC is seeing a tuner on another PC then isn't a tuner shared on the network?. Tuner pooling/sharing/anomaly.

post #947 of 958 Old 06-11-2014, 06:14 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

OKAY so it is not a supported configuration. To the degree it works it is curiosity then and nothing more. Well, I did not really ask you for support and I am glad you jumped over her expeditiously to put out any fires of doubt I was inadvertently spreading. I don't really care whether it is supported or not. It beats static fixed assignment for me as any PC I sit down to in my home now has access to a Ceton tuner supported or not. Glad you cleared it all up. Now I will formally apologize to the user base for suggesting that tuner pooling was a feature of your software. When as you point out it is WMC not your software that is allowing for a tuner to be shared between machines. I do have a problem/question about your semantics. If WMC is seeing a tuner on another PC then isn't a tuner shared on the network?. Tuner pooling/sharing/anomaly.
What's happening in your configuration is the following:

1) WMC PC#1 uses tuner 1 to tune a channel.
2) WMC PC#2 tries to use tuner 1 to tune a channel, but the tuner appears to be bad because it's already in use.
3) WMC PC#2 tries to use tuner 2 to tune a channel and has success.
4) WMC PC#3 tries to use tuner 1 to tune a channel, but the tuner appears to be bad because it's already in use.
5) WMC PC#3 tries to use tuner 2 to tune a channel, but the tuner appears to be bad because it's already in use.
6) WMC PC#2 tries to use tuner 3 to tune a channel and has success.

This is obviously an extremely inefficient way to allocate a tuner and, as Eric pointed out, probably explains why you're seeing slow tuning.

With tuner pooling, it works like this:

1) WMC PC#1 tries to use tuner 1 and the Ceton tuner pool assigns tuner #1 to that PC.
2) WMC PC#2 tries to use tuner 1 and the Ceton tuner pool assigns tuner #2 to that PC.
2) WMC PC#3 tries to use tuner 1 and the Ceton tuner pool assigns tuner #3 to that PC.

That's a LOT more efficient. The tuner numbers in WMC essentially become virtual tuners that get mapped to physical tuners by the Ceton tuner pool.

So I guess we all weren't a bunch of bumbling idiots after all... rolleyes.gif
post #948 of 958 Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by gtgray

What's happening in your configuration is the following:

1) WMC PC#1 uses tuner 1 to tune a channel.
2) WMC PC#2 tries to use tuner 1 to tune a channel, but the tuner appears to be bad because it's already in use.
3) WMC PC#2 tries to use tuner 2 to tune a channel and has success.
4) WMC PC#3 tries to use tuner 1 to tune a channel, but the tuner appears to be bad because it's already in use.
5) WMC PC#3 tries to use tuner 2 to tune a channel, but the tuner appears to be bad because it's already in use.
6) WMC PC#2 tries to use tuner 3 to tune a channel and has success.

This is obviously an extremely inefficient way to allocate a tuner and, as Eric pointed out, probably explains why you're seeing slow tuning.

With tuner pooling, it works like this:

1) WMC PC#1 tries to use tuner 1 and the Ceton tuner pool assigns tuner #1 to that PC.
2) WMC PC#2 tries to use tuner 1 and the Ceton tuner pool assigns tuner #2 to that PC.
2) WMC PC#3 tries to use tuner 1 and the Ceton tuner pool assigns tuner #3 to that PC.

That's a LOT more efficient. The tuner numbers in WMC essentially become virtual tuners that get mapped to physical tuners by the Ceton tuner pool.

So I guess we all weren't a bunch of bumbling idiots after all...
Actually it can work quite well until you ask for the 3rd tuner then it gets slow and breaks asking for the 4th. I already apologized. The language you are choosing is unfortunate and not even part of my thought process.

post #949 of 958 Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can I use a PlayStation 3 as an extender for this device?
will there be any limitations to using the ps3 as an extender?
Will the PS3 be capable of accessing recordings from multiple sources?
Is tuner pooling working well? i know when it was released tuner pooling was in beta.
post #950 of 958 Old 07-13-2014, 09:31 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon1972 View Post
Nope, you need to use a Window Media Extender, such as an XBOX 360 in conjunction with Windows Media Center running on Windows 7 or Windows 8 for full functionality. The Ceton tuners can also be used with other software, such as JRiver Media Center, but there are some limitations because WMC is the only software that will work with encrypted channels, such as HBO. Some providers encrypt all channels, some only encrypt premium channels such as HBO.

Quote:
Is tuner pooling working well? i know when it was released tuner pooling was in beta.
I'm not sure if it's still considered beta, but yes it's working well.
post #951 of 958 Old 07-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Nope, you need to use a Window Media Extender, such as an XBOX 360 in conjunction with Windows Media Center running on Windows 7 or Windows 8 for full functionality. The Ceton tuners can also be used with other software, such as JRiver Media Center, but there are some limitations because WMC is the only software that will work with encrypted channels, such as HBO. Some providers encrypt all channels, some only encrypt premium channels such as HBO.

I'm not sure if it's still considered beta, but yes it's working well.
So if I bought the echo media extender would these encrypted channels be available or not?
What if I used an xbox360? Would the encrypted channels be restricted then?
post #952 of 958 Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
So if I bought the echo media extender would these encrypted channels be available or not?
What if I used an xbox360? Would the encrypted channels be restricted then?
The Echo and XBOX360 are both Windows Media Center extenders. So all channels, including encrypted ones, will work on them. Based on Ceton's handling of the Echo, I wouldn't purchase one as they failed to deliver on a number of promises and have stopped working on the code which, based on my understanding, means no further bug fixes and certainly no new features to deliver on those promises. If you need extenders, XBOX 360's are probably the best option.
post #953 of 958 Old 07-13-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Additionally, I don't believe any extender other than the Xbox360 will work with WMC on Windows 8.
post #954 of 958 Old 07-13-2014, 03:11 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkimbro View Post
Additionally, I don't believe any extender other than the Xbox360 will work with WMC on Windows 8.
Yes, I believe that's correct.
post #955 of 958 Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 PM

Well I already have a Server Computer, and one HTPC running win 7. Im just thinking building a second HTPC will be too much out of pocket right now plus me and the wife want one of those spiffy 4k UHD TV's but we want to wait till there is a better UHD content standard and its not proprietary.

As a Media Extender would the XBox 360 be capable of playing recordings? And would it be able to play the encrypted recordings?
post #956 of 958 Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Have had ETH since September of last year, which was an upgrade from InfiniTV4 PCIe that we had since 2010.

Works great!

We also have 6x ATSC tuners (3x SDHR Duals) for OTA content.

Yes, XBOX360 will play protected content.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #957 of 958 Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
will there be any limitations to using the ps3 as an extender?
Will the PS3 be capable of accessing recordings from multiple sources?
PS3 is not a WMC extender, however, it is a DTCP-IP device, and you can use it to view LIVE TV from a SiliconDust HomeRun Prime tuner. There will be no guide, no ability to record or pause live TV. It will act like a dumb Cable TV adapter. i.e. you don't need HTPC with Windows to use it as a cable box.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #958 of 958 Old 07-16-2014, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Well I already have a Server Computer, and one HTPC running win 7. Im just thinking building a second HTPC will be too much out of pocket right now plus me and the wife want one of those spiffy 4k UHD TV's but we want to wait till there is a better UHD content standard and its not proprietary.

As a Media Extender would the XBox 360 be capable of playing recordings? And would it be able to play the encrypted recordings?
Theoretically, the HTPC and extender is the ideal setup, as you have no issue viewing any recording, encrypted or not. Ex. I have two HPTCs, and centralized storage of recorded TV, if I record something from say HBO on PC 1, it can only be watched on PC1. PC 2 can see the recording, but it can not play the file, this is all part of the DRM, stuff, maybe DRM is not the correct term, but you get the picture. But with extenders, you only have one recording device, the HTPC, and all extenders by their nature are and extensiosn of the "htpc", so you basically have the ideal centralized recording setup, the only challenge with the extenders, other than the xbox 360, your options are limited to discontinued devices.

Now with that said, I have no problem with running multiple HTPC's, and no extenders, I get more functionality for my other media requirements having full blown PCs. You can watch TV on your Desktop computer in your office, on your laptop as well, wired connection recommended.

also mediabrowswer has come up with a way to stream live tv, you can check that out as well. http://mediabrowser.tv/community/ind...um/97-live-tv/

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Ceton , Ceton Infinitv 6 Pcie 5205 Dct06in Pcie Six Tuner Card For Watching Digital Cable Tv On The Pc Pci E

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page